Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 'Best' CO2 multishot?

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    It's in my pocket as I type this.
    Jim
    You sure you're not a Texan?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    I'm sure this is a silly question Jim, but do you need to carry it? Is it that "iffy" where you live or is this the normal way of life out there?

No offence meant, I'm just curious.
    No offense taken, Paul.

Do I really need to carry a gun? Not really. I have been involved in only one incident in my life where carrying a gun would have helped me - and I didn't have one: I was attacked on my own property by two German Shepherds.

My neighborhood? We've had a car thief run into our drive while he was being pursued by the police on foot, after he and his cronies bailed out of the car (they collared him there, Jan and I saw it: it really scared her, because she was sitting on our porch when it happened).

The lock on our driveway gate was broken accidentally by police, when they ran into it while chasing someone (we weren't there, my neighbor saw it happen: the police denied it at first but later replaced the lock).

Jan and I drove up one night after dark to find our alley gate damaged. I went out back to check, gun in hand (NOT the little .22: something WAAY heavier!) and found no one, but found a blood trail, and damage to the fence on the other side.

The police told us afterwards that someone had been shot outside of our property, and had hopped our fence to get away, and hopped again to get out.

I've never been robbed or assaulted in my life: but yes, trouble does happen around here: so as long as I can carry a gun legally, I'm going to.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    You sure you're not a Texan?
    No, but next state over.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

No offense taken, Paul.

Do I really need to carry a gun? Not really. I have been involved in only one incident in my life where carrying a gun would have helped me - and I didn't have one: I was attacked on my own property by two German Shepherds.

My neighborhood? We've had a car thief run into our drive while he was being pursued by the police on foot, after he and his cronies bailed out of the car (they collared him there, Jan and I saw it: it really scared her, because she was sitting on our porch when it happened).

The lock on our driveway gate was broken accidentally by police, when they ran into it while chasing someone (we weren't there, my neighbor saw it happen: the police denied it at first but later replaced the lock).

Jan and I drove up one night after dark to find our alley gate damaged. I went out back to check, gun in hand (NOT the little .22: something WAAY heavier!) and found no one, but found a blood trail, and damage to the fence on the other side.

The police told us afterwards that someone had been shot outside of our property, and had hopped our fence to get away, and hopped again to get out.

I've never been robbed or assaulted in my life: but yes, trouble does happen around here: so as long as I can carry a gun legally, I'm going to.

Jim
    To be honest Jim, so would I if I could (you probably wouldn't get that question on a US shooting forum)

Not because I need to, but because I think its a basic right for any law-abiding adult in a democracy. And if they have that right, it should be exercised so that it doesn't go by default.

We had it, it was taken away; but you have a government where certain basic citizens rights were established at the very outset, whereas we still have a culture where things are "given" to us, or taken away - we have no constitutional guarantees at all. Because we don't have a constitution - partliament can enact any law, or even give away the power to enact/enforce laws (e.g. to the "European community").

Habeas corpus was suspended in the UK in both world wars without a murmur; yes, I know about the US-japanese detention in WW2 and the Bush excesses, but you still have fundamental rights that we do not have - excesses in the US are partial and can always be challenged, in the UK they are blanket and tend to be one-way.

Also, I've seen many stats about gun crime in the US e.g.:

- general stats about criminal gun use by those with/without criminal records

- crime rates before/after concealed carry laws are enacted

- crime rates before/after the absolute right to shoot burglars is granted

The stats all seem to heavily favour the NRA view of life

I have a marvellous book by a US author which I can't find which provides all the US stats you would ever need in defence of gun laws. It also has a chapter on the suppression of the right to self-defense in Japan (the most truly totalitarian state that has ever existed - they had "thought crime" hundreds of years ago) over hundreds of years, apart from state-licenced thugs who could kill anyone.

I have also seen stats that show more "baddies" are shot by private guns than by police guns?

Anyway, none of this is coming from a "gun nut" - I've never even held a "real" firearm and don't pine to do so (about 10 ft/pnds is racy enough for me); so I'm the best kind of advocate - entirely disinterested. going on the evidence alone

(But thats the real answer to your post about why everyone on here gets so excited about deadbeat US tourist destinations - its not Disneyland -as if - or the burger joints; its 'cause its the land of the gunshop)

I agree 100%, Mike, and your last paragraph was quite enlightening!

