Thread: Steyr AUG Z 5.56/.223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Quite so, but... the AUG ZSP's barrel comes threaded, so I think the OP just needs to know what thread to ask for for his moderator.

By the way, I've just acquired Peter Sarony's new Easy-Cam for the AUG. As well as making light work of primary extraction (not a huge problem on the AUG with normal loads, but it's still good to get the cycle off to a quick start), it gives you a much bigger handle that's located well clear of the optics rail, and incorporates a bolt-hold-open button. Once you've read the instructions, installation is an easy 10-15 minute job (if you ever had to do it a second time it would barely take 5 minutes) and requires only a parallel punch to remove the original cocking grip, a couple of Allen keys, and a bit of PTFE dry lube. It's £149.50, but compared to the cost of getting a 'smith to do you an extended charging handle, the potential difficulty in finding someone prepared to do the work, and the wait involved once they have taken it on, simply being able to ring up Armalon, have the thing arrive a day or so later, and fit it in minutes -not to mention the extra efficiency of the device itself- it doesn't seem that steep.
    or for £33 and some change you can get a Raptor charging handle from Manticore Arms, no bolt hold open button, but there is a bolt hold open detent in the action anyway
    PS the rifle works well out to 600 yards, although the trigger requires some "determination" to use
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    or for £33 and some change you can get a Raptor charging handle from Manticore Arms, no bolt hold open button, but there is a bolt hold open detent in the action anyway
    PS the rifle works well out to 600 yards, although the trigger requires some "determination" to use
    The Raptor wasn't available for a while - are they now shipping internationally again? Also, it's designed to fit over the A2 handle, which is different from the A1 design (fitted to all the AUG ZSPs I've seen) and requires some modification to fit the latter. If you can get one and get it to fit then it's definitely a cheaper way to get a bigger handle on your AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Or you can do like I did and make your own for around £1.10 from a Zytel knob from RS which is better than all of them inc Mr Saronys (and yes I have played with it)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    Or you can do like I did and make your own for around £1.10 from a Zytel knob from RS which is better than all of them inc Mr Sarony's (and yes I have played with it)
    £1.10 is hard to beat. Do you have a photo for us? Of the Zytel thing, not of you playing with Mr. S's...erm...device

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    £1.10 is hard to beat. Do you have a photo for us? Of the Zytel thing, not of you playing with Mr. S's...erm...device

http://i39.tinypic.com/5oxnyf.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/ff4vbp.jpg

It's at the correct angle, locks back and is cheap and simple to do

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    http://i39.tinypic.com/5oxnyf.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/ff4vbp.jpg

It's at the correct angle, locks back and is cheap and simple to do
    I think we have a winner!

Thanks for the photos.

A couple of questions... what did you secure the knob with? and what's the RS part number?