Thread: Another question, sorry!!

Another question, sorry!!

Hi all, I said I would be back!
    Just seen a tubular gizmo which I assume is spring loaded for putting the caps in place. As I have difficulty getting the caps on, are these worth having & is there room to use these on a western gun (particularly Remington New Army)??
    Cheers
    Dave

Ive got a capper, sometimes use it on my ROA, normally on cold or wet days, when its fiddly to get the caps on.

So yes they are ok, and yes they will be fine on a NMA.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Bought one, tried it once & never used it again.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Cappers

I've tried these on a NMA and they're not asgood as you'd hope. The problem is that the space available to get the capper on to the nipple is quite restricted. This means you are dependent on the actual manufacturer as to whether you've got the space to use one or not. I have to say that in the end, I gave up on them too. You have enough time in a 30 minute match to get it all done with plenty to spare.

Don't take my word for it, borrow one before you buy!

Good luck

Nick

As Nick says - it's not starightforward

I bought one & had nothing but trouble - filed & ground the end until it sort of fitted

Then I got given one (well it was in with some kit I bought) & the business end was very different & it worked like a dream both on my NMA & my Ruger OA

Trouble is - there are no makers names on it & I can't tell you where it was bought !!

So keep your eyes open & hope to find one that fits for you !

(As the advert says ...... I'm not being much help am I !?!?)

Roy

As above - NMA has little space for the capper to slide off the nipple and away from the gun. Thy are great on some guns, but useless on the NMA (unless someone knows of one specifically designed for the Remmie).

Also, looking at your press jpeg in the other post, I understand that in competition you are expected to load the cylinder in the gun, not remove it for loading (unless someone advises differently??)

McT

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Bought one, tried it once & never used it again.
    Me too.

Using these guns have given me a new respect for the people that had to rely on them for life. Just imagine sitting on a jittery horse, trying to cap one of the revolvers with numb fingers in the freezing cold of an American winter, while arrows are whistling around your ears and large painted men are intent on giving you a free haircut.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by McTrucky View Post
    As above - NMA has little space for the capper to slide off the nipple and away from the gun. Thy are great on some guns, but useless on the NMA (unless someone knows of one specifically designed for the Remmie).

That's wht I asked before 'shelling' (get it?) out for one

Also, looking at your press jpeg in the other post, I understand that in competition you are expected to load the cylinder in the gun, not remove it for loading (unless someone advises differently??)

McT
    Quote Originally Posted by NickHarvey View Post
    Don't take my word for it, borrow one before you buy!
    Nick
    I' d like to but don't know a lot of BP'ers yet

I won't be shooting in comps for a while yet so the capper & press are for my own shooting ATM

What about the star shaped cappers I saw in a catalogue once? Are they better for limited space?
    Dave

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    I did see once a capper that instead of the caps being side-by-side, they were all on top of each other. Never managed to find one to buy, but it might work better on the NMA. You obviously cant press them down hard, but it just seated them on the nipple.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Me too.

Using these guns have given me a new respect for the people that had to rely on them for life. Just imagine sitting on a jittery horse, trying to cap one of the revolvers with numb fingers in the freezing cold of an American winter, while arrows are whistling around your ears and large painted men are intent on giving you a free haircut.
    Makes you realize why cartridges became so popular, so quickly!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

ive got a capping tool for my new army model and with the right technique you can use it very well, some get problems with difrent sizes as the capper might pull it back out with it as sliding is an issue with room, they work amazingly on a colt, ive spotted diffrent types of capping tools about so well worth a go if you cant do it so well by hand but i use mine all the time

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Trouble is

Quote Originally Posted by mat BRC View Post
    they work amazingly on a colt
    I've never been able to find one that will handle No.10 caps, they all seem to be built for 11's and trying to use 10's in these cappers is a bit of a nightmare.

I wish that I was handy enough to have a go at making my own as I find manual capping a little difficult. (Crap eyes and fat fingers)
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

i remerw my nipples, so they usualy start off on a 10 as i found out the other day when i had 11's and every time i shot the rest flew off haha