I think the book you have in mind was entitled "More Guns, Less Crime". (?) I never read it and don't recall the author's name. And yes, there is a very strong statistical correlation between the drop in violent crimes in those American States (currently about 39) that have enacted right to carry laws.

There are 2 or 3 other States that have gone further and simply stated that any law abiding adult resident can carry a concealed handgun without any need for a permit: 6 or so other States that make provisions for a concealed carry permit, but issue it only at police discretion: and 2 or 3 States that simply ban concealed carry, making no provision for a permit.

Right to carry is a relatively new thing in the US - since the 1980's. I remember as a kid that you used to need political clout to be able to get one (and usually had to pay a bribe!). Until then, carrying a gun was something cops did, and criminals, but not ordinary people.

You're right about "using it or losing it." I'm stunned at the relatively few people in the US who have applied for concealed carry permits. even though they could get them.

Anyway...we're getting far afield from Multishot Co2 pistols!

Take care,

Jim

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

Anyway...we're getting far afield from Multishot Co2 pistols!

Take care,

Jim
    It's been a fascinating detour though. Thanks for your reply Jim, that was an eye opener
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I've never owned or fired a Glock, Pad.

Over the years, I've owned: a Colt Government Model .45: a Colt .380 Pony:
    a High Standard Military Citation .22: a Keltec 9mm: and a Keltec .380.

The Citation jammed about 1 round per magazine. The Pony jammed about 50% of the time. The Keltec 9 functioned flawlessly with full metal jackets, but sometimes jammed with hollow points. The Keltec .380 jammed occasionally with either FMJ or hollowpoints.

The only one that never jammed - though I have to add that I never fired anything in it but FMJ - was the .45 Colt.

I used to keep it in my bedroom dresser for protection.

One day at the range it went off - while I was pointing it downrange at the target, but do not consciously remember pulling the trigger, though obviously I did: the pistol wasn't "possessed". And, I'd never had any sort of trigger work done on it to tighten or lighten the pull.

But that's a second thing that caused me to shy away from auto pistols: not only do they frequently malfunction, but it takes only a very little trigger pressure to make that cocked and loaded gun go off!

There's a saying that to have an accident with a revolver, you have to be either very careless, or very stupid: but to have an accident with an autoloader,you have to be only a little careless, or a little stupid.

Jim
    There's an old saying on your side of the pond Jim, and you've just reinforced it....
    'It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it'
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Agreed - I thought that there was only one state where you could legaly carry a concealed weapon.

I would would without doubt carry one here if I could.
    Vel, you were probably thinking of Vermont. That's the one state that's never prohibited carrying concealed weapons, and never required a permit to do so, either.

Jim

It's been a fascinating detour though. Thanks for your reply Jim, that was an eye opener
    Hope I didn't scare you, Paul!

Jim

Hope I didn't scare you, Paul!

Jim
    Nope not at all

OK, trip to New Orleans.

Passport, check. Suitcase, check. Money, check. Kevlar vest, check
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Nope not at all

OK, trip to New Orleans.

Passport, check. Suitcase, check. Money, check. Kevlar vest, check
    And I can loan you a gun when you get here.

First offense for concealed carry without a permit is just a misdemeanor.

Subsequent convictions are felonies, though.

Jim

And I can loan you a gun when you get here.

First offense for concealed carry without a permit is just a misdemeanor.
    Subsequent convictions are felonies, though.

Jim
    How would they know? Or would the stupid grin be a giveaway
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    yer you could just say 'no, I'm just pleased to see you'
    when asked is that a gun in your pocket
    Last edited by sol1821; 20-10-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    yer you could just say 'no, I'm just pleased to see you'
    when asked is that a gun in your pocket
    Here's MY favorite variation on that old Mae West line:

"Yes, that IS a pistol in my pocket: and no, I'm NOT glad to see you!"

Jim

How would they know? Or would the stupid grin be a giveaway
    You'd be like the American tourists here who walk around with a beer in their hand: you'd be so delighted, you'd be showing it off to everyonre.

Jim