Thread: Inside the Feinwerkbau Model 65

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Inside the Feinwerkbau Model 65

Hi,

I've started my little Feinwerkbau Model 65 project.

This pistol has seen better days, but that was the whole point of buying it.

I have a one already that looks like it has never been taken apart. It shoots so well that I am not about to tinker with it.

But this one looks like it has been run over by a tractor. (Well not that bad but it needed help.)

I have taken a lot of photos during the dismantling process, which you can find in my link below.

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/v...0Strip%20Down/

I hope to describe the process in a bit more detail as I get time.

But for now I hope the photos help anyone who NEEDS to take their Model 65 apart to change the seals or piston buffer.

Please don't take this as an excuse to dismantle a perfectly working gun. As I have already made a tiny mistake on re-assembly and it needs to be stripped again.

Thanks

Mark

My little mistake was on the re-assembly of the rear slide bearing.

Here http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/v..._0887Large.jpg

It has 4 shim washers and on re-assembly I could not fit the fourth one in behind the 'E' clip on the very end to the rod. I think I may need to turn the other 'E' clip around 180 degrees to give the correct clearance.

The result of this error is that the pistol does not fully lock when the slide is moved forwards after shooting. That tiny shim makes all the difference!

The engineering in these really is amazing.

Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Cones; 15-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.

An interesting post, Mark, thanks. That looks like quite an early one - maybe late '60s/early '70s?

Keep us informed as to how you get on!

Matt

I don't think you have taken enough photos Mark, can we have a few more please

Nice album, very useful if you have to strip one down, there's enough detail in the pics to sort out where the bit you have left over comes from.
    Everyone has a bit left over when they strip a gun.
    Don't they?.
    Surely it can't just be me, can it?
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Hi,

Yes I did get a bit carried away with the photos.

I did not want to miss anything.

A quick update from tonight.

I put the pistol back together last night and took it to the club tonight to see how well it would shoot.

The bad news is that the front sight is canted over slightly and along with the repaired rear sight it needed the full adjustment one way to bring it on aim.

The good news it that it shoots just as well as my other 65 does. This means it is definitely worth spending some time any money on.

The front sight removal could be difficult though, as it has been clobbered with a hammer and is well and truly stuck. I may try warming it with some hot water or air gun and see it I can twist it off the barrel.

I should be able to get a new rear sight unit. Just depends on how much it will be.

I will write out a stripping guide when I get the chance.

Thanks

Mark

I thought the foresight was gummed up by the rather copious paint job.

The other thing that doesn't help is the notch on the rearsight plate being cut offset!

Had I kept it I was thinking along the lines of getting someone like UKNeil to make an adaptor that fitted in place of the rearsight to take a small red dot sight and shroud the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    I thought the foresight was gummed up by the rather copious paint job.

The other thing that doesn't help is the notch on the rearsight plate being cut offset!

Had I kept it I was thinking along the lines of getting someone like UKNeil to make an adaptor that fitted in place of the rearsight to take a small red dot sight and shroud the barrel.
    Morning.

Yes, the paint was gumming it all up a bit. But after the Nitromors then the hammer marks became a bit more obvious.

I've been soaking it in a penetrating oil and will try warming it up before I try again.

It does look like at some point in its life it had the barrel weight fitted to it. There is a circular mark on the top slide where the barrel inserts.

I did consider a red dot as well, the rear spring mounting hole looks like a good point to fix a bracket to. It could be made a snug fit on the side walls.

If I can get the front sight off, I was thinking some carbon tube might finish off the barrel.

I have now fixed the recoil slide problem, The 'E' clip was turned round and when installing the end shim and other 'E' clip I pushed the locking bar down a little to push against the pin a bit more and this made it easier to fit the parts.
    It now locks up perfectly each time.

Thanks

Mark