Thread: LIMIT Pistol

LIMIT Pistol

I have come by this pistol in 0.177 cal. It had been neglected in a garage for over 20 years, but with oil and elbow grease it cleaned up a treat, and all works well. The markings are stamped into the top and are "Made in England" and a stylised "LIMIT" set in an oval.
    Works ? - well it fires a pellet but the trigger almost needs two hands to pull it. I haven't worked out how to strip it for an internal service, but perhaps someone on here could guide me.
    I know nothing about this make, where abouts ? when were they made ? are they rare? or collectable ?
    Over to the superior knowledge of this Forum, and thanks to Neil when the picture comes up.

David
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk

David, I have a good conditioned one. All I know is that it was made in the 50s. Know nothing else about them. Bought mine off here for 20 odd quid.

Quote Originally Posted by david9d View Post
    I haven't worked out how to strip it for an internal service, but perhaps someone on here could guide me.
    Isn't there usually a muzzle nut which unscrews, the mainspring then comes off forward and the barrel assembly can be pulled right back out of the gun?

The trick, though, is to unscrew the nut - only a few of these pop-out designs have recesses either side of the pellet probe so that the barrel assembly can be prevented from rotating at the same time.

Iain

Thank you Iain, that's a good lead. The muzzle end is serrated so could well be a nut, but no signs of any flats to hold the other end of the barrel.
    Thinking cap on.
    David

www.lomil.co.uk

If you have a look at the bottom picture of the Schmidt HS9A, with the pellet probe removed, it's the two recesses in the end of the barrel. By gripping these, the barrel unit can be prevented from rotating.

Besides the Schmidt, I think the Super Briton (but not the cheaper, tinplate Briton) has these. Maybe these pop-outs weren't usually designed to be dismantled?

Iain

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Unfortunately the Limit doesn't have the luxury of the slots found on the Super Briton (neither does the Gat or later Briton) so you have to find some other way of stopping the barrel rotating when you try to unscrew the muzzle nut. I have found the best way is to make a thin metal plate with a U-slot filed into it which can be worked in between the spring guide and the knurled muzzle nut and then pushed around the barrel. Tie some cord around the ends of the plate ( best to drill two holes in ends of the plate for this) to make a loop so that when you push the spring guide back and compress the spring you can hook the cord around the breech to hold the sprng guide back and expose about half an inch of the barrel. You can then grip the exposed barrel with pliers while you unscrew the muzzle nut. (The barrel might be burred over the nut so remove the bur with a file before you start). Just reverse the procedure to reassemble.

What a coincidence ... I recently put a strip down guide on the 'Idiots Guide .... ' sticky

Check out the last page.
    I had to make a new piston washer and the washer that the barrel goes through ...

Cheers, Phil

Now why didn't I think to look it up in the guide? There was me thinking that I had a real rarity that no one had ever stripped before.
    Ah well, that will teach me that there is nothing new in this game, and that this section will come up with the answers to even obscure questions.
    Thanks Phil, I shall now put your words to good use.
    David

www.lomil.co.uk

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Thank you Neil for the picture hosting.
    Also thanks to all who offered advice on stripping this model. Hope to get it done this weekend.
    David

www.lomil.co.uk