Thread: Confused nubie seeks truth! (r.e SMK rifles)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Confused nubie seeks truth! (r.e SMK rifles)

Hello all.
    I have been shooting with air guns on and off (mainly off) for 10 years or so, but only wit ha cheap SMK 19 springer, (it has served me well on the rabbit, pigeon and squirrell front)...
    I now want a cheap gas gun as next year I will buy a "proper"/more expensive gun, but really like the look (and professional reviews) of teh TH78D (£130 new)! HOWEVER, the adverts from SMK ellude to 10 ft/lbs power, a gun mart review states "full power at 11ft/lbs" and alot of people on forums seem to record 8-9 out of the box... Can anyone HELP?!?

Gas Guns

Hi Adammch

The thing with co2 guns is that their performance will vary a lot according to the air temp. I once had a Umarex 850 air magnum that was right up to the legal limit on a hot day but when out and about in the winter it was chrono'd at less than 7.5 ft lbs (3degC outside). Personally I would be very careful about going hunting with a gas gun in the winter. You will certainly have to re-zero your rifle everytime you use it to allow for the change in ambient temp.

Regards

Gunshopboy

Thanks for that, I must admitt that's my biggest worry, I've seen people talk about tunign them up, would that eliminate/reduce the problem or make it worse?
    I want it for what will be (eventually) a second gun, maybe one to tune...
    Thinking of buying a webley raider 10 (or maybe a second hand gun) and forgetting all about the co2 although the TH78D is a nice looking gun and would be a good project!

Thanks again...

Adam

GunShopBoy,
    Would I be right in thinking you work in/have a gun shop near Ashby..?
    Not too far away from me when I decide which way to go so will give you a shout if that's ok/relevant?

78's are great little guns but unfettled / tuned and using in the winter is not the best option for winter hunting . I do however believe they are up to the job if properly tuned and that co2 is understood , that way you know exactly what kind of powered shot you are getting per co2 capsule .#

hope that helps

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

hi and welcome