Thread: MTC Viper Connect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by peakecentral View Post
    Zooming right out to the 3X setting gave usable performance right up to the last light, and already I was dreaming of a rabbitting trip. Common sense prevailed, however, as I really did have to return the scope without scratching it. So, were there any niggles with the scope? For me, the flip-open lens cover was hinged on the wrong side
    Nice review chap.

I have been living with the larger of the prototypes for some months now and it is well and truly welded onto my BTAS100.

It threw one of the FT guys when I just nailed the target he was convinced I would not see with such a small scope...Lady luck eh?

The comment about winding it out to 3x in low light is interesting. The original was fixed 10x and still worked amazingly in low light, and this one is, in my opinion, better.

It worked very well at 10x, the moon was out and I was counting daisies at 40yds. try it. I reckon with a small LED torch this will be a hell of a lamping/ratting scope.

I agree with the comment about the cap, but for a different reason.

I found initially that I was reaching forward and trying to adjust parallax with the cap, or rattling it, but this is a minor item and oddly I have taken to reaching over with my right hand to adjust it now so it makes no difference.

I have a production unit on order, so I will be interested to see how it evolved.

Either way, get one, you will love it.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Through-scope photos added

Thanks for the comments, one and all.

I'd omitted the through-scope photos, which are now online. These are undoctored, and show the wide FOV on the Connect compared with the Viper 10x42 my son uses for HFT.

Martin

Depth of view

FOV looks nice, great for finding targets
    how is the DOV at 10x compared to a 10x Viper ?

Peter

Exclamation Re The bellows eye piece versus plain eye piece

Hi Folks,

Took the connect out this morning after not shooting anything for a week...oh the pain

Anyway, firstly I was still stunned and amazed when I picked it up and looked through at the target, they just do that to you

But, I could not get a decent group.

The rubber eye bellows were trying to beat my head into a position it seemed not to want to adopt, so I pulled it off and went to the plain eye piece.

Back to ragged hole at 25 and similar at 35...the bellows are sacked for the moment.

I reckon this scope may well cope with small ammounts of recoil and still function happily...with care

I saw one of the original Russian Connects a while back, and was amazed by the wide FOV. The one thing that made me wonder was that close targets seemed further away.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

i would agree with the comment targets seem further away,,this seems backed up with the through scope pics,,the target looks much smaller in comparison,,were both scopes really set at 10 mag as in the description?.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    I saw one of the original Russian Connects a while back, and was amazed by the wide FOV. The one thing that made me wonder was that close targets seemed further away.

Gus
    Absoloutely, and this is when you realise how much you mentally rangefind (and my rangefinding is truly mental Gus...trust me)

I had the old HTH unit and I really wish I had kept it, it was almost iconic and as I now have one of the Viper connect prototypes, and a prod version on order, it would have been nice to have the evolution on hand.

I dont think the two use the same technology though, I thought the 01 used a roof prism

The first wabbit I shot at with the 01 I missed as I assumed it was further away than I thought, so the "Deadly lead payload...snigger" went whistling over buggs's nut

Luckily bugs gave me time to reload and work out what the hell went wrong..heh heh

Whatever you thought about the 01 though, apart from the FOV, they are poles apart.

The Viper is all the good bits of the 01, and none of the bad. head position is more or less conventional, there is some eye relief to speak of, and it does not weigh 3 ton

The distance thing is even more marked with the fine AMD ret, but precise as hell, nice

The old one was a cracking tree rat scope, but due to the height above the bore it came a bit unstuck at close ranges (the holdover could be almost off the clock).

The Viper not only allows you to change the mag (the 01 was fixed x10) but also focuses down to less than 6 yds (I had focus left to play with on a 6 yard garage range)...cracking rat scope too I guess.

If you are happy with the minimal eye relief (and it is much more tolerant and conventional than the 01) it may well be the only scope you need buy...which is nice if the bring out a tailored NV add on

is their a mount thats been released specifically for this scope yet or is everyone just using two singles up front?
    BSA R10 J.B tuned .22
    AirArms TX200 MK3 .177 - SOLD