Thread: Unidentified rifle.

Unidentified rifle.

Can anyone identify this rifle, described in a foreign leaflet as "Martini Resembled". Country of manufacture is unknown.

From the loop behind the trigger guard and it being described as "Martini Resembled" I assume it is lever operated and falling block.

I think also that the action is set into the stock, as the butt and fore-end appear to be one piece, not two like on a Martini-Henry.

Any help greatly appreciated.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...mbledrifle.jpg
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

John Walter's Rifles of the World mentions (briefly) F.W. Kessler & Co. of Suhl as making "an unusually narrow action set in a one piece stock."

However he reproduces a drawing of one from a 1911 A.l. Frank catalogue, and not only is it a target-style rifle - half stock, aperture rearsight, set trigger and elaborately spurred trigger guard/lever - but the distinctive curved top of a recognisably Martini breech is visible protruding above the stock, which that example doesn't seem to have.

Iain

Still trying to identify this rifle.
    Anyone able to enquire amongst the HBSA (or MLAGB) please.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?