Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
I saw one of the original Russian Connects a while back, and was amazed by the wide FOV. The one thing that made me wonder was that close targets seemed further away.

Gus
Absoloutely, and this is when you realise how much you mentally rangefind (and my rangefinding is truly mental Gus...trust me)

I had the old HTH unit and I really wish I had kept it, it was almost iconic and as I now have one of the Viper connect prototypes, and a prod version on order, it would have been nice to have the evolution on hand.

I dont think the two use the same technology though, I thought the 01 used a roof prism

The first wabbit I shot at with the 01 I missed as I assumed it was further away than I thought, so the "Deadly lead payload...snigger" went whistling over buggs's nut

Luckily bugs gave me time to reload and work out what the hell went wrong..heh heh

Whatever you thought about the 01 though, apart from the FOV, they are poles apart.

The Viper is all the good bits of the 01, and none of the bad. head position is more or less conventional, there is some eye relief to speak of, and it does not weigh 3 ton

The distance thing is even more marked with the fine AMD ret, but precise as hell, nice

The old one was a cracking tree rat scope, but due to the height above the bore it came a bit unstuck at close ranges (the holdover could be almost off the clock).

The Viper not only allows you to change the mag (the 01 was fixed x10) but also focuses down to less than 6 yds (I had focus left to play with on a 6 yard garage range)...cracking rat scope too I guess.

If you are happy with the minimal eye relief (and it is much more tolerant and conventional than the 01) it may well be the only scope you need buy...which is nice if the bring out a tailored NV add on