Thread: Confused nubie seeks truth! (r.e SMK rifles)

Confused nubie seeks truth! (r.e SMK rifles)

Hello all.
    I have been shooting with air guns on and off (mainly off) for 10 years or so, but only wit ha cheap SMK 19 springer, (it has served me well on the rabbit, pigeon and squirrell front)...
    I now want a cheap gas gun as next year I will buy a "proper"/more expensive gun, but really like the look (and professional reviews) of teh TH78D (£130 new)! HOWEVER, the adverts from SMK ellude to 10 ft/lbs power, a gun mart review states "full power at 11ft/lbs" and alot of people on forums seem to record 8-9 out of the box... Can anyone HELP?!?

Gas Guns

Hi Adammch

The thing with co2 guns is that their performance will vary a lot according to the air temp. I once had a Umarex 850 air magnum that was right up to the legal limit on a hot day but when out and about in the winter it was chrono'd at less than 7.5 ft lbs (3degC outside). Personally I would be very careful about going hunting with a gas gun in the winter. You will certainly have to re-zero your rifle everytime you use it to allow for the change in ambient temp.

Regards

Gunshopboy

Thanks for that, I must admitt that's my biggest worry, I've seen people talk about tunign them up, would that eliminate/reduce the problem or make it worse?
    I want it for what will be (eventually) a second gun, maybe one to tune...
    Thinking of buying a webley raider 10 (or maybe a second hand gun) and forgetting all about the co2 although the TH78D is a nice looking gun and would be a good project!

Thanks again...

Adam

GunShopBoy,
    Would I be right in thinking you work in/have a gun shop near Ashby..?
    Not too far away from me when I decide which way to go so will give you a shout if that's ok/relevant?

78's are great little guns but unfettled / tuned and using in the winter is not the best option for winter hunting . I do however believe they are up to the job if properly tuned and that co2 is understood , that way you know exactly what kind of powered shot you are getting per co2 capsule .#

hope that helps

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

hi and welcome

Thanks for that, I am certainly looking to have it tuned if I buy one!
    Thanks to Robin for the welcome too!

Maybe I should do some kind of case study to help others if I do buy it. So much contradictory information out there and as we are ever in persuit of the perfect, humane, clean kill I feel this is an important point.

Quote Originally Posted by adammch View Post
    Thanks for that, I am certainly looking to have it tuned if I buy one!
    Thanks to Robin for the welcome too!

Maybe I should do some kind of case study to help others if I do buy it. So much contradictory information out there and as we are ever in persuit of the perfect, humane, clean kill I feel this is an important point.
    I think that would be a great idea , buy a new one , put loads of pellets through it , maybe clean the barrel and re-lead it then do a comprehensive test on paper with an array of pellets . Then do a comprehensive test in the field !

After that get it tuned and test again , a lot of work but it would be a good idea IMO .

Trust me the biggest issue with these guns and co2 in general is understanding co2 and how it affects power and poi .

hth

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Sounds good KingPlinker!
    I will unless my wife gets me that raider 10 (I've pinned the picture of above her side of the bed) for Xmas!

Thanks guys, any "war stories" welcome!

Adam

Can somebody tell me what advantages if any there are with CO2 over compressed air? If finance is an issue-as it usually is-my advice would be to get a decent springer and learn how to shoot it properly. If you really want a compressed gas source air rifle then a second hand Air Arms S200 ticks most of the boxes-in fact all except the need to buy a supply of air i.e. cylinder.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Hi,
    personally for me it's curiosity and trying something new,
    I have been "springing" for 10 years and have owned Weirach guns, cheap ones and BSA...
    I want PCP for Jan next year unless wifey comes up trumps for Xmas (above) but the Co2 TH78D just interests me as its different, cheap and tunable (a bit like a car) and I like to tinker with things! If I break it, it's only £130 lost!
    I know of no advantages apart from cost and maybe ease of refill in the field! Saying that PCP will normally hold more per charge than Co2.. Balenced eh?

Adam
    Adam
    SMK XS19 HAWKE 3x9x40
    Looking for first PCP

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Can somebody tell me what advantages if any there are with CO2 over compressed air? If finance is an issue-as it usually is-my advice would be to get a decent springer and learn how to shoot it properly. If you really want a compressed gas source air rifle then a second hand Air Arms S200 ticks most of the boxes-in fact all except the need to buy a supply of air i.e. cylinder.
    Just wait til the co2 Rapid hits our shores

Quote Originally Posted by adammch View Post
    Hi,
    personally for me it's curiosity and trying something new,
    I have been "springing" for 10 years and have owned Weirach guns, cheap ones and BSA...
    I want PCP for Jan next year unless wifey comes up trumps for Xmas (above) but the Co2 TH78D just interests me as its different, cheap and tunable (a bit like a car) and I like to tinker with things! If I break it, it's only £130 lost!
    I know of no advantages apart from cost and maybe ease of refill in the field! Saying that PCP will normally hold more per charge than Co2.. Balenced eh?

Adam
    I think Adam is right , curiosity and that fact that they actually can do a very good job , are lightweight and affordable in fact I would imagine even Tesco will be doing a 2 for 1 deal soon ! lol

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
    Just wait til the co2 Rapid hits our shores

It won't so don't get excited.

I think Adam is right , curiosity and that fact that they actually can do a very good job , are lightweight and affordable in fact I would imagine even Tesco will be doing a 2 for 1 deal soon ! lol

Dave
    The rifle itself might be affordable but isn't the cost per shot quite high when the CO2 bulbs are included?

Adam you give a very good explanation of why the CO2 rifle appeals and then you say you are going to get a pcp. Why not just cut out the middle man and go straight to a pcp which is a better system altogether. As for it being 'only £130' bear in mind you can buy a pretty good scope for that money.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Hi Adam et al

There are lots of good ideas and opinions expressed here and it is interesting to hear different peoples take on the subject. I will never sell my ratcatcher and ratbuster as I have a lot of fun with them but you cannot get around the temp problem without heating the co2. I looked at all sorts of ways from stuffing handwarmers inside the forend on the umarex to checking out how the car guys heat their nitrous oxide. I ended up going for a decent pcp and have not looked back since. I do, however, still use springers and firearms too. hope this is of some help? If you do decide to tune I look forward to reading about it!
    Last edited by gunshopboy; 18-10-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Interesting gunshopboy, very inventive!
    Thanks to all guys, I might try and revive that BSA Meteor Mk1 I mentioned instead...
    More time for field work with the other gun/s that way!

Thanks again!

Adam
    Adam
    SMK XS19 HAWKE 3x9x40
    Looking for first PCP