Thread: Pellets what to use

Pellets what to use

I recently took up air weapon bench rest shooting, I purchased an Air Arms S410 Classic.
    The problem I've had is finding a consistent pellet, The Weblet Mosquito works well in my 410 but I'm finding an unacceptable amount of malformed pellets in every tin (which were purchased as undamaged).

I have been told that the JSB Exact are in actual fact top grade Mosquitos can anyone tell me if this is true and where is the best supplier of the JSBs.

Regards John

Thumbs up

Hi i have a S410 and afalcon fn19 and they both like AA FIELDS & RWS SUPERDOMES looking at them there dosent seem to be hardly any diferance exsept for the price. JON.

JSB manufacture alot of pellets for the trade. Known clones from JSB are AA field,Daystate, RWS Superfield to name a few (there are others)

You need to find the pellet and head size that suits your barrel - that is the trick. Clean the barrel between each pellet batch and then fire say 50 or so thru it befroe testing.

Is your bench rest indoors or out, as some of the match quality flat heads will be excellent indoors (H&N Match Finale, RWS R10 Match for example).

Fianlly, I do suggest you weigh and size each pellet, as small variations will not help in your discipline

HTH

Phil
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

Quote Originally Posted by bassman62 View Post
    I recently took up air weapon bench rest shooting, I purchased an Air Arms S410 Classic.
    The problem I've had is finding a consistent pellet, The Weblet Mosquito works well in my 410 but I'm finding an unacceptable amount of malformed pellets in every tin (which were purchased as undamaged).

I have been told that the JSB Exact are in actual fact top grade Mosquitos can anyone tell me if this is true and where is the best supplier of the JSBs.

Regards John
    Hi John

First thing to do is not to use a magazine. I am not sure if you can shoot the AA410 using a single shot tray but magazines are best avoided as you can not see the pellet being fed centrally into the bore, and even the slightest bruise on the pellet head due to poor feed will result in 9's or worse

JSB Exact are not the same pellets as Mozzies. JSB Exact are the same spec as Daystate and very similar to AA Field. Weight is about 8.4 grains. Mozzies are about half a grain lighter and JSB manufactured 'Falcon' pellets are lighter still at 7.3 grains

The 8.4 grain Daystate/AA/JSB pellets invariably come out on top.

Intershoot (in N.I) stock many different batches of JSB Exact at £8/tin posted
    I have had many tins from them and all were perfectly packaged with no damage. You can choose the batch you want from the drop down menu
    Die/batch 7000010 is a particularly good batch in a number of AA 400's at our club

Flat headed wadcutter match pellets are OK up to about 15 yards but can not match quality round nosed pellets at ranges of 20 yards and above. You will not shoot consistent high scores with wadcutters, they just don't work.

I have written a couple of articles on air rifle bench rest shooting that were published in Airgun Sport (April and July I think). There are probably 1 or 2 tips that may help you

Basically, when you have removed some of the problems due to; poor bedding of action, scope PX problems, non central probes, unwanted silencers on muzzle, etc and you have established the best pellet head size for your barrel, you then have to put your hand deaply into your pocket and try as many different die/batch combinations of your favorite pellet to find the ones that best suit your barrel
    Don't forget that barrel cleaning is very important and condition the barrel to each pellet type that you test
    Good luck
    John
    hold me back !!

samples

you can get some pellet samples from www.pellpax.com at least you can narrow your preffered pellet choice down to a few brands.

Webley Mosquitos work very well in my AA S410 Classic .177
    I was more concerned about the amount of duff Mosquito pellets that I found, to be quite honest they were more like sweepings up, I'm not exagerating about the percentage of mis-shapen pellets.
    I countered how many pellets were needed to fill a 10 shot magazine with decent pellets it took 15, I consider 33.3% faulty very poor.
    The shop did give me a tin of pellets which we checked for quality and they performed perfectly well.