Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

not far fetched, have hit pellet tins at 100yds standing with a springer, ok it took a few shots and is totally wind dependant but it's certainly doable!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    I have more experience with rimfire than airgun but I have a hw100 .22 and find this story of this guy hitting a can freestanding at 100 yards a bit far fetched
    My hw100 is fitted with a hawke sidwinder 30 scope with sr12 sight and a buthook and they help quite a lot. My scope is mounted as low as it can be and at x10 mag I still have a good view of anything at 100 yards. If you go to the hawke website and take a look at the sr12 sight you will see the mill dot lines and under that are lines that mark windage. For my setup if you look at where the letter D is marked on the sr12 sight at that level is pretty much where the pellet will drop at 100 yards (scope zeroed at 30 yards). So I have a point of aim right there. If the wind is in my favour with that point of aim I cant see how it differs much from hitting someing at my zero at 30 yards. I just aim up to level with that D and thats it. Ive only been shooting a few months and have gained a lot of practice by hitting this bell we have hainging from at tree at 55 yards free standing. I dont hit it every time but enough to make me feel confident with my hw100.

The other guy at our club mentioned hit 100 yards with his springer a few times in a row freestanding if I remember rightly and thats something I would need a lot of practice to do myself. Its all a matter of the right kit and practice if you think "oh its 100 yard I'll never hit that" then you probably won't.

On the flip side when I have a go at our HFT range im lucky to score more than 20. So I'm no expert at shooting by any means. I do plan to buy a something more suited to HFT for next year so well see how that goes then.

I see your from Guernsey the SDFTC club is between Dorchester and Weymouth so if your ever on the mainland and got the sunday free pop on up.

Invite to SDFTC

Hi Bowie, get on the ferry, I'll pick you up at Weymouth and take you up the club.
    We shoot Sundays so why not make a weekend of it. You are genuinly welcome to join us in order to dispel any doubt.

Id never shoot again if I had to use a springer.

Yes been looking around online and loads of people seem to be doing it, sorry if I came across a bit rude. If I'm heading to the mainland I usually go Southampton way as I just moved from that area to here. If I get a chance I'll sail over to Weymouth my new venture is going to keep me very busy so might not be for while yet. All the best with your shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Yes been looking around online and loads of people seem to be doing it, sorry if I came across a bit rude. If I'm heading to the mainland I usually go Southampton way as I just moved from that area to here. If I get a chance I'll sail over to Weymouth my new venture is going to keep me very busy so might not be for while yet. All the best with your shooting.
    No worries, if you get across this way give us a shout, your welcome to come and shoot with us for a day.

Wind is supposed to be 33mph this weekend. I don't think any club records are going to be set

My guess is that hitting a can at 200yds with a springer will be like throwing a pebble in the ocean and expecting to hit a fish on the head, its do able but how much time have you got?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Venturi View Post
    My guess is that hitting a can at 200yds with a springer will be like throwing a pebble in the ocean and expecting to hit a fish on the head, its do able but how much time have you got?!?
    Your right Venturi, if you can't do it with any consistency then it's not shooting "it's luck".

How much time and how many pellets . Wind this last week or two is not helping. I'm struggling at anything past 120yds and that's off the bench. Think I've reached my limit for now .

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    not far fetched, have hit pellet tins at 100yds standing with a springer, ok it took a few shots and is totally wind dependant but it's certainly doable!
    Hears a video to back your claim, shooting balloons with a springer at 100yds

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/air-arms...ir-rifle.shtml

Yanks Aaaaarghhhhhh

Just watched the video Barry, cheers for the link.

I'm not doubting the guys ability to shoot and it was entertaining, but how typical of the yanks.

Stand in field, tie balloons at head height between two trees and fire blindly into woods!!!!!!!!!!!. No wonder they have so many shooting accidents.
    DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

They don't mention pellet weight, but from the muzzle velocities quoted on the site (.177 930ft/sec and .22 755ft/sec) that looks well into FAC territory to me.

Good to see the Yanks are loving and buying our air rifles.

Took the HW80 down the range this morning, just because it would be easier to test the water so to speak.
    Shooting into a bank at 115yds I could see the pellet strikes, It's only got a 30/30 ret scope on at the moment & verry hard to estimate where to aim.
    Currently set up at 20yds for garden plinking.
    Just got to swop the scope now & go for it.
    Useing RWS SuperDomes, simply because they were "there"
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

me and my lad have just got back from a couple of hours down the field,after a bit of shooting targets i produced a 1 litre waterbase automotive refinish tinter can (empty) and using the range finder set it out to 100 yards ,now the conditions were great virtually no wind and warm,after a few shots i managed to hit it ,i needed no windage allowance but used the area between 90 and 100 yards on the scope (hawke air max sr6 3-12x44) .177 97k with a v-mach kit fitted 4.52 aa fields) once got the aim point sorted it became very easy to hit this can and the smaller kit-e-kat tins i normally use,my lad was hitting the can although not regularly with his 99s,i was surprised that the cans were holed comprehensively at the range, we did this prone on a bag to give a very stable position and steady aim,
    we put the cans out to 130 yards according the range finder and this is the maximum distance my scope will go out to on the aim points ,once again after some sighters we were able to get some hits on the cans,we stacked them up to make a bigger target,
    finally we went to 200 yards, this required massive holdover,we are lucky the fields have been ploughed in strips were the turf has been harvested so we can see the strikes and eventually got the strikes to land fairly close to the cans most times but didn,t hit the cans(as far as we can tell !)then we got a bored so we are going to try the 200 yard thing another time with the hw100 and maybe use a massive piece of paper behind the cans to work out the holdover, let you know how we go with it,
    hw100t/mtc viper 4-16x50,,hw100k/nv scope,,hw97k/3-12x44sr6,,hw99s all .177
    hw99s,,bsa supersport,,relum tornado lg15,,all .22
    webley alecto,,hw45,,milbro cougar all .177

Quote Originally Posted by ianwoolford@msn View Post
    , let you know how we go with it,
    gets sort of addictive doesn't it
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

yes your right we enjoyed doing it and are already talking about when we go again,
    hw100t/mtc viper 4-16x50,,hw100k/nv scope,,hw97k/3-12x44sr6,,hw99s all .177
    hw99s,,bsa supersport,,relum tornado lg15,,all .22
    webley alecto,,hw45,,milbro cougar all .177

Red face

My god I used to love my springer after reading this I will dig it back out and have some fun, 26ft hold over