Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slighty urgent first post

Argghhh its a repeat of the situation all newcomers to m/l ask about.

First remember all data for m/l charges is done with volumetric measurement. 20grns weight is not the same as 20grns by vol.

The intention of the grease is to lubricate and help reduce deposits or at least keep them soft. This sploshing a load over the front of the ball, well I think its develoved from someone going over the top with fear of front of cylinder flashover. If you are using a buffer/filler of maybe 3/8" depth the risk is going to be reduced anyway. Seems a fad at my club to use Trixo hand cream in a syringe and just inject a very fine line round where the ball meets the cylinder.

Just try to get your load and filler to end up with the ball just below the cylinder face and you will stand a chance of good grouping. BTW 20-25 grns would be my suggestion for powder to start with but opinions will vary.

My loading is quite away from basic BP so I wont confuse you with it other than to say I use a different powder and just coat my balls with alox.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thanks for your replies chaps, think i know what I am doing (to start with) now
    Knocked this up in my workshop this afternoon.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...S/DSCF4314.jpg

money saved will buy me some grease!!

McT, I would love to invite you over to shoot, but as I only joined the first of this month, I'd better wait a bit!!
    Dave

Just read the full article from harricook & now I don't know whether to bother to use grease at all
    Mind you, as I have been supplied with .451 balls, maybe I will
    Thanks for the lube offer Roy, but I don't think you noticed that i live in France?
    A guy at my club, which does all forms of shooting, was using a Grice (English 1762) flintlock the other day. It shoots a .65 ball
    (about eye ball size) Quite a bang!!
    I have a couple of average pics of the rifle if anyone interested?
    Dave

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Sounds like a real cannon Yeah post them somewhere, I'd like to see. Thanks.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Just read the full article from harricook & now I don't know whether to bother to use grease at all
    Mind you, as I have been supplied with .451 balls, maybe I will
    Thanks for the lube offer Roy, but I don't think you noticed that i live in France?
    A guy at my club, which does all forms of shooting, was using a Grice (English 1762) flintlock the other day. It shoots a .65 ball
    (about eye ball size) Quite a bang!!
    Dave
    Hi DAve

Yes I saw you live in France - there is only a strip of water in between us !!

Let me know if you want some sent !

......and I would use .454 balls of soft lead in your NMA ....... or even 457

R

Hi all, my first post in this section, & silly question #1!!
    Just bought a Pietta New Model Army; .44, colour case hardened frame & beautiful!!
    After borrowing a BP at my club, loading & shooting 18 shots, I was hooked! Went straight to a gun shop & fell in love, & bought the above.
    Now two questions I need answered quickly before I can go & break her in (gently )
    FIRST I asked in shop for grease to put on top of charged ball, & they were out of stock. Like a pratt I forgot to ask what sort of grease is ok to use so I could get some elsewhere. In the book it says 'crisco' or hydraulic pump or veg grease.
    Tell me what to get please, no brand names as they probably won't have it over here under that name.

SECOND guy in shop, who is an ardent BP shooter, sold me some F2 powder , which I assume is FFG & in the book on reading it at home, it says use FFFG.
    Is this a problem or can I just use this batch up first?
    Tried to ring shop but can't get through ATM
    Cheers
    Dave (I'll be back!)
    I Personaly use "Wads" due to keeping the gun cleaner for longer equaling more shooting time, greese is ok but bloody messy, and to keep it even cheaper buy a hole punch and get some felt from the bay and make your own, i make my own borebutter to lube the wads but if you make them right they wont be wet, so you get the best of both worlds and without all that greese messing with the powder and making everything cease up and locking the cylinder.