Thread: Anyone familiar with the Baikal IZH 61?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Anyone familiar with the Baikal IZH 61?

It's supposed to be a quiet rifle and is not expensive. I figured it might be a good choice for our 6 yard comps with open sights, or 10 meters with optical.

(?)

Yes, I know this is the Air Pistols section.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Nobody have one?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Never seen one of these before, looks like a unique design. The five shot mag sounds good is this connected to the side lever? Also is the piston located in the telescopic stock. If so I bet the balance is good but what is it like to fire.
    As this is the pistol section seems fair to bring up the Baikal MP612. This also has a rear mounted power plant, is a repeater and is a very unique design. Unfortunetly I have onle seen this in the prototype section of spring air pistols by John Griffiths.

Fired one a couple of months ago. Very easy to cock with the side lever, so ideal for juniors as an entry weapon. Surprisingly accurate over 10 yards. Not much of a groove if you were thinking of a scope, but no problems with open sights. Make sure the mag doesn't ping off into the undergrowth when you set to re-load.
    It may be weird looking but feels fine and fun to shoot.

Pyramyd Air is always pushing them: usually touting the quietness. They do sometimes offer them with a scope, as a kit/combo.

The price is good. Unless I hear some horror stories, I think I'm going to get one.

Jim

izh 61

cracking little rifle, used to have one.
    anyone know where i can get them now in the uk ?

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Couldn't find them in the UK for love nor.

My old Scout Troop had a couple - perfect for youngsters, decent trigger, sometimes didn't index the mag correctly - but that was usually down to the shooter trying to be too quick.

Great for the price!
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

For one in the UK, contact Will at Woodfield http://www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk
    Will has a Baikal dealership and is a very helpfull guy. I got my Sig Sauer P226 from him.

I didn't hear anything negative, so I'll add it to my "plan to get one list".

Only wish that list weren't so big, and my purse so small.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by robbie_b View Post
    For one in the UK, contact Will at Woodfield http://www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk
    Will has a Baikal dealership and is a very helpfull guy. I got my Sig Sauer P226 from him.
    Yep, they have 'em, for L96.

I'll bet your keyboard has one of those pound-L's where mine has a $.

Jim

I've got one and like it a lot. It's got good safety features (rachet cocking, anti-beartrap, and a breech/magazine design that makes trapping fingers very difficult). The adjustable stock is a nice touch too. It was very good value for money with the trigger and barrel being very good for a gun that cheap.

Downsides... They really need to be stripped down, cleaned and relubed when new. When new they're useable, but a bit rough to cock, and not that pleasant to shoot, twangy, being covered, inside and out, in thin, brown oil. They really benefit a lot from a clean and relube with moly grease, moly paste etc. The other downside is that mounting a scope can be a bit of a hassle due to the rails, which don't go the full length of the breech, but a decent two-piece mount should help, I've always meant to experiment with a reach-forward mount or something to improve the eye-relief but never got round to it.

I really like these, this one will get a lot of use when my kids get a little bigger!

The commnets about scopes on these rascals concern me.

I can either buy every airgun I take a fancy to - no, really I can't, because I can't afford to - or buy specifically what I need for the UBC comps.

I already have a great Police Service pistol (my Smith 686), and a good spare (Jan's Crosman Python), and a not so good spare - not so good because of its lack of a spare cylinder capability and slow reload (Russ' R-77): a Vintage rifle (Red Ryder), an Open rifle (Baikal MP 512), and a Police Pocket pistol (Walther PPK).

I really need a second Vintage rifle (the Daisy's a smoothbore, and won't last forever), a scoped rifle for the appropriate 10 meter and Police events, and a fast-firing C02 for Police Assault rifle.

Anything else is want, not need, and my biggest need now is something that works well with a scope on it.

Jim

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    The commnets about scopes on these rascals concern me.

I can either buy every airgun I take a fancy to - no, really I can't, because I can't afford to - or buy specifically what I need for the UBC comps.

I already have a great Police Service pistol (my Smith 686), and a good spare (Jan's Crosman Python), and a not so good spare - not so good because of its lack of a spare cylinder capability and slow reload (Russ' R-77): a Vintage rifle (Red Ryder), an Open rifle (Baikal MP 512), and a Police Pocket pistol (Walther PPK).

I really need a second Vintage rifle (the Daisy's a smoothbore, and won't last forever), a scoped rifle for the appropriate 10 meter and Police events, and a fast-firing C02 for Police Assault rifle. Anything else is want, not need, and my biggest need now is something that works well with a scope on it.

Jim
    What you really need is one of these

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?reviewID=234

You really, really need one
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I doubt it, Paul.

I've been thinking more along the lines of a Crosman 1077 in that role.

Jim