Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 0.8 inch group at 134 yards!!

He does not state, if it was freehand or benchrested?

thanks for the encouragement dvs1

thanks for the encouragement dvs1 and your confidence in my shooting.

i did not realise that so many people would not be confident in my shooting and are so sceptical about accuracy at this range with an fac airwolf mvt.

I would be happy to show non believers of the guns accuracy on a calm day at 130 yards.

if i did not manage tight groups i would pay for peoples petrol for getting to my place.

i am being totally honest from what i am finding and achieveing during shooting my airwolf, and everthing i have writen on this thread is the truth and as i see it. I would be happy to back up what i am saying in person on a calm day.

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker000 View Post
    thanks for the encouragement dvs1 and your confidence in my shooting.

i did not realise that so many people would not be confident in my shooting and are so sceptical about accuracy at this range with an fac airwolf mvt.

I would be happy to show non believers of the guns accuracy on a calm day at 130 yards.

if i did not manage tight groups i would pay for peoples petrol for getting to my place.

i am being totally honest from what i am finding and achieveing during shooting my airwolf, and everthing i have writen on this thread is the truth and as i see it. I would be happy to back up what i am saying in person on a calm day.
    Well i for one believe you, just because some people can't hit a dustbin lid at 10 yards, means that they find this sort of accuracy at long range very hard to believe, a bit like when cubleycat was shooting coke cans at 210 yards with a sub 12 ft/lb .177, she even got reported to the police!

answer

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnie56 View Post
    He does not state, if it was freehand or benchrested?
    its with a bipod lying down chap. there no way on this earth i would be able to do sub inch groups at 130 yards freestanding.

i cannot hit the 45mm targets at 40 yards standing up without a rest or tree/ post etc.

seem to get better groups with the bipod prone than leaning on the bench.

thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by jonezy25 View Post
    Well i for one believe you, just because some people can't hit a dustbin lid at 10 yards, means that they find this sort of accuracy at long range very hard to believe, a bit like when cubleycat was shooting coke cans at 210 yards with a sub 12 ft/lb .177, she even got reported to the police!
    thanks for your belief mate. i love this sport to much to go around dishonouring it by lying. and really enjoying traying to get the most out of the kit.

cannot understand why she got reported to the police?
    if she was hitting coke cans with sub 12ft/b at 210 thats some good shooting!
    the best i could do with my .177 theoben was 85 yards but the barrel on that gun i had was not that good.

had a falcon fn19 about 10 years ago that i brought of a guy second hand and did not reaslie he messed with the hammer spring so it was firing .177 at about 14ft/lbs. that gun was deadly accurate. rabbits at 60 yards were cleanly killed instantly. you just had to show the gun to the back or side of the rabbits heat at 60 y and it was centred brain shot every time. fantastic gun. regretted letting that one go. very nice barrel.

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Using the Taipan on my AirWolf MVT I could get good groups rested but not very good standing, I now use a Viper Connect on AirWolf and 45mm targets at 40m standing would be no problem, but I don't think it would be as good at long distance rested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Using the Taipan on my AirWolf MVT I could get good groups rested but not very good standing, I now use a Viper Connect on AirWolf and 45mm targets at 40m standing would be no problem, but I don't think it would be as good at long distance rested.
    i have never practiced much standing cause the gun is so heavy, but think i might put some practice in. has the viper connect got a big mill dot rect and is it light?

Good shooting without a doubt BUT as those of us who use FAC air quite a bit know, once you push the range over 50 yards everything depends on the wind.. This is especially the case with the JSB 15.9 grain pellets which are nowhere near as stable in the wind as BisMags.
    Anyway what this shows is that the barrel on the OP's AirWolf is a good one and THAT is what is really comforting. Nearly everything is down to the barrel.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

pellets wind barrel alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Good shooting without a doubt BUT as those of us who use FAC air quite a bit know, once you push the range over 50 yards everything depends on the wind.. This is especially the case with the JSB 15.9 grain pellets which are nowhere near as stable in the wind as BisMags.
    Anyway what this shows is that the barrel on the OP's AirWolf is a good one and THAT is what is really comforting. Nearly everything is down to the barrel.
    firstly thanks to neddy for the encouragement your a star mate.

i've simply not been sooting for the last 5 days. as there been a head wind on my land. also gusty and a cross wind. today looks ok so will give it a try.

i just don't use the b magnums cause they will not group for me at all after 60 yards. but i feel i have been very lucky with the barrel and also not so due to a cross over problem i have had since the gun was new. the barrel does not sit under the block correctly and is set to the side slightly. secondly the alignment of the barrel is not parrel to the block. so a pair of fully ajustable sport match mount are the 6th set of mounts i have had on the gun after the block had recently been replaced but not corrcting the problem. the only way to get perfect alignment has been to move the scope 2-3 mill left on both mounts and slightly diagonal to the block. the scope windage is also well off optical centre. but now after 4 scopes and 6 mounts the guns barrel is aligned with the rectical of the scope. but the scope is far from being optically centred and almost to the end of the turrets travel.

so in some ways i have been lucky to get a very nice barrel and others no so due to the bad alignment.

