Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr AUG Z 5.56/.223

Quote Originally Posted by benelli View Post
    I contacted the guy who designed,makes and sells the neu trigger and will not post out of the usa.
    The ones on gunbroker are his so you cannot get those either??
    Ah, I hadn't ordered one yet. It doesn't surprise me. If you are active of forums like The High Road or AR15.com, some of the members there will forward things to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Wow, that looks useful! And they don't object to parts, optics and so fourth?

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    Ah, I hadn't ordered one yet. It doesn't surprise me. If you are active of forums like The High Road or AR15.com, some of the members there will forward things to you.

Wow, that looks useful! And they don't object to parts, optics and so fourth?
    I haven't ordered Optics from them only general parts, target iron sights, spring sets, reloading gear, stock pieces, shirts & jeans.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I have sourced some used 30 round Aug mags if anybody is intetested,and am waiting to see if 9 and 42 are available.
    Price of the 30's are 50 quid for 2 plus postage,pm me if intetested.

Roodles is offline Stellen sie Fragen über Fragen
    Nice write up, Korium.

You've got me wanting one now

Thanks.

I am holding out to write a second one. Developed one load, but didn't experiment much since. Bit busy with .308 Win loads at the moments, but I hope to have better info for this in March. 77gn Scenar are what I'm trying now, but 73gn should be better.

Still not tried it beyond 300 yards, but it looks very promising.
    It is a pity the local ranges at Bulford seem to stop at 300 yards, as they all tend to have far less wind than Century.

Hi Guys,

I have used the Steyr Aug A1 and would like to see some pictures of these civilian versions,

Regards

deeks

Quote Originally Posted by deeksofdoom View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have used the Steyr Aug A1 and would like to see some pictures of these civilian versions,

Regards

deeks
    Hi, here is one. Sorry about the mess, it was taken shortly after moving house.
    Not a lot of difference between it and the A1, however, these are A2 spec and lack a flash-hider. If the picture was of the opposite side, you would also be able to see the lack of some gas-parts, (I forget the exact term for the external visible part).

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    What scope would you recommend for the AUG?

I shoot at an MOD range and up to 600 yards is possible, commonly 200 and 300 on offer though.
    Ideally something that has about 6x or higher available. I had 10x and did well with that, but I'm still waiting on something higher magnification for more precise load testing and distance shooting.

It has a SUSAT sight on at the moment which is noticeably worse for consistency due to the reticle, but it is quite good fun to look into and use. Needed a special base to fit which a very helpful chap had produced for his own AUG, then made a few others up for sale; I don't know what availability will be like on those in the future, but the quality is great.

I've been thinking about it and to be honest, a lot of these combat sights are not worth it for most target usage, unless you want it for CSR or something like that. They aren't self-loading and we don't have very cheap ammunition, neither do the ranges I use in the SW cater to rapid-fire blasting at stuff within 100 yards.

Everything tends to revolve around one shot, target down and marked, target up, repeat, etc. If there was more ETR stuff and reactive targets or stuff like that, they would be more useful.

You might have access to that sort of thing, so look at the ACOG, ELCAN, SUSAT or maybe even magnified Eotech. The Americans love all of them and don't often seem to opt for anything else, but they do different things, generally, to us. The original carry handle sight is also decent, but super expensive; Sportsman can order you one direct from Steyr.

I think Nightforce probably offer the best range of features for using a rifle like this on a range, but there are so many options, you could probably find something suitable from the vast majority of brands, right down to cheaper makes like MTC, Hawke or Falcon.

It is accurate enough to justify a good quality scope.

Thanks for posting the pic!

STEYR AUG-Z Thread Size

Hi,

I am after putting a moderator on my AUG-Z, can some kind soul let me know what the thread is on these.

Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sfurby View Post
    hi,

i am after putting a moderator on my aug-z, can some kind soul let me know what the thread is on these.

Thanks steve
    1/2" unf

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    1/2" unf
    Can anyone confirm someone else has said 1/2 x 20 unf, which one is correct

Quote Originally Posted by sfurby View Post
    Can anyone confirm someone else has said 1/2 x 20 unf, which one is correct
    It's the same thread, 1/2" UNF is 1/2" x 20.
    All you need to know is its 1/2" UNF and that's all you need to tell your barrel threader.
    If you tell him 1/2" x 20 he'll probably go and cut your threads with a ISO threading tool at 60 deg.
    Aa proper UNF thread is 55 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    It's the same thread, 1/2" UNF is 1/2" x 20. All you need to know is its 1/2" UNF and that's all you need to tell your barrel-threader. If you tell him 1/2" x 20 he'll probably go and cut your threads with a ISO threading tool at 60 deg. A proper UNF thread is 55 deg.
    Quite so, but... the AUG ZSP's barrel comes threaded, so I think the OP just needs to know what thread to ask for for his moderator.

By the way, I've just acquired Peter Sarony's new Easy-Cam for the AUG. As well as making light work of primary extraction (not a huge problem on the AUG with normal loads, but it's still good to get the cycle off to a quick start), it gives you a much bigger handle that's located well clear of the optics rail, and incorporates a bolt-hold-open button. Once you've read the instructions, installation is an easy 10-15 minute job (if you ever had to do it a second time it would barely take 5 minutes) and requires only a parallel punch to remove the original cocking grip, a couple of Allen keys, and a bit of PTFE dry lube. It's £149.50, but compared to the cost of getting a 'smith to do you an extended charging handle, the potential difficulty in finding someone prepared to do the work, and the wait involved once they have taken it on, simply being able to ring up Armalon, have the thing arrive a day or so later, and fit it in minutes -not to mention the extra efficiency of the device itself- it doesn't seem that steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Quite so, but... the AUG ZSP's barrel comes threaded, so I think the OP just needs to know what thread to ask for for his moderator.

By the way, I've just acquired Peter Sarony's new Easy-Cam for the AUG. As well as making light work of primary extraction (not a huge problem on the AUG with normal loads, but it's still good to get the cycle off to a quick start), it gives you a much bigger handle that's located well clear of the optics rail, and incorporates a bolt-hold-open button. Once you've read the instructions, installation is an easy 10-15 minute job (if you ever had to do it a second time it would barely take 5 minutes) and requires only a parallel punch to remove the original cocking grip, a couple of Allen keys, and a bit of PTFE dry lube. It's £149.50, but compared to the cost of getting a 'smith to do you an extended charging handle, the potential difficulty in finding someone prepared to do the work, and the wait involved once they have taken it on, simply being able to ring up Armalon, have the thing arrive a day or so later, and fit it in minutes -not to mention the extra efficiency of the device itself- it doesn't seem that steep.
    or for £33 and some change you can get a Raptor charging handle from Manticore Arms, no bolt hold open button, but there is a bolt hold open detent in the action anyway
    PS the rifle works well out to 600 yards, although the trigger requires some "determination" to use
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    or for £33 and some change you can get a Raptor charging handle from Manticore Arms, no bolt hold open button, but there is a bolt hold open detent in the action anyway
    PS the rifle works well out to 600 yards, although the trigger requires some "determination" to use
    The Raptor wasn't available for a while - are they now shipping internationally again? Also, it's designed to fit over the A2 handle, which is different from the A1 design (fitted to all the AUG ZSPs I've seen) and requires some modification to fit the latter. If you can get one and get it to fit then it's definitely a cheaper way to get a bigger handle on your AUG.