Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
    Yep, 100yd shots are possible with a springer, it was me behind the trigger of the Prosport down at the SDFTC ground. Given the consistency off my shots of the bench I don't doubt this can be extended.

200yds with a springer ?????, we'll all have to put a fiver in a hat Rodd, and if Mr HW100 hits it, it doesnt count, spring guns only and besides, his ability to shoot standing is far too clever by half so he's disqualified before we start .

Go with whatever shooting position you feel most comfortable with Bellycrawler, just remember a light supportive hold will work best with a springer, don't try to rest it or lock it in a vice like grip.
    Looks like I'll have to take that sr12 scope off my HW100 and ask my mate if I can use it on his old HW80 springer. I'm up for some of those fivers lol.

Other club members rangefinder came out after you left, set the cans out at bang on 100yds.

Kept hitting one can, knocking it a little further up the field each time.
    I ran out of aiming points at 106 yds and had to start winding down the mag on the scope. Didnt help that the wind was really pushing the pellets down today.

We measured out to the brow of the hill with the range finder, only 168yds

Do 'gas rams' count ?, my HW90K will have to come out.

How you getting on Bellycrawler ?.

Not been to the range yet.
    Can't use the farm as they are ploughing - seeding ect.
    I have been trying different positions while short range plinking.
    The rifle sure does jump about compared to a PCP.
    If I use it rested (not held) I can't see the pellet strike therefore I'll have no idea of aim points at any sort of distance.
    I really do need to try it first at the range, the bank will make it so much easier to spot where the pellet is landing.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

when you said you shot off your open hand, there is an alternative try shooting off the top of your fist, rest your fist on the table/bench etc and rest the rifle on top , you can use your thumb for lateral support and often a glove is beneficial!
    by doing this you reduce considerably the muzzle flip caused by the rifle bouncing off any solid rest, you must also ensure the butt or bottom of the pistol grip is not in contact with anything!

we have an L shaped shooting bench at our range so that your right elbow is supported too, using this bench and shooting off the top of my fist I can get a sub 30mm five shot group with my HW98 at 102yds , provided that is the wind cooperates!

The fist idea sounds good, I've done similar with the rimmy & PCP's.
    The open palm (hand) was done sitting, just rested it on my open palm to see what would happen, boing.
    Decided to definately take it to my local range.
    In a few minutes I'll be able to see how much the pellet drops just shooting towards the bank backstop & watching the dirt kick up to give me a starter.
    From finding out the aim point first I can get it over the farm & target shoot to see what happens.
    Just hope it doesn't drop below my view at the the bottom of the scope sight picture.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I have more experience with rimfire than airgun but I have a hw100 .22 and find this story of this guy hitting a can freestanding at 100 yards a bit far fetched

not far fetched, have hit pellet tins at 100yds standing with a springer, ok it took a few shots and is totally wind dependant but it's certainly doable!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    I have more experience with rimfire than airgun but I have a hw100 .22 and find this story of this guy hitting a can freestanding at 100 yards a bit far fetched
    My hw100 is fitted with a hawke sidwinder 30 scope with sr12 sight and a buthook and they help quite a lot. My scope is mounted as low as it can be and at x10 mag I still have a good view of anything at 100 yards. If you go to the hawke website and take a look at the sr12 sight you will see the mill dot lines and under that are lines that mark windage. For my setup if you look at where the letter D is marked on the sr12 sight at that level is pretty much where the pellet will drop at 100 yards (scope zeroed at 30 yards). So I have a point of aim right there. If the wind is in my favour with that point of aim I cant see how it differs much from hitting someing at my zero at 30 yards. I just aim up to level with that D and thats it. Ive only been shooting a few months and have gained a lot of practice by hitting this bell we have hainging from at tree at 55 yards free standing. I dont hit it every time but enough to make me feel confident with my hw100.

The other guy at our club mentioned hit 100 yards with his springer a few times in a row freestanding if I remember rightly and thats something I would need a lot of practice to do myself. Its all a matter of the right kit and practice if you think "oh its 100 yard I'll never hit that" then you probably won't.

On the flip side when I have a go at our HFT range im lucky to score more than 20. So I'm no expert at shooting by any means. I do plan to buy a something more suited to HFT for next year so well see how that goes then.

I see your from Guernsey the SDFTC club is between Dorchester and Weymouth so if your ever on the mainland and got the sunday free pop on up.

Invite to SDFTC

Hi Bowie, get on the ferry, I'll pick you up at Weymouth and take you up the club.
    We shoot Sundays so why not make a weekend of it. You are genuinly welcome to join us in order to dispel any doubt.

Red face

My god I used to love my springer after reading this I will dig it back out and have some fun, 26ft hold over

So do I, set out a roses tin last night at 100yds rested on a bag and managed to hit within the size of a saucer
    with all the shots. Standing hitting tins mmmmmmmmm That was with a 10-50 nikko on full mag.

of course 200 yards can be done just take abit of luck to hit the target its just about elevation.

edbear2 Guest
    At Bisley a few weeks back people were hitting a target that size at 60 yards, and a slightly larger one at 73+ yards......with 100 year old rifles and OPEN SIGHTS (standing).

I can hit beer cans 6 out of 10 times at 60 yards standing unsupported with no wind with this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...57615751921626

The only limitation is the lack of scope grooves, the gun is a very consistent (+/- 8fps) in .22, runs at 11.6 energy, and the barrel is probably better quality than a lot of modern guns (grooves cut one at a time, hand polished etc. from the days when things were made properly...they were done on the same principles as the .22 BSA Martini match, and Lee Enfields built in the same plant).

Oh, and It's 101 years old!

(To be fair it is in little used, VGC mechanical condition, many do not survive as well)

ATB, Ed