Gotta say, i am still not 100% sure that Nightstalker isn't gary??!

You seem too nice to be real, i would have told the people doubting you to bugger off and Troll somewhere else...preferably a knitting forum!!

don't see why you would bother coming on here to LIE about something like that??
    Very patient.

Getting the sort of groups, you are talking about are very believable...albeit only on the rare occassions we have a still day!

My Protarget was close to grouping sub 1" at 100yds, running legal power and only on very still days...never actually quite did it but very close (A group being 5 shots)...Some benchresters are capable of this feat, given the right circumstances IMO.

I love long range shooting, very satisfying!

XX
    Last edited by blackscale; 03-11-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: missed info
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    thanks for your belief mate. i love this sport to much to go around dishonouring it by lying. and really enjoying traying to get the most out of the kit.

cannot understand why she got reported to the police?
    if she was hitting coke cans with sub 12ft/b at 210 thats some good shooting!
    the best i could do with my .177 theoben was 85 yards but the barrel on that gun i had was not that good.

had a falcon fn19 about 10 years ago that i brought of a guy second hand and did not reaslie he messed with the hammer spring so it was firing .177 at about 14ft/lbs. that gun was deadly accurate. rabbits at 60 yards were cleanly killed instantly. you just had to show the gun to the back or side of the rabbits heat at 60 y and it was centred brain shot every time. fantastic gun. regretted letting that one go. very nice barrel.

Hi buddy, she got reported to the police because *someone* who watched her long range shooting videos on youtube, thought she was using an FAC air rifle, as the shots were at a long distance, and grassed her up, police raided her house and tested her weihrauch hw100, and it was sub 12 ft/lb.

some people just didn't believe it was possible with sub 12 ft/lb!

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    i have never practiced much standing cause the gun is so heavy, but think i might put some practice in. has the viper connect got a big mill dot rect and is it light?
    The viper connect has AMD or SCB recticle, for my purposes it suits the AirWolf well as it is (roughly) half the weight of Taipan, but, more importantly sits much further back, which for me means it's much more stable for standing shots, but for long range rested shots the Taipan is much better IMO, which is why I have one on my HMR.

Well done!

Whilst a member of Cobham rifle and pistol club, we had totally wind free ranges, with butts at 25, 50 and 100 yds. Sub 1" groups at 100yds were readily achievable, even with sub 12ft llb .177 airguns
    We used to put spent .410 cartridges, end on, on the 100yd rail-used to knock them off pretty much 10 out of 10 shots (Logun Mk2 pro with an inline mag-set up for Accupels).

I remember the warm, Summer afternoon when John Budd and I were happily knocking a 2" wooden ball threaded onto a string, tied to the 100yd rail, (whilst it was swinging) Bob Ruggles from Lea Valley had paid us a royal visit-I don't think he could believe what he was seeing.

Happy Days
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

knitting forum!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    Gotta say, i am still not 100% sure that Nightstalker isn't gary??!

You seem too nice to be real, i would have told the people doubting you to bugger off and Troll somewhere else...preferably a knitting forum!!

don't see why you would bother coming on here to LIE about something like that??
    Very patient.

Getting the sort of groups, you are talking about are very believable...albeit only on the rare occassions we have a still day!

My Protarget was close to grouping sub 1" at 100yds, running legal power and only on very still days...never actually quite did it but very close (A group being 5 shots)...Some benchresters are capable of this feat, given the right circumstances IMO.

I love long range shooting, very satisfying!

XX
    knitting forum that funny.

good shooting mate, that protarget sounds like a good bit of kit very satifying shooting a 12ft/lb gun at that range. could not do anything with a pellet gun todaytho the wind is bending the trees looking out the window.

unfortunatly the funs over for me as the gun has to go back to daystate. maybe for a new barrel either that or my money back. i think i have been dealing with a major barrel/blockscope misalignment problem and its very frustrating. with my fully ajuatable sports match mounts and off the scale turret travel the guns rectical to barrel is still not aligned right. windage optically centred on the turrets and mount aligned with the block and the barrel is sending the pellet 13 inches to the left at 35 yards. been told by a gun smith that it should be up to 4 inches either way when everything is centred before zeroing so it looks like a new barrel or money back

hopefully a new barrel will group as good as the old one but who knows maybe not

if daystate do not swap it i'm stuck with a badly misaligned gun.

Something I just cannot figure in this thread - why 134 yards?