Thread: Air Pistol Trigger Setup

Air Pistol Trigger Setup

I'm just wondering how people have their trigger setup, and if there is any recommended/advised setup.

I mean between the slack weight and point weight. I don't have a way to measure it but I would say mine is fairly even between the 2.

Are there benefits in having a higher or lower slack weight?

I tend to take the slack quite early as I have a definitive stop, is that good/bad technique?

EDIT: Found this after posting which has some information, also a link to an interview with Mick Gault
    http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.ph...ol_Adjustments
    Last edited by barrow_matt; 23-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Not sent from an iPhone.

I've an LP50 so can't adjust the stages independently. Like you, the first stage is relatively light allowing an early take up with a firm squeeze required to release the second stage.

Most precision shooters would say that the first stage should be heavier than this, so that when you take up the first stage the additional pressure to release the shot is minimal, and therefore you are less likely to snatch or pull the shot. I tried a gun set up like this and instantly improved my group - but that just told me I needed to concentrate more on the trigger and as a result I have managed to bring the LP50's group in. I was ready to buy another gun to get this adjustablity of the trigger (eg LP10), but I have decided I don't need to, I just need to understand the dynamics involved and to practice. A 'better trigger' might be a short cut to scoring a few extra points, but learning how to use the trigger properly will bring bigger rewards (assuming the trigger is not bad and it is just technique which needs improvement, as was my case with the LP50).

Regarding trigger weights - get a wire coat hanger, make a lead weight out of an old pellet tin and scrap pellets that just releases the trigger - then take the weight with the coat hanger to your local supermarket and weigh it in the grocery section. I've got a weight I've made which is about 520g and I set my gun up to take this with ease - then when I go through equipment control I know all will be OK, one less thing to worry about before a match.

McT

Last night before shooting I did turn the first stage weight up a bit and the second stage down to compensate.

We have a 500g trigger weight at the club, it's the first stage weight i'm not sure how to measure. I guess you just wind the second stage back to 0 or as close as it will go then create a weight like you suggest at around 400g. Then when the first stage is right wind the second stage up to take the 500g weight.

Was shooting well last night, good groups and a few flyers but that's just me getting used to the pistol. I also moved the trigger a little further away and got an excellent group (around 4cm @ 20 yards) but it was slightly to the left.

So I don't know if I was pulling to the right or if i'm now pushing to the left but were in between seasons so i've got time to work on the setup and groups before moving the sights after the 10.

I'll probably make another couple of adjustments before shooting again on Sunday then stick with it.
    Not sent from an iPhone.

I must say that my Aeron, hammerli steyr and morini are all at factory setup.
    I suspect that a heavier 1st stage might be a disadvantage if yr very nervous before competition. Risk of the shot going early.
    Otherwise, I suspect a too light 1st stage would make too big a difference with sec stage weight. Making the risk of triggerfaults larger.
    I'm just thinking out loud here..
    ATB,
    yana

I made a trigger weight contraption using a water bottle and a few bits and bobs, then some digital kitchen scales to get the weight. The first stage was set at 400g or very close to it after I adjusted it by feel during the week so I have left it.

I've also removed the bit of creep after the trigger releases.

Now I can stop tweaking and concentrate on shooting!
    Not sent from an iPhone.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    My advise would be to get an accurate weight, had a bit of a scare today at Bisley at the Middx air meeting, pistol went off twice before I could lift the weight, probably down to the gun being cold.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr