Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airfix SLR and Airfix Thompson

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Airfix SLR and Airfix Thompson

I know that these are technically toys or early airsoft guns but this is Collectors Corner ... The Airfix SLR and Airfix Thompson SMG seem to be the rarest pellet-firing guns in the world, although many must have been made. Internet presence is almost nil, I think there is one picture of one on the whole of the interweb. They were all smashed by their owners.

I wonder if Airfix still has the moulds? They would do a great business in selling them to nostalgic 40-60 year-olds.

Has anyone got one?

edbear2 Guest

Someone made a Mauser bolt action too. Had the SLR but being plastic they did break easily and the sword (bayonet for non riflemen) was really cool. Silver plastic bullets and could hardly shoot 10 ft. Wow that really is pushing the nostalgia boat out a long way.

My favorite gun of all time was a blue lever action rubber dart gun; you had to break the barrel to load and then crank the lever action. Good for across the room. Also came with a blow gun that used the same ammo (faster and more powerful). Anyone have one of those????!!!!

Automag

I still have a 44 magnum automag, a mauser broomhandle and a s & w 357 magnum. These are from the early eighties and were originally plastic model kits with metal weights in them made by crown and marui of japan. They originally came with special caps and the mauser was fully automatic although it wasnt very reliable. I think they were eventually replaced by the ready made airsoft versions.
    Bsa Spitfire, Air Logic Genesis, Golden Gun, BSA Mercury.

Wow, what a nostalgia trip. I had both of these and can remember getting them from Woolies in Cricklewood. Had a row with the next door neighbour over the SLR when I insisted on calling it an FN (as that is what it said on the box!) while he said it was an SLR. Happy days.

John

The Airfix SLR.... Jeeze that takes me back to happier times! Do kids of today even know how to play Japs and Commandoes?

My Airfix SLR went the way of probably every other Airfix SLR of the day unfortunately Looking back I had quite an armoury of kiddie guns back then... my dad was forever buying me them - My god! He could he have been some kind of gun nut

Dont have the SLR sadly, but kicking about in the loft somewhere are two original spring operated Airsofts - an Automag and a Browning. Both fire large "shuttlecock" shaped pellets not very far but they seemed quite impressive at the time - 6mmBB hadn't been invented yet.

I also have two Daisy revolvers. One follows the standard S&W half ejector shroud look ala Mod29 of Dirty Harry fame. The other looks more like a Colt Python but with an S&W style frame. Both shoot a small sub calibre pellet of a neoprene like material. These have to be preloaded into special self contained sprung cartridges which have to be "pre charged"(set) using a special tool. The whole thing is pretty pointless really as the barrel is essentially just a large tube about twice the diameter of the pellet so there is no semblance of accuracy at all and even less power!
    Last edited by Gun Collector; 26-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Someone made a Mauser bolt action too. Had the SLR but being plastic they did break easily and the sword (bayonet for non riflemen) was really cool. Silver plastic bullets and could hardly shoot 10 ft. Wow that really is pushing the nostalgia boat out a long way.

My favorite gun of all time was a blue lever action rubber dart gun; you had to break the barrel to load and then crank the lever action. Good for across the room. Also came with a blow gun that used the same ammo (faster and more powerful). Anyone have one of those????!!!!
    "Targetland", I wrote about this in the toy gun thread earlier today.

Simon
    Anschutz 1427 .22LR Nikon Buckmaster SF 4.5-14x40, A-TEC Mod, Tikka M595 222Rem, Leupold 6.5-20x40LR, Howa 1500 APC 308Win, Nikko Diamond 6-24x50 FFP, wildcat Evolution, Sauer 202 243Win, Leupold 4.5-14x50LR, wildcat Evolution.

I was fortunate enough to own both of these models back in the mid 60's, complete with their silver plastic bullets. (Great for shooting Japanese vampires when playing Japs and commandos!)

Happy days, jumpers for goalposts, ect ect.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Thanks Stover Rover for the heads up. I even found a Targetland on evilbay recent history but it wasn't my blue!
    Great blast from the past.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Yes I had one of each of these, the damn bullets would get lost immediately leaving one with a single shot gun! I also had an M3 'grease gun' which fired the same plastic slug.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I know that these are technically toys or early airsoft guns but this is Collectors Corner ... The Airfix SLR and Airfix Thompson SMG seem to be the rarest pellet-firing guns in the world, although many must have been made. Internet presence is almost nil, I think there is one picture of one on the whole of the interweb. They were all smashed by their owners.

I wonder if Airfix still has the moulds? They would do a great business in selling them to nostalgic 40-60 year-olds.

Has anyone got one?
    Hi
    I wish!
    My brother bought me the tommy gun from Lewis stores in about 1979/80
    and i loved it.
    It fired silver plastic bullets and it was the biss!
    But with playing in the barn my dad accidently drove over it with the tractor
    and that was that

atb

hooker

Beautiful plastic guns. Had the SLR twice (barrel broke off). Lovely bayonet
    Freedom needs a soldier.

I had the SLR and my brother had the tommy gun. Both were smashed by our mum after an extended period of CQB in the dining room!

Fn /slr

I had one back in the 70's in metal with wood effect plastic furniture . Seem to remember it did not fire anything but took a paper roll of caps . Then again I had a metal -shell ejecting Mauser k98 . Again cannot remember it firing anything , but the shell ejection was superb .

I did have a rubber cupped shuttelcock firing 'air' gun . Was pump action with from memory the round 8 shot revolving cylinder to the front end - hardly any barrel (!) . All cammo with a folding stock ....

Italian company Edison Giacotili ( spelling may be worng ) made a lot back in 70's ....including my fav -science fiction style smoked transparent plastic linear cap guns - used a long line of those small red caps in a row , and the smoked see thru meant you could see the flash every time one went off .
    After a couple of bursts the black soot inside meant you couldn't see anymore
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

I can't recall having any of those airfix guns but i can remember having a Johnny 7 for chrimbo

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/