Thread: Whaley Crosman Info please!

Whaley Crosman Info please!

I know everyone says the Whaley Crosman from the 80s was all hype and the reality was poor build quality and terrible accuracy - but I think they look great! So I was thinking of building one up myself. The only problem is the extended pump tube that ran the length of the barrel. Does anyone know whether the pump tube was custom made, or a stock Crosman part from another gun?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by crosmanman View Post
    I know everyone says the Whaley Crosman from the 80s was all hype and the reality was poor build quality and terrible accuracy - but I think they look great! So I was thinking of building one up myself. The only problem is the extended pump tube that ran the length of the barrel. Does anyone know whether the pump tube was custom made, or a stock Crosman part from another gun?

Hi Crosmanman

I read somewhere (probably the yellow forum) that the pump tube was from a Crosman 140 as was the pump arm and linkage, which would make sense.

The tube size is 3/4" OD with a 5/8" ID and is available as a seemless Hydraulic tubing size. I bought a 3 metre length (min order) of this in 316 stainless to make a Crosman 140 pump tube but never did make one.
    A very kind member on here gave me a Crosman 140 tube before I got round to making it.
    I did make a Crosman 1322 pump tube out of it though (bling).

I bought some 3/4" OD mild steel hydraulic tube in for a job the other day and the ID turned out to be 1/2".
    So if you want to make your own pump tube make sure you specify OD and ID when you order.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Crosmanman

I read somewhere (probably the yellow forum) that the pump tube was from a Crosman 140 as was the pump arm and linkage, which would make sense.

The tube size is 3/4" OD with a 5/8" ID and is available as a seemless Hydraulic tubing size. I bought a 3 metre length (min order) of this in 316 stainless to make a Crosman 140 pump tube but never did make one.
    A very kind member on here gave me a Crosman 140 tube before I got round to making it.
    I did make a Crosman 1322 pump tube out of it though (bling).

I bought some 3/4" OD mild steel hydraulic tube in for a job the other day and the ID turned out to be 1/2".
    So if you want to make your own pump tube make sure you specify OD and ID when you order.

All the best Mick
    Hi Mick, Many years ago, I had a Whaley crossman, & I have in front of me a 140 tube , It looks far too long ( If my memory serves ) Bearing in mind the Whaley went into a aluminium receiver at the front,
    Also , It be cut down, ?

Did you ever get that Innova with the Stainless pump tube up & running ?
    Cheers, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hi Mick, Many years ago, I had a Whaley crossman, & I have in front of me a 140 tube , It looks far too long ( If my memory serves ) Bearing in mind the Whaley went into a aluminium receiver at the front,
    Also , It be cut down, ?

Did you ever get that Innova with the Stainless pump tube up & running ?
    Cheers, Ged.

Hi Ged

The pump tube from a 140 can be cut down, but you have to shorten it by cutting the front end down and redrilling for the pivot pin. You also need to lengthen the cutout for the pump linkage backwards as well so shortening the working length of the pump.

The only link I can find to this is from Tim McMurray (Mac1 Airguns) on the Crosman Forum
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/27568...761XL+Super%21

It wasn't an Innova I was making in stainless Ged, it was a Setra, but I never did get round to finishing it.
    There's always something else to do.

All the best Mick

Hi Ged

The pump tube from a 140 can be cut down, but you have to shorten it by cutting the front end down and redrilling for the pivot pin. You also need to lengthen the cutout for the pump linkage backwards as well so shortening the working length of the pump.

The only link I can find to this is from Tim McMurray (Mac1 Airguns) on the Crosman Forum
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/27568...761XL+Super%21

It wasn't an Innova I was making in stainless Ged, it was a Setra, but I never did get round to finishing it.
    There's always something else to do.

All the best Mick
    Hiya mick Of course it can be cut down, !
    What I meant was that the rear of the tube will fit in the 760 housing, But fit the trigger, ! ( Its different )

Here is a 140 tube, There is no reason the front section cannot be used, But the rear will have to be, Cut & Milled & Drilled to fit the 760 trigger !
    Cheers, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    There is no reason the front section cannot be used, But the rear will have to be, Cut & Milled & Drilled to fit the 760 trigger !
    Cheers, Ged.
    Hi Ged

That seems to be exactly what was done according to Tim McMurray's post on the green Forum.

"I still have a 1400 tube with the valve stop cut and shaped to make another."

I think it's more trouble than it's worth using a 760/761 as the base, but using a 140 tube fitted with a 1377 valve, hammer, trigger assembly and shoulder stock makes a lot more sense.

No machining needed just bolt together and go.

All the best Mick

What sacrilege to refer to it merely as the Whaley Crosman, Whaley Crosman 761 XL Super if you please. I bought one new in 1978/9? with the rosewood butt and forearm. To think I part exchanged a HW35 Lux. Yes it was poorly made and pumping it a pain - 12/14 pumps gave two unuseable shots instead of just one good .
    It actally wasn`t inaccurate from what I recall and really rather nice handling and easy to carry, just flawed in mechanical terms. I actually used mine in the very first AGW organized FT shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by yansica1 View Post
    What sacrilege to refer to it merely as the Whaley Crosman, Whaley Crosman 761 XL Super if you please.
    I actually used mine in the very first AGW organized FT shoot.
    In this one?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...s+of+FT+-+PICS

Or the next one which was called Field Target ?

All the best Mick

In this one?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...s+of+FT+-+PICS

Or the next one which was called Field Target ?

All the best Mick
    Yes that one, I recall Rex winning, then FT and tuning took off but I was always more interested in hunting.

Couldn`t tell you who but one guy had the targets swaying back with the force of the strike , god knows what ft lbs his gun was doing!

I shot several of these Whaley Crosmann 760s, I knew Adam and co and they used to come down here shooting with me, Rod Lynton usually came along too

The accuracy problem, was the amount of movement in the barrel A good one would "group" around an inch to inch and a half at 30yds, by then the FWB Sports would do much better than that so a recoiless model should have been shooting a ragged hole

I remember the letters of complaint regarding the accuracy, many bought one after the mag review showing one hole groups at 30yds, Rod admitted he shot the groups in the review from a range of half inch
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I remember the letters of complaint regarding the accuracy, many bought one after the mag review showing one hole groups at 30yds, Rod admitted he shot the groups in the review from a range of half inch
    That's bleedin' outrageous!

I shall burn my old copies of AGW forthwith.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for the info guys; I've heard the story about Rod shooting the groups at very short range too! Then again, I also remember him writing about shooting pigeons with a 1377 Crosman pistol at 40 yards...!

I've heard the story about Rod shooting the groups at very short range too!

I also remember him writing about shooting pigeons with a 1377 Crosman pistol at 40 yards...!
    Hi Crosmanman

I used to think the Crosman 1377 singlepoint Pigeon head shot story was a bit far fetched until I tried some targets at 40 yards.

All the best Mick