Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
Not really. Worst case scenario, you have to cock the hammer or pop the safety, if it's cocked and locked (S/A 1911 and Browning HP are very popular). A lot of modern self loaders are D/A anyway, so one simply pulls the trigger with a round chambered.

There are a few concerns about leaving them cocked 24/7, but it can't be too much of an issue, otherwise few people would opt for one. Revolvers are also not something that's very easy to sort out if they develop a fault during firing, unlike a self loader (generally).

One other good reason to use a pistol is they are easy to fit a torch/flash light to.

Depends a lot on quality. I doubt you would have many issues with Sig, H&K or Beretta; they all do D/A pistols and a few can probably have stress triggers fitted, so it would be unlikely to ND.

I don't like S/A pistols much for safety. A lot of people do manage to carry them cocked without incident, but D/A is definitely an improvement on them.

More modern self loaders are relatively safe, and a lot have a de-cocker to prevent the hammer slipping when manually dropped.
The point of a home deffence gun is that its left in your house loaded for when you need it dpesnt nedsiseraly need to be cocked as that only takes a fraction of a second to do. The thing is the guns goint to be sat there untill its needed or is taken out to clean. Ive never shot q real pistol but common sence and gcse physics tell me that if the spring in the mag has been depressed for a long period of time its not going to function properly. And i would imagin a lot of stopages are caused by the mag not doing what it should be.
so unless i had time to have a few spare mags and rotate the full one around on a regular basis id just go for a revolver.

Ill edit all the typos later, on my phone at the mo wnd the touch screen must be disigned for daintyer people