Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: MTC Viper Connect

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    When I first looked throu the scope I thought the reticle might be hard to see in poor light, I don't normaly use the illumination on reticles so was pleased to see the one on this scope was just centre and not overpowering so might be usable for me. On it's first outing 'in anger' I targeted a bunny in very poor light with no need of illumunation, which suprised me somewhat.

MTC Viper Connect

Have been following comments concerning the new Connect. I have 4 questions
    -is the AMD reticle better, easier to use than the SCB?
    -how much larger is the FOV than in my two 3-12 Vipers?
    -does it come with a mount for an Air Wolf?
    -can I order one even though I live in the US?
    Thanks!
    Jim

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
    Thanks!
    Jim
    #1. Personal preference.
    #3. No mounts supplied, but most 2piece 30mm mounts should do the job.

For the rest, ask here
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
    Thanks!
    Jim
    Not much to choose between the reticles, personal choise is all.
    At 10x the FOV is approx 50% bigger.
    No mount supplied, on my AirWolf the ob. bell sits right over mag so you need high mount.
    Ask garry about ordering.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    When I first looked throu the scope I thought the reticle might be hard to see in poor light, I don't normaly use the illumination on reticles so was pleased to see the one on this scope was just centre and not overpowering so might be usable for me. On it's first outing 'in anger' I targeted a bunny in very poor light with no need of illumunation, which suprised me somewhat.
    That's the thing.

They are stunning in low light.

I used to use the old connect round a country house and the lighting was enough to pick young rabbits off the lawns....little sods

The prototype Viper connect I had fitted left me counting daisies at 40yards as the moon came up.....now with a dim light.

I think that when more folk realise just what a quality scope it is, and how flexible it is, they will fly out of Sammies Garden shed

It kind of annoys me that my first review was so long and pictureless, as this scope really is going to have it's followers, and I reckon it will cover so many wickets it is a scope for just about anything, but there really was so much to say, and I thought the improvements over the HTH Connect1 mentioning as that scope did have some limitations that have long since gone with the Viper connect.

Lamping, ratting, long range bipod (the AMD is so fine it does not obscure mutch at 50yds+) Squirrelling, stalking, etc etc.

Someone commented that it may as well not be there when I let them heft my BTAS100 with the slightly larger prototype on this morning, the balance is just cracking.

And they were raving about the AMD. Quite right too.

And, discrete or not, the illuminated portion is so fine it is ideal for just about any situation.

That said, I was shooting against black targets with yellow disks today in a very dingy wood and I did not need the IR. The only situation where you may loose it a bit may be where there is a lot of vertical confusion, reeds, hazel stands, deep grass etc....but I have not found this a biggie as yet.

Another spin off is that the contact with the eye piece definately helps stability, particularly when kneeling or standing.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

A chap was shooting HFT at Purley Chase today using a Connect atop his Hammerli Ar20 Ft. He was absolutely delighted with it, and was hitting more than I was with my 10x42. On the other hand, I was pretty pants for the first third of the round...

ar20 + Connect

I am even more delighted with it now i have used it in anger so to speak. I only lost the ret once and that was in a black 40mm kill zone. If i had thought to turn the illum on before we started I wouldn't have had the problem
    I had no problems at all on targets in the darker areas. I am going to use this combo in the HFT extreme series

Quote Originally Posted by poison dwarf View Post
    I am even more delighted with it now i have used it in anger so to speak. I only lost the ret once and that was in a black 40mm kill zone. If i had thought to turn the illum on before we started I wouldn't have had the problem
    I had no problems at all on targets in the darker areas. I am going to use this combo in the HFT extreme series
    Great, I was wondering how you guys would get on. One of the guys yesterday was saying what a great little unit it is.

It is surprising how well it snaps in and out of focus as it goes, hmmmm....I wonder

I have been giving this scope a real workout of late and i am still impressed. For me it still seems to be a very near perfect HFT scope without the hefty price tag of a leup etc. Just a couple of niggles though. On mine the mildots aren't quite true on 10 mag but i have adjusted mag to make them true so i can live with it And the reticle goes up and down when you turn parallax wheel, so I cant use it for HFT extreme. As you don't move parallax for HFT it wont be a problem Really getting to like the reticle the more i use it especially on top of my .22 steyr.

Quote Originally Posted by poison dwarf View Post
    I have been giving this scope a real workout of late and i am still impressed. For me it still seems to be a very near perfect HFT scope without the hefty price tag of a leup etc. Just a couple of niggles though. On mine the mildots aren't quite true on 10 mag but i have adjusted mag to make them true so i can live with it And the reticle goes up and down when you turn parallax wheel, so I cant use it for HFT extreme. As you don't move parallax for HFT it wont be a problem Really getting to like the reticle the more i use it especially on top of my .22 steyr.
    Yes, I love the ret too. It works beautifully for the longer ranges off a pod, just a bit strange seeing the near ground and far ground more out of focus than usual.

That is a spin off of being wider than normal angle I guess, you notice it more, as there is more to notice. Fine when you know why though eh?

I have not noticed any movements of the ret and am not overly worried about it being true or otherwise.

I am not that mathematical a shooter TBH

What's HFT Extreme...HFT in a suit or armour, or hanging from a rope over a bath of shark infested custard?

gave my connect a good try sunday and today very happy with it going to use it for hft which i think it will be perfect for
    wayne
    Last edited by Airwolf 1968; 23-11-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    HFT 500.177 HAWKE VANTAGE HW97 .177 HAWKE AIRMAX
    http://colnevalleyagc.wix.com/colnevalleyagc and http://www.cambridgehft.co.uk/

Nickpan is offline I love a lot of slippery, soapy men's bums!
    I've sold 2 this week, the first one sold so quick I didn't get a chance to squint through it! Second one cam in a couple of days later, and I've spent the morning comparing it to a Hawke Sidewinder.
    Connect wins on every level, and now I find all other scopes ludicrously oversized!
    no such words as alot or ect, and do you really want to add a second 'o' in 'lose', unless you're talking about something that isn't very tight?

i only noticed the ret moving when we had the steyr in a vice doing grouping tests (mossy v falcons) did grouping at 30 then 55 and noticed it when re parallaxing for the 55 target.
    HFT extreme is targets out to 55 yards. Down to 8mm reducers and other reducers further away than the 35 yards as per normal HFT. A Tad more difficult than normal HFT and a good leveller as you can re parallax your scope before looking through it at the target. So all the guys with the really expensive leups have no advantage at the very short stuff anymore
    If you fancy a go come to Wendovers 200 acre wood this Sunday. Going to be fun

Quote Originally Posted by Nickpan View Post
    I've sold 2 this week, the first one sold so quick I didn't get a chance to squint through it! Second one cam in a couple of days later, and I've spent the morning comparing it to a Hawke Sidewinder.
    Connect wins on every level, and now I find all other scopes ludicrously oversized!
    Yea, I have 2.

I was sold one of the prototypes (it has a 40mm objective but is otherwise the same) that lives on my BTAS100, and a production unit that is just being shown to folk at the moment as I have NV on its propper home.

I think Gary likens a normal scope as looking through a bog roll after one of these (If you did'nt Gary I apologise) but it is a bit restrictive.

My shooting is very quiet at the moment as I just tick over with the occasional foray with the NV and the odd tree rat bashing session as I am mostly beating and hawking, but when I do get out....

I think the AMD ret is a real step forward. I like the SCB (I should do, I have 5 scopes with it) but the AMD is better still. I dont mind clutter, but I like fine, and the AMD is fine.

Can you use a NV add on with one of these scopes?