Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 'Best' CO2 multishot?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I'm glad you Colt boys got over your coughs.

What did you take for it? A Smith and Wesson?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I'm glad you Colt boys got over your coughs.

What did you take for it? A Smith and Wesson?

Jim
    if i lived in the states that be the first gun id buy.
    cant see a semi auto being any good for home defence.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    if i lived in the states that be the first gun id buy.
    cant see a semi auto being any good for home defence.
    Emphatically agreed!

I don't like semiautos. I admit that is a prejudice on my part, but all prejudices are not without foundation, and my prejudice against autoloaders is based on many, many first hand instances of seeing them jam in the hands of others, and having them jam in my own.

Smith, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, all do or used to make top or good quality revolvers. A good .22, .32, .38. or .357 revolver, depending on the intended use. will take care of any situation a civilian will encounter: certain target shooting events excepted.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Emphatically agreed!

I don't like semiautos. I admit that is a prejudice on my part, but all prejudices are not without foundation, and my prejudice against autoloaders is based on many, many first hand instances of seeing them jam in the hands of others, and having them jam in my own.

Smith, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, all do or used to make top or good quality revolvers. A good .22, .32, .38. or .357 revolver, depending on the intended use. will take care of any situation a civilian will encounter: certain target shooting events excepted.

Jim
    Have you ever tried a Glock? They must be the most boring looking pistol in the world, IMO, but when I read the tests they had to go through to be accepted by the Austrian military as a service pistol I was amazed

Check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistol

For me the most iconic design has to be the Colt 1911, for a design to have endured so long it was a classic at birth.

I have to agree with you though that if I had to possess something for personal protection it would a small revolver, ultra reliable when you most need it.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Just bought a Superhawk 8" nickel,just a tad powerful
    Catches you out at first, doesn't it
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Were I to live somewhere where it was possible to hold full bore pistols I'd go for a 1911A1, an SV 1911 with double stack mag, possibly a Browning 9mm and a short revolver backup
    I'm a big fan of capacity
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Id choose a semi auto for everyday use where mags wouldnt be filled for long periods of time, but for home defence you need something thats ready to go in an instant and that can only be revolver
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The Umarex 'autos' that fire pellets are of course revolvers really!
    Yep! But the Umarex PPK BB pistol is a true semiautomatic.

Jim

Yep! But the Umarex PPK BB pistol is a true semiautomatic.

Jim
    So is my Steyr but it hits everything I aim at

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Have you ever tried a Glock? They must be the most boring looking pistol in the world, IMO, but when I read the tests they had to go through to be accepted by the Austrian military as a service pistol I was amazed

Check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistol

For me the most iconic design has to be the Colt 1911, for a design to have endured so long it was a classic at birth.

I have to agree with you though that if I had to possess something for personal protection it would a small revolver, ultra reliable when you most need it.
    I've never owned or fired a Glock, Pad.

Over the years, I've owned: a Colt Government Model .45: a Colt .380 Pony:
    a High Standard Military Citation .22: a Keltec 9mm: and a Keltec .380.

The Citation jammed about 1 round per magazine. The Pony jammed about 50% of the time. The Keltec 9 functioned flawlessly with full metal jackets, but sometimes jammed with hollow points. The Keltec .380 jammed occasionally with either FMJ or hollowpoints.

The only one that never jammed - though I have to add that I never fired anything in it but FMJ - was the .45 Colt.

I used to keep it in my bedroom dresser for protection.

One day at the range it went off - while I was pointing it downrange at the target, but do not consciously remember pulling the trigger, though obviously I did: the pistol wasn't "possessed". And, I'd never had any sort of trigger work done on it to tighten or lighten the pull.

But that's a second thing that caused me to shy away from auto pistols: not only do they frequently malfunction, but it takes only a very little trigger pressure to make that cocked and loaded gun go off!

There's a saying that to have an accident with a revolver, you have to be either very careless, or very stupid: but to have an accident with an autoloader,you have to be only a little careless, or a little stupid.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    So is my Steyr but it hits everything I aim at
    My PPK hits close to most of what I aim at, but hits about 3 inches higher than where I'm aiming.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    Id choose a semi auto for everyday use where mags wouldnt be filled for long periods of time, but for home defence you need something thats ready to go in an instant and that can only be revolver
    The mags tend to stay filled unless you shoot them empty or cycle them out through the pistol. So you have to either get to a rural area or a range quite often, or work this tricky and dangerous operation quite often.

Revolvers can be loaded and unloaded very easily.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Were I to live somewhere where it was possible to hold full bore pistols I'd go for a 1911A1, an SV 1911 with double stack mag, possibly a Browning 9mm and a short revolver backup
    I'm a big fan of capacity
    Nick
    Unless you planned to keep them solely in your home, business, or vehicle, Nick, you'd be surprised what a royal pain in the arse carrying even one of those guns would be.

I have a carry permit. My carry pistol is a tiny North American Arms single action revolver, in .22 magnum. It holds only 5 rounds: is hard to hit anything with: and is impossible to reload quickly (although I do carry 5 extra rounds for it, in a pouch in my holster).

So, why do I carry it?

Because I will carry it.

It weights only a few ounces, and is only about 4 inches long. It's so small and light I have to reach into my pocket to verify that I'm carrying it! And I ALWAYS carry it, unless I'm making a plane trip or otherwise going somewhere my permit's invalid. No visible holster, no need to cover it up with a jacket, etc.

It's in my pocket as I type this.

I sometimes think of the many people who have known me for years, and have seen me hundreds of times, who have never seen me that I wasn't carrying a gun. But who never knew that I was!

Jim

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Catches you out at first, doesn't it
    You can say that again !! thought i`d fired a Magnum
    Last edited by gordon; 17-10-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Re-posting question in the pistol section
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

So, why do I carry it?

Because I will carry it.

Jim
    I'm sure this is a silly question Jim, but do you need to carry it? Is it that "iffy" where you live or is this the normal way of life out there?

No offence meant, I'm just curious.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55