Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FWB 300S pellet preference

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Remembering back to this rifle's glory days, I suppose it would have been a toss-up between the RWS Meisterkugeln and H&N Match? I think the modern day RWS equivalent is the R10?
    Apologies for replying to my own post, gents.

But, I see RWS do the R10 Match and that they also still do the Meisterkugeln. I realise that pellet preference will vary from gun to gun and barrel to barrel, but, in most people's opinions, is there anything to choose between these two?

Pleasantly surprised with the pricing on these two, too!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

But, I see RWS do the R10 Match and that they also still do the Meisterkugeln. I realise that pellet preference will vary from gun to gun and barrel to barrel, but, in most people's opinions, is there anything to choose between these two?

We'll get a selection Tone and try 'em between the rifles ?

Let me know what you fancy and I'll get something else !
    John.
    “An airgun or two”………

If you want a bargain pellet try RWS Basic. I use them to good effect (Ive scored a few 50 ex 50s @ 10m pistol) using these in my Walther, Styer etc. nearly half the price of R10s and just as good. Our club sells them at £4.50 for 500 but if you shop around you may get them cheaper. Well worth trying.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Cheers Ian and John.

Although it's early days with my 300, I very much get the feeling (as I expected) that of will be VERY accurate with a very wide range of pellets, due to the design, the quality, the engineering tolerances, the "recoilless" nature and delicious trigger.

It's very heartening to hear about how well the Basics go and I've already seen how accurate it is with the Hobbies......10 yards, in plinking mode, 10 shots in the same, slightly enlarged pellet sized hole.

And, comparing the prices of match wadcutters with "FT type" rounds, the match stuff looks seriously good value.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Basics v R10s

Have to agree with IJ, R10s are superb quality but basics work great & imho most shooters (myself included) aren't good enough to take advantage of the better quality R10s. Just wish I hadn't left the 2 tins I bought at the club! Last week my rifle, this week my ammo! Losing the plot!

TonyL,

JSB Match (Orange), RWS R10 pistol & RWS R10 rifle all shoot superbly in my FWB300 (not 'S').

The Meisterkugeln (Rifle & Pistol weights) also shoot very well, but with volume purchasing (5000 pellets at least), I don't pay a lot more for the JSB & R10s than I would for the Meisterkugeln, and as some of my rifles positively love the R10s, then R10s it was

I have noticed (for me, with my rifle) that the 'fit to the breach' feeling is much more consistent with the JSB & R10s than it is with the Meisterkuglen - some of the Meisterkuglen were sloppier than the mean, and some were tighter- just something that was noticeable. At my level of shooting (quite bad ) I don't think I would notice any difference on the target

Get some Meisterkugeln & Basic and see what you think - please let us know how you get on as this all adds to the body of knowledge

Have fun & a good Sunday & Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks to all for your input; marvellous place, the BBS.

I can obtain the R10s locally-ish, cheap, too.

Will report back.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Gonna go with Crossie Prems and "file the dome off" !

Whadya reckon Tone ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Nah, a hacksaw would be better, John!

Just to prove my point this is one I did earlier today. 10m single handed using a Walther LP400 and RWS Basic pellets.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=48
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    We'll get a selection Tone and try 'em between the rifles ?

Let me know what you fancy and I'll get something else !
    John.
    We had to go to Lincoln for something today, John, so got some RWS R10 Match.

Unfortunately, didn't have time to try them out, but they look lovely, all shiny and seemingly well and very uniformly made. And all for £6.99!

Can't wait to try them out.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    any upates Tony ?

thinking of using mine for 20m benchrest, being lazy...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I might get an opportunity to try the R10s tomorrow, Jon.

I have a hospital appointment for my eyes in the morning and they have said that, due to some drops that they're going to use, I can't drive for four hours. And I live 30 miles from work. So, as I'd worked the last Bank Holiday, I thought it'd be a good idea to book tomorrow off as a lieu day.

Once my vision is clear, I'll give it a go and report back.

Okay then, managed a "pellet test" today, but certainly nothing conclusive, I'm afraid.

Let me explain.

The reason that I had an appointment today with some opthology peeps was that I went for an eye test a few weeks ago, resulting in upping of my prescription and ordering of new jam jars. The optician had also referred me to the hospital due to a test revealing over sensitive eyes when he did this pressure test thingy.

My wife also took a phone call a couple of days ago from the opticians saying my new glasses were ready so, with taking the day off today due to the eye drops causing blurred vision for a few hours, it was also a good plan to collect the new glasses this afternoon.

Well, when I left the hospital at around 10.30, I could hardly see, the vision was THAT blurry and even the 10 minutes walk home was an ordeal. As well as the really blurry vision, the eye drops caused the pupils to dilate so that they could see right inside my eyes and take photos. It was bright outside and was killing my eyes. When I got home I rested in a dark room for a few hours until it was time to go get the new glasses. Eyes were still not that good then.

Once I returned from town, they seemed quite a lot better, although straining a bit with the new prescription.

So, did the pellet test. The big problem I had, however, was using the diopters. If I tried to maintain / confirm the perfect sight picture for more than about a second before I released that delicious trigger, the sight picture would go blurry, so I had loads of shots where I had to put it down and recompose before taking the shot.......Or take more of a "snap shot".

Now, if marks were to be awarded for quality of finish, cleanliness and size consistency (going by feel into the breech) the R10s won hands down. Absolutely no contest. Group sizes....mmmmm.....as I said, nothing conclusive. The groups, even with the Hobbies that I'd previously used, weren't quite as tight as previous grouos when my eyes hadn't been playing up. And R10s maybe, MAYBE might have just shaded them by a tiny fraction. I will have to test again when my eyes aren't playing silly buggers. But one thing that is immediately apparent (and I was never in any doubt re observations made by the kind posters up above) was how good the Hobby is for such a cheap pellet. I've used them for years in both calibres and always liked them, and this (flawed) test certainly confirmed that.

Jon, maybe at 20 yards there may be more difference. Couldn't be too sure, though. I guess that, for bench rest, you'll be using a 'scope? I'm thinking that I might fit a low mag one on this, we'll see.

And another thing that is HUGELY apparent is what a wonderful rifle this is. Oozing quality out of every pore, a marvel of precision engineering. I absolutey love it to bits.
    Last edited by TonyL; 12-05-2016 at 07:06 PM.