Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airfix SLR and Airfix Thompson

Airfix

Hello. I actualy have a mint carded 'Airfix' FAL-SLR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honest.

I bought it about 10 years ago. It's been kept in a nice safe dry environment. I also have-

Toy Lone Star Metal FN-FAL SLR. 1970's
    Toy Boxed Springfield Bolt Action. 1970's
    Toy Boxed AR10 Armalite 1960's
    Toy Ingram Cap firer 1980's

Will try to get some pic's up when the weather better.

Cheers

Pics

Say's am not allowed to post pics?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner10_0 View Post
    use an outside host such as Flickr or Photobucket or failing request a kind member to host them for you...

WOW, this takes me back. I had the SLR when i was about 5. I went shooting with my dad with it. He used a 12 bore and i learned about gun safety with mine. 4 years later and I was had my own Greener GP.
    That was valuable time spent with my dad. Reccommended.
    I still remember loading the mag with the little silver plastic bullets and then loosing them. I feel five again, thanks.

If you e-mail them to me i'll host them for you.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Pics at last!

I had the black SLR too for xmas when I was about five, pretty sure my uncle broke it for me before new year! Great to see the photos.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

I think i'm going to Cry!!!

Blimey trip down the lane with those pics!
    Had the mauser with dummy shell, and the SLR.
    Was the slr bayonet spring loaded, i.e blade moved back and forth?? Seem to remember it may of?

Show me your war face ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! bugger barrels broke

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Toy Lone Star Metal FN-FAL SLR. 1970's
    Toy Boxed Springfield Bolt Action. 1970's
    Toy Boxed AR10 Armalite 1960's
    Toy Ingram Cap firer 1980's

Cheers
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, I feel relieved now, I don't have to scour the Earth looking for one 'in the plastic' as it were. You've satisfied my nostalgia 'urge'.

It's interesting none of the guns, while very similar, are exact scaled-down copies. I wonder why they changed them? The Airfix SLR is nearly there, but I suppose the trigger unit had to be modded to get the spring-action firing system to work. The other ones are more curious - why the foreshortened magazine on the cap-firing FN-FAL/SLR? And the bulbous stock on the AR10?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ar-10.jpg - here is a pic of a real AR10. Nice clean straight lines on the stock.

what is that about? And why is a toy-maker making an AR10 when it was never issued to any armies of note (sorry Portugal!) - I suppose it does look like a ray-gun - but surely a Garand M1, an M14 or a M1 Carbine would have been a more obvious choice?

If you put that lot down for auction you could buy a new Fiat 500!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 05-10-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    Was the slr bayonet spring loaded, i.e blade moved back and forth?? Seem to remember it may of?
    The SLR blade was soft plastic, but there was a spring-loaded plastic Commando dagger that lots of kids in the 1970s played with....probably got them confused unless you made up a special mounting. Brittle polystyrene was never going to last long as a thin cylinder.. should have put a metal liner in the barrel.

Thanks for all the kind word's. I have my old 'Ideal' Metal PPK cap gun somewhere. Will get a pic up when can.

Cheers

Do any of you remember a cap firing Remington 1858 cap&ball revolver with white grips ... that was a favourite of mine