Thread: Bottle or Stock Mounted Bi-pod?

Question Bottle or Stock Mounted Bi-pod?

The following is a quote from the Theoben web site with regard to their new Rapid and the stock mounted bi-pod:

"We found that using a barrel or bottle mounted bi-pod can cause adverse effects with accuracy (which defeats the object of using such a device!)"

As a matter of interest, have any of you guys found any difference between a bottle/barrel mounted bi-pod and a stock mounted one in terms of accuracy. or just balance?
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

Hi

I got a mate who is an engineer to make me a bottle clamp,it basically wraps around the bottle (very thin gauge metal) & he made a lug underneath to fasten the sling & harris bi-pod to. I use it all the time when presented with a bunny I can't get close to & the first thing you notice is how stable the crosshairs can be kept.My shooting partner also got him to make one & he agrees it has made an enormous improvement on the accuracy of shots in general but more so on the longer shots.
    Downside is weight when taking shots without the bi-pod but that is something I have got used to having a 12/250.

Gran.

Not sure if I "missed" the point of the original post.......should have used the bipod ?
    Last edited by gran; 11-12-2004 at 03:26 PM.

Hi gran.

I've got a bottle adaptor fitted on my FAC Rapid Mkll that was made for me by KEEF on this BBS.
    I have found that with my Harris bi-pod fitted it improves stability as it should and has improved my grouping. However, having NEVER had the bi-pod fitted to the stock, I cant say whether or not if it is any better or worse.
    I wondered if anybody had tried both ways of mounting the bi-pod and whether they had found any difference in the accuracy as Theoben would have us believe!
    It could well be that there would be an improvement moving the bi-pod from the bottle to the stock.

It could just be a marketing ploy from Theoben!! (surely not?)

sneaky beaky Guest
    i would have though, mounting it on the bottle would bring the axis of the pod forward... making the gun more stable... i have a harris mounted as far forward as it will go on the woodwork (gun came fitted with q,d's) and its very accurate as it is...
    i will be buying a bottle clamp after crimbo, to compare...

dont see this guy's gun having problems?

<click>

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    I have a Harris mounted on my airtube.

No problem whatsoever...

Theoben should start to make quick-fill charging on their tubes instead - just as the FX Airguns.

A bipod fit so close to the triggerguard as on their newest model is not as stable as a bipod mounted closer to the muzzle..

Sneaky.. I look forward to hearing from in the future to see if there is any difference.
    (I think you will see an improvement on stability and grouping)

"A bipod fit so close to the triggerguard as on their newest model is not as stable as a bipod mounted closer to the muzzle.."

Johnny..... exactly what I thought! Thats why I never mounted my bi-pod on the stock in the first place. Even with it as far forward on the stock as it will go, I still think that it is more stable with the bi-pod mounted way up the bottle.

Take note Theoben!

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    This is what a real Rapid should look like:

http://usera.imagecave.com/Johnny/1102802038.jpg

Johnny, that's one of the best looking Rapids I've ever seen. I'm mucho jealous. I'd love to try the balance of that rifle. Presume thats a quick fill tube. Excellent.

David.

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Unfortunly its not mine..

The owner Bob Kossieck states:

Rapid Mark II in .20 caliber, David G. stock and barrel sleeve, FX Cyclone bottle and fill port, Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40 Mil-Dot. Shoots 1070 with 14.3 Cp and sub 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds.

To push a Rapid to perfection require parts from the Swedish FX Airguns, but why not make a shortcut and buy a complete FX Airguns Cyclone in the first place..?

Ah, Johnny, I would be persuaded to place some Swedish parts onto a Rapid to enhance its asthetic appeal and ease of use but it would still need to start as a Rapid and finish as a Rapid. They are still the best rifle available today.

David.

BTW I can't locate Odsmal on my atlas. Where is the nearest city.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny - Sweden
    Unfortunly its not mine..

The owner Bob Kossieck states:

Rapid Mark II in .20 caliber, David G. stock and barrel sleeve, FX Cyclone bottle and fill port, Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40 Mil-Dot. Shoots 1070 with 14.3 Cp and sub 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds.

To push a Rapid to perfection require parts from the Swedish FX Airguns, but why not make a shortcut and buy a complete FX Airguns Cyclone in the first place..?

Johnny

That is the first Rapid I've seen that didn't look so ugly I'd like to get rid of it. (I did with both of the ones I bought. Just so ugly I couldn't enjoy using them).

Was about to launch into "Don't see the FX badge Johnny" tirade, when I then saw it wasn't yours, AND it has FX bits on it...... If 1070 is 'fps' then well into FAC territory, so how many shots per fill?

Not that I'd want to own a Rapid/FX hybrid.

To be good, one must do good.

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    BTW I can't locate Odsmal on my atlas. Where is the nearest city.
    Its 55 km north of Gothenburg, just at the sea.

I live about 1/4 mile from the ferry to the island of Tjörn.

Quiet little farmerland just by the sea, a 5 minute walk to the ocean and the boat.

About 45 minutes by car to Gothenburg and then 24 hours of ferry to Newcastle.

If 1070 is 'fps' then well into FAC territory, so how many shots per fill?
    I guess around 30 shots, becouse I get around 40 shots at 30 ft/lbs from my Cyclone with the same size tube.

Now - about the Rapids, I read the Nick test in AGW about MFR FAC and he got 60 shots with this rifle with a variation of 24 fps.

The size of his tube was 280cc and that equals to 4.6 cc for one shot.

My Cyclone can give me 40 shots with the same variation from a tube that are 176 cc and that equals to 4.4 cc for one shot.

Now - tell me, what good does this regulator of Theoben make...?

BTW - the MRF only made 28 ft/lbs and that is kind o low if you consider that it have a 21.00" barrel - my Cyclone gives genuine 30 ft/lbs from a 16.00" barrel...