Thread: Lincoln Jefferies Type

Lincoln Jefferies Type

Hi
    Can anyone confirm if my memory is correct, has there ever bee a Lincoln Jefferies Type air riffle that has a hexaganal barrel.
    any information would be nice.
    regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by treebeard View Post
    Hi
    Can anyone confirm if my memory is correct, has there ever bee a Lincoln Jefferies Type air riffle that has a hexaganal barrel.
    any information would be nice.
    regards
    Rob
    The experts will be along but, in the meantime 'yes' I have seen Gem type rifles bearing the Lincoln Jefferies brum marks

Hi there,

As Binners says early Gems and Milita air rifles has octagonal-round barrels and were marked with the Lincoln Jeffries name.

Lakey

edbear2 Guest
    HI Rob......If you mean has there ever been an under lever in the style of a Lincoln / BSA of the early 1900's , but with a hex barrel, I don't personally know.

However, as others have rightly mentioned, in the 20 or so years running up to, and at the turn of the century, the main airguns available were the Gem and later the Militia types which did have hexagonal, or hexagonal to round transition barrels.

At this time It was a fairly common (and criticised by trade publications of the period) practise amongst British gun-makers to import these guns, and either just do a few small mods, and then stamp them with their trademarks......a nice little earner, as for say fitting a better quality mainspring, a bit of tidying up and perhaps new sights, a fairly basic imported gun would be sold as a Birmingham or London "made" gun, and the price increased upwards (far more than the cost of the minimal work carried out) to suit it's new identity.

So it is possible to see early German guns with the stamps of more than a few well known British firms!....I have read that Lincoln Jeffries made perhaps more of an effort to actually improve the shooting performance than many, and would have the barrels straightened, improve the lock up mechanism and re-sight the guns as well......after all, it would pay off as word got around that "his" guns were better performers.

The rest is history really....Target shooting was taking off in a big way, there was a desire for more accuracy...Lincoln Jeffries looked at what was out there, and decided that no matter what you did to modify existing designs, something better in the way of breech sealing, and barrel stability was needed....and so set pen to paper!