Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 'Best' CO2 multishot?

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    You'd be like the American tourists here who walk around with a beer in their hand: you'd be so delighted, you'd be showing it off to everyonre.

Jim
    How did you guess
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Anything bigger than a .25 is hard to hide, dressed the way most people dress around here: slacks or jeans or shorts, shortsleeved shirt, most of the year, due to the heat.

Some years ago, and this was years before concealed carry permits were available, I was walking through the French Quarter, and noticed that the a guy about 10 paces in front of me was wearing a windbreaker: this on a day when the temperature was around 100 (we still use Fahrenheit in the States).

My first and only thought was, "that guy's carrying a gun".

About 20 paces further, and the guy raised his arms and shoulders. Up went the back of his jacket, just for a fraction of a second.

In a small of the back, inside the pants holster, he had a Walther PPK.

I don't know if he was a cop, crook, or private citizen carrying illegally, but I made a sharp right turn at the next corner.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I'm sure it's been allready said,but........Crosman 600

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    that can only be revolver
    Not really. Worst case scenario, you have to cock the hammer or pop the safety, if it's cocked and locked (S/A 1911 and Browning HP are very popular). A lot of modern self loaders are D/A anyway, so one simply pulls the trigger with a round chambered.

There are a few concerns about leaving them cocked 24/7, but it can't be too much of an issue, otherwise few people would opt for one. Revolvers are also not something that's very easy to sort out if they develop a fault during firing, unlike a self loader (generally).

One other good reason to use a pistol is they are easy to fit a torch/flash light to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    not only do they frequently malfunction, but it takes only a very little trigger pressure to make that cocked and loaded gun go off!

There's a saying that to have an accident with a revolver, you have to be either very careless, or very stupid: but to have an accident with an autoloader,you have to be only a little careless, or a little stupid.
    Depends a lot on quality. I doubt you would have many issues with Sig, H&K or Beretta; they all do D/A pistols and a few can probably have stress triggers fitted, so it would be unlikely to ND.

I don't like S/A pistols much for safety. A lot of people do manage to carry them cocked without incident, but D/A is definitely an improvement on them.

More modern self loaders are relatively safe, and a lot have a de-cocker to prevent the hammer slipping when manually dropped.

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    Not really. Worst case scenario, you have to cock the hammer or pop the safety, if it's cocked and locked (S/A 1911 and Browning HP are very popular). A lot of modern self loaders are D/A anyway, so one simply pulls the trigger with a round chambered.

There are a few concerns about leaving them cocked 24/7, but it can't be too much of an issue, otherwise few people would opt for one. Revolvers are also not something that's very easy to sort out if they develop a fault during firing, unlike a self loader (generally).

One other good reason to use a pistol is they are easy to fit a torch/flash light to.

Depends a lot on quality. I doubt you would have many issues with Sig, H&K or Beretta; they all do D/A pistols and a few can probably have stress triggers fitted, so it would be unlikely to ND.

I don't like S/A pistols much for safety. A lot of people do manage to carry them cocked without incident, but D/A is definitely an improvement on them.

More modern self loaders are relatively safe, and a lot have a de-cocker to prevent the hammer slipping when manually dropped.
    The point of a home deffence gun is that its left in your house loaded for when you need it dpesnt nedsiseraly need to be cocked as that only takes a fraction of a second to do. The thing is the guns goint to be sat there untill its needed or is taken out to clean. Ive never shot q real pistol but common sence and gcse physics tell me that if the spring in the mag has been depressed for a long period of time its not going to function properly. And i would imagin a lot of stopages are caused by the mag not doing what it should be.
    so unless i had time to have a few spare mags and rotate the full one around on a regular basis id just go for a revolver.

Ill edit all the typos later, on my phone at the mo wnd the touch screen must be disigned for daintyer people
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The point of a home deffence gun is that its left in your house loaded for when you need it dpesnt nedsiseraly need to be cocked as that only takes a fraction of a second to do. The thing is the guns goint to be sat there untill its needed or is taken out to clean. Ive never shot q real pistol but common sence and gcse physics tell me that if the spring in the mag has been depressed for a long period of time its not going to function properly. And i would imagin a lot of stopages are caused by the mag not doing what it should be.
    so unless i had time to have a few spare mags and rotate the full one around on a regular basis id just go for a revolver.

Ill edit all the typos later, on my phone at the mo wnd the touch screen must be disigned for daintyer people
    Sol,
    I can see the logic there, but if I lived in a country where a full bore pistol was an option I wouldn't be leaving mags loaded for long, I'd have two or three sets of mags (or more) for competitions & rotate the mags left loaded on my thrice-weekly evening visit to my local range
    If I seriously wanted total reliability then I'd keep a snub nosed revolver as a backup, or a second 1911 for "New York Reloads" in the event of a failure
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Sol,
    I can see the logic there, but if I lived in a country where a full bore pistol was an option I wouldn't be leaving mags loaded for long, I'd have two or three sets of mags (or more) for competitions & rotate the mags left loaded on my thrice-weekly evening visit to my local range
    If I seriously wanted total reliability then I'd keep a snub nosed revolver as a backup, or a second 1911 for "New York Reloads" in the event of a failure
    ATB,
    Nick
    Hey Nick
    No point in me editing my post now as you've quoted it
    I to would have a colt(you know I’ve a thing for them), but it be a tricked out one for ipsc
    Although I would still have a revolver purely as a home defence gun just for peace of mind

btw are you camping at the ubc meet this year?
    Sliced bread.

There's an interesting article on the best calibre for defence, written by an ex undercover officer, here -
    http://craigsmithcolumns.homestead.c...gahandgun.html

He says .45 for various reasons.
    Grumpy old Git
    Good deals with; WOLVES, wild dogman, Mr Fudd, sny86, jonnyhal, termin8R, the wizard, mashed104, matt007, Old Bull, Juice, baz77

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Sol,
    This meet coincided with Whitby Goth Weekend, Tracey was quite happy for me to spend our wedding anniversary at the summer meet this year provided it was a one-off but WGW is not negotiable.
    I'll be getting the target system over next week, but can't attend the shoot
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Nick,
    I was at Infest this year Whitby sounds too cold for me

Back on topic. Does the Drozd count as a pistol? Semi auto BB.
    Grumpy old Git
    Good deals with; WOLVES, wild dogman, Mr Fudd, sny86, jonnyhal, termin8R, the wizard, mashed104, matt007, Old Bull, Juice, baz77

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    Nick,
    I was at Infest this year Whitby sounds too cold for me

Back on topic. