Thread: A couple of valuations please (Airsporter mk1? and a Mercury)

A couple of valuations please (Airsporter mk1? and a Mercury)

Hi i have a BSA Airsporter mk1? and a Mercury which i think is a mk2.

What is the difference between the mk1 and mk2 Airsporter?

The Airsporter looks like it has been sprayed black , the stock looks in pretty good condition (a few dinks but no cracks)i think it is original finish.

The Mercury has also been sprayed and the stock has been repaired (a poor repair).

They both shoot and are quit powerful,but would benefit a service.

I can't see a serial number on either of them where should i look?

Any idea of value?

I can email pics

Any input would be great

Thankyou in advance

Rob

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Rob.......The mark one and two Airsporters are very different and easy to tell apart....they also made a limited number of "cross - over" guns with some parts from each but basically;

MK1.....Heavy tapered barrel..one piece forging including tap area, rear sight is solid block of steel with adjusting wheel and insert like a Webley Mk3, or prewar BSA. no scope grooves.

MK2....Straight barrel, fitted into "scalloped" recess in loading tap area, rear sight is flip up type that folds flat, air cylinder has cut outs for scope (see HWVixen's post for pics)

The cross over guns had a mk1 barrel, but a mk2 cylinder, so IMHO, the best of both worlds!.

Value........pics would be the best way to determine this.

Serial number......very small, and if trigger guard/block has been painted is often obscured ......look at the area in front of the trigger guard around the pivot point underneath

Thanks edbear
    The airsporter is a mk1 (good description by the way)
    Looks like the paint stripper is comming out to find the serial numbers

I've emailed you some pictures

Just found the serial for the airsporter its: GB 9700

Thanks mate
    Rob
    Last edited by robmc; 03-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.

GB? 1956-1958. nice buy for someone.

edbear2 Guest
    HI Rob,

Hard to tell from the pics (56kb camera phone?) as I can't enlarge them, but the stock on the Airsporter looks good as you say, and the sights are all there, so I would say it must be worth £80-£100 even if painted as the sights and stock would go for a fair price on their own.

The Mercury I am not sure about.....I tend to collect / shoot much older stuff, so am not really up on these.

If you could use/borrow a digi camera and email me some bigger files (2-5 meg), I could put them up on flikr for you, and that way hopefully you will get more answers.

ATB, Eddie

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Airsporters

[QUOTE=edbear2;4568393]Hi Rob......Mk II-- straight barrel, fitted into "scalloped" recess in loading tap area, rear sight is flip up type that folds flat, air cylinder has cut outs for scope (see HWVixen's post for pics)

The cross over guns had a mk1 barrel, but a mk2 cylinder, so IMHO, the best of both worlds!.

Some "crossover" Mk II`s have no `scope rails. Did not scope rails come in when the lettering was changed from the traditional form to the stylised "arrow" motif and Airsporter logo as on hw vixen`s example? The early numbers of the GC series show the transition from Mk I to Mk II, but these early Mk II`s are a bit different to the final version.
    Laudator temporis acti

edbear2 Guest
    Pictures here

Thanks Rob!

Thanks Mate