Thread: Lsr

Lsr

I've been trying LSR down my local club for a couple of months now using a variety of .22 Rimfires, Marlin, Ruger etc.

Last Friday I tried my HW35K fitted with a diopter rearsight and shot better than with the rimfires.

Does anyone on here use an airrifle for LSR's and would there be any drawbacks about using one instead of a rimfire?

Some of the postal comps have classes for .22 carbine (rimfire) and others for standing air rifle. I'm aware that some people use an air rifle to practice for LSR, so I had assumed that LSR was rimfire only? Presumably it depends upon the competition rules!

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    I've been trying LSR down my local club for a couple of months now using a variety of .22 Rimfires, Marlin, Ruger etc.

Last Friday I tried my HW35K fitted with a diopter rearsight and shot better than with the rimfires.

Does anyone on here use an airrifle for LSR's and would there be any drawbacks about using one instead of a rimfire?
    No drawbacks. Most of the leagues. Such as the Hendon LSR League, Kent League etc can be shot with an air rifle or rimfire. The scoring is all gauged with a .22 rimfire gauge unless its an air rifle specific event (such as Bench Rest - air rifle only). This is done to encourage shooters that might either prefer air rifles or dont own a suitable firearm.

The only disadvantage is physical. If you have to cock the thing every shot, your body and head position will need tuning back in for each shot.

The only thing that you are really going to fall short on is if you want to enter a rapid fire comp!! No way you'll get 5 shots in 10 seconds out of a HW35!!

Have you considered using a diopter style sights on a Ruger 10/22? many of our club members do this as a happy medium.

You are more than welcome to come and visit us to see what kit other clubs use. We are in Surbiton. You arent far away.

Contrary to what a lot of people might say, there arent many Countys or Comps that ban the use of air rifles for LSR. Even Surrey came round eventually!! We had a bloke at the Surrey open two years ago shooting a HW100 in .22 against the Ruger boys. The bloke with the HW100 acutally did really well!!

One thing to bear in mind though, if shooting an LSR event governed by the NSRA, the NSRA rules say that the gun, its sights and any glove being used cannot exceed 4.5 kilograms. With a minimum half kilo trigger pull So be mindful of that.

Good luck

Adam

Allmost all of the LSR postal Leagues are run to NSRA rules which allow the use of an Air Rifle. Any league run by an affiliated NSRA County Association really ought to be using the NSRA rules anyway, although some folk will always want to be different.

Alan
    "If you have a rifle, and you line up back-sight, fore-sight and Frenchman, pull the trigger, the world is suddenly a better place." Bernard Cornwell, in conversation with Mark Urban.

At our club - Shebbear Shooters - we take part in the NSRA LSR league, and some of us also enter for the individual league. If the club is NSRA affiliated then you can enter a team for about £20, and as many teams as you like at £20 a time. To take part in the individual comps you have to be a NSRA member in your own right which is £70 a year or thereabouts but there is a discount for your first year.

All of our shooting is done with sub 12 fpe air rifles, a variety of AA S410s, BSA Ultras, Daystate X2, and I've just picked up an Air Wolf which I intend to try.

If there is a drawback to using air against rimfire, all I've found is a bit of envy from some 22LR shooters that boys with pop guns can do this well against men with real bang sticks.

Shebbear is currently top of division 3 and that's in our first year. My personal average with the S410 is 93.2.

Air makes it possible for us to take part. We don't have an indoor range of our own. We use the local village hall. It took a while to agree all the safety issues etc and create the backdrops and pellet catchers, but for £16 for an evening we can shoot in the warm and dry, with no capital investment in buildings etc. Of course we can only shoot sub 12 fpe air as that doesn't need HO approval. NSRA affiliation covers us as well.

I meant to add, getting the trigger pull weight up to 500 grams took a change of spring in the S410 and in one of the Ultras. The other Ultra managed to wind up to 500 on the original spring.

the MPR biathlon looks like a nice toy for the job

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    At our club - Shebbear Shooters - we take part in the NSRA LSR league, and some of us also enter for the individual league. If the club is NSRA affiliated then you can enter a team for about £20, and as many teams as you like at £20 a time. To take part in the individual comps you have to be a NSRA member in your own right which is £70 a year or thereabouts but there is a discount for your first year.
    You could try looking at the county level comps as they will probably be cheaper. Surrey charge £4 per person for the season (10 rounds) and you don't have to be a member of the NSRA as long as your club is affiliated. Team entry is free.

Good point about the trigger, thats the only problem I've seen with air rifles in LSR.

Lsr

Good advice from you all. I noticed one of the club Ruger 10/22's had open sights so I may give that a go.

Being a novice I found it easier to hold a steady sight picture with the open sights rather than a scope. I used the ring foresight element but found the std HW one is too small, I may have to open it up slightly with a drill bit! Unless anybody knows which other manufacturers will fit.

I hope to get signed off on the .22 soon so I can try the .38's which are all open sighted.

Errr...

Practice card with the S410 and a Simmons Whitetail Classic set to 10x mag on top. Pellets are RWS Hobby, cheap as chips and make nice round holes.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...card130810.jpg

Why I can't replicate this in comps I am trying to understand.....

Re: county comps, yes we are looking at affiliating to the Devon County SBRA especially as the number of our members that wants to take part increases. They won't all want to fork out for the national scene. I think Devon's affiliation fee is £40 from memory. However there appears to be sub groups within Devon (being a big county) with the Plymouth area clubs doing their own thing and the Exeter area clubs doing theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Why I can't replicate this in comps I am trying to understand.....
    Its called the curse of the sticker. I think it puts up some sort of deflective shield pushing the bullets/pellets away from the bull

Nice shooting by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    If you prefer something light and manoeuvrable; a rimfire would have the edge as opposed to a good PCP or springer (generally). Depending on what type of PCP used, it could easily beat the average 10/22, and a springer might, if you shoot one very well.

Really there is no better or worse, and if there was, it would have so many factors like sights, trigger, weight, that it would be very confusing. A high quality target air rifle would probably have an edge due to lack of movement on firing.

I shot airguns a lot, and gave up in favour of centerfire rifles and smallbore; very little between them in accuracy out to 50m. Buy what suits; rimfires are more convenient than PCPs, apart from cleaning required.