Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 0.8 inch group at 134 yards!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonezy25 View Post
    Try halfing that drop, or even less! If you read it properly it's a 15.9 grain jsb exact travelling at 950 fps.

My version of Chairgun says the drop from horizontal (JSB Exact/.22/16gn/950fps) at 134 yards is 53".

Maybe its wrong? I've always found it to give accurate predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    My version of Chairgun says the drop from horizontal (JSB Exact/.22/16gn/950fps) at 134 yards is 53".

Maybe its wrong? I've always found it to give accurate predictions.
    for my setup its 35 inch approx.
    134 yards 953fps
    zeroed at 30 yards
    0.032 bc for that range

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker000 View Post
    for my setup its 35 inch approx.
    134 yards 953fps
    zeroed at 30 yards
    0.032 bc for that range

That would be the drop below your zero (of 30 yards), or the amount of holdover required, same thing.

The pellet drop would be 53"'.

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    That would be the drop below your zero (of 30 yards), or the amount of holdover required, same thing.

The pellet drop would be 53"'.
    ahh yes i see now you said from the muzzle, normally you would state the hold over from your zero though, instead of from the muzzle.

ahh yes i see now you said from the muzzle, normally you would state the hold over from your zero though, instead of from the muzzle.

Except that nowhere does the OP state his zero range and the question was how much would the pellet drop? .

30 yards is a close zero to be using with a 32fpe gun, each to their own, but it would reduce the amount of holdover required by using a more distant zero. Ideally use a zero for the range being shot over.

30 zero point is very useful.

Except that nowhere does the OP state his zero range and the question was how much would the pellet drop? .

30 yards is a close zero to be using with a 32fpe gun, each to their own, but it would reduce the amount of holdover required by using a more distant zero. Ideally use a zero for the range being shot over.

alot of people say that but it does not mean they are right.

32ft/lb is excellent shooting at 30 yards.
    30 yards zero means you can also benefit from shooting as if your rifle is 12ft/ib. my setup allows me to back my scope mag back to say 4 6 times mag at close range. sometimes the rabbits are only 30 yards away if your not zeroed at close range you have to start calculation for hold over. 32ft/lb is not that much power when compared to rimmy or hmr. also allows for very clean kills at 30 yards with rabbits and magpie. if you shot is just off kill zone it usually comes out with a clean kill much better to have a clean kill.

in addition there is a sweet trajectory curve between 20 yards and 40 yards with my zero and the pellet does not rise above zero on its flight. 20-40y i just aim strait at the target pellet on pellet.

my set up is much easier to use and more effective.

also my mill dots extend to 9.5 mill and this is just where the pellet looses all power for a kill so no need to go past 9.5 mills down.

simple 30 yards zero, 9.5 mills 160yards.

you will find it much easier to use this way and make you setup more versitile.

no rezeroing for close range stuff.

also the art of shooting airgun at 12ft/lb is to develope stalking and camo skills. I can shoot close or long and increase my close clean kills at 30 yards with the extra power. but still practice shooting close up as with 12ft/lb style of shooting but if i need the extra range say 6070 yard shots, then all i do is look a few mills down.

obviously a fac airgun cannot do what a rimmy or hmr or shotgun can do and each type of gun has its own use and place. but my set up ticks alot of boxes. close range air gun and long range airgun. i have the longer range that lower power air guns do not. yet also longer range than a shotgun. also able to shoot into trees if its safe behind unlike rimmy or hmr. with zero at 30 yards, its simple, increases close range clean kills and also allows easy target
    acquisition fo longer range shots without needing to re zero. at all ranges the poi is bellow the cross hair so its simpiler than taking into account above and bellow corss hair.

ALSO THE SHOTS ARE VERY CHEAP. 2p per pellet, and half a pence for air. shotgun and rimmy is expensive after you have shot a few thousand rounds. i must have shot over 5000 in my airwolf and i have not gone bankrupt yet.

i just take 2 inches

for the benefit of 3 wheeler (its easy if you want from barrell just subtract 2 inches from what i stated before).

its 2 inches from my scope to my barrel so take 2 inches off the total drop if you want inches drop from muzzel to down range point of impact. Note 3 wheeler that this is my setup and others might be different from different barrels.

^^. I was refering to target shooting for grouping purposes. There is plenty of scope adjustment available to allow an exact zero at these ranges for target shooting so it seems sensible to use it for ultimate accuracy.

As I said, each to their own. I agree with your thinking for hunting, but that's for a different forum.

ATB

18W

what the name and spec of your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I can shoot half inch groups at 200 yards with my Rellum day in day out AND it's a .22

AND it shoots pellets through 5 dustbin lids at 300 yards
    whats the full name and spec of your gun?

yea wind is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    WOW....that must have been one very still day !!! Incredible.
    yea when the wind is over say about 2-3 miles an hour you may as well be thrwoing the pellets over the field.

for the benefit of 3 wheeler (its easy if you want from barrell just subtract 2 inches from what i stated before).

its 2 inches from my scope to my barrel so take 2 inches off the total drop if you want inches drop from muzzel to down range point of impact. Note 3 wheeler that this is my setup and others might be different from different barrels.

Total drop has nothing to do with scope position. It is purely a function of ballistics.

Holdover does. It is a function of ballistics and scope height and zero range.

ATB

18W

hi verminator how are you

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator 66 View Post
    yes well

plus how many shots in a group did you do

you said in this bit
    shoot just a bit better than the tin of 5.51 jsb and aa fields i brought last week.
    1.2 inch group with the aa fields

when you say shot a bit better
    if its nearly 3x as far then it could open the group up to 3.6" if not more
    every time I have used JSB or AA at that sort of speed I have found that the skirts just can't take the power
    even tried them with a 24" parogon barrel witch Daystate put on my FAc ranger and the only pellets that hold there shape is Bis mags

will add been trying to get hold of some 18g AA but no joy yet
    i tried the 18grain jsb the other day got them from intershoot and they are quite good but not as good as the 15.9 jsb for my shooting and my setup.

i find both types are ok and the skirts are ok even at a few more ft/lbs. maybe its just my barrell or the way the airwolf works. i went to the factory a couple of months ago becuase i have been having a bad crossover problem and the engineer admitted that i had a very good barrel and barrel quality can be different from barrel to barrel. I suppose its liek pellets really.

i find it hard to decided on the 18 grain or the 16 grain jsbs. both shoot well but my feeling is that the 16 grain ones shoot more accuratly at all ranges and retain about 9 ft/lb out to 160 yards. the 18 grains 1 or 2 ft/lb more at long range. but i like the idea that the 16 grains loose power fast after 130 150 yards. both seem to be effceted by the wind and the 18 grain only a little better. b magnums are rubbish compaired with both the jsb with my setup.

i'm going to stick with the 16 grain becuase i would rather have accurracy over anything else. if it gets windys i think i wil just shoot out to 50 yards max.

happy shooting verminator

what ever you say lad.;)

Total drop has nothing to do with scope position. It is purely a function of ballistics.

Holdover does. It is a function of ballistics and scope height and zero range.

ATB

18W

what ever you say lad.

what ever you say lad.
    Glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by nightvision View Post
    do you not mean 134 feet mate, that would make it about 45 yards.....
    mmm