Thread: Shaker

Shaker

Heres a phenomenom I have discovered recently and would like a bit of advi ce on...if someone would be so kind,

It concerns 10m pistol, I have a Steyr LP10 and can hold without shaking pretty well, Having taken up first stage on the way down past the target I then hold in the aiming area, however as i begin increasing the pressure on the trigger the shaking starts. is this anticipation, adrenalin or incompetence?

Will practice get rid of it ...

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

1. Practice dry firing.
    2. Next, practice firing the shot faster - up, aim, fire, all in a couple of seconds.

That said, if the trigger is badly set up, or the grip is the wrong shape for your hands, this won't help - but I'm sure you'll find 90% of the problem is in your head.

You need to take control, and squeeze the trigger when the sights are in the aiming area. Not in the X ring, in the aiming area. It you are able to see the centre of the target as opposed to a fuzzy black wobbling thing, you are not looking at the sights and the shot will be poor... Stop concentrating on getting everything perfectly lined up and still - 'cos it will never happen unless you use a bench rest. Concentrate on the sights as you bring the gun into the aiming area below the fuzzy black dot, and then take control and squeeze the trigger. Follow through by realigning the sights and think where the shot went, then lower the pistol and have a look.

Don't rush the process, but if you are holding aim for more than a few seconds (some say as few as 4, other as much as 12, only you can work out what works for you), you should be putting the gun down without firing, and starting the process over again. (point 2 at the top of this post can significacntly help you here).

McT

Good advice from McT there.

Also how hard do you hold the grip? Gripping with too much force can result in the shakes. Too little and the gun will move in your hand when you squeeze the trigger.

HTH

Mark

shaking

Well the phenomonon i described only occured just as i decide to begin taking up stage to pressure however I am now convinced it is a combination of all the issues kindly explained above. Mostly anticipation, dry firing practice does not bring the shakes into play its only when I am actually trying to score so its probably 90% adrenalin something I can control with practice.

Thanks for all your help