Thread: BSA Meteor rebuild blog

BSA Meteor rebuild blog

just finished rebuilding a Meteor Mk5 I bought off here a couple of weeks ago, remembered to take some piccies this time and have put a blog together .. let me know what you think .. I've still got some pictures to add yet though.

http://bsameteor.blogspot.com/

My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

Great blog entry, you've made a lovely job of it. Would I recognise the open sights you had there by any a chance?...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    How does that breech-pin fix work? I can't quite visualise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plink all day View Post
    Great blog entry, you've made a lovely job of it. Would I recognise the open sights you had there by any a chance?...
    You would ... it's just the way it worked out .. still on the lookout for a set for the .177 Scorpion pistol There are some on the 'bay at the mo, but I suspect they might get a little expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    How does that breech-pin fix work? I can't quite visualise it.

I'll get some more photos up there and give you a shout when I do. Basically the steel spring pin replaces the solid hinge pin, and since it's diameter is about 0.8mm larger it squeezes in and holds everything tight, but because it's a sprung fit it allows the pin to compress if it needs to rather than causing more wear to the holes it fits through.

That's probably about as clear as mud ... I'll do the photos

Hi Lee
    enjoyed reading the blog, i recently got a hold of a MK4 Super .22 mainly for my daughter to use but also for a bit of light hunting mine too had an ox spring fitted and it had cracked the piston,
    i welded up the piston and machined back to shape replaced Oring and buffer washers but with the spring i cut it down so i have about 1/8inch preload refinished the ends of the spring and made a delrin top-hat the jaws where also slack but the pin was good so with the barrel out i put the jaws in the vice and gave it about 1/4 of a turn just enough to bring the jaws back in to line. all put back together and wow she is smooth and putting a consistent 10.5ftlb, rested on a bag i can get one hole groups at 20yds, it came with a 3x9x40 simmons scope and single screw sports match mounts and i expected the usual creep from the mounts due to recoil but half a tin of pellets later and zero is still spot on
    I think i will have to get my daughter something else as this little gun just begs me to pick it up all the time a very usable collectable
    i think i will take a tip from you with the front stock screws it looks really good and as you say is a lot stronger
    i hope you enjoy yours as much as i am enjoying mine look forward to the updates on the blog

atvb Andy
    Gamo Phox .22
    BSA Lightning SE GRT .22
    tuned XS78 .22

Hi Lee
    Good job there iam doing another meteor myself, i have done a few now and the gold lettering is easy to do heres how i do it.
    I put a bit of oil on a cloth wipe it on the cylinder around the lettering then get the gold paint and just paint the lettering all over just blob it on the cylinder you dont have to paint every letter with care, as i say plaster it over the top, then a clean cloth and wipe it off right away the oil around the lettering stops the paint sticking to it belive me it realy works and looks good as new.
    JJJJJJ

excellent tip! Might give it a go ..

I've now put some more pictures on the blog, including some of the finished gun. Glad it's given a bit of enjoyment to someone else, it was quite nice to reflect on the process. Normally we do this stuff and don't appreciate how we turn junkers back into keepers.

Looking very nice Lee you have made a good job of that
    Gamo Phox .22
    BSA Lightning SE GRT .22
    tuned XS78 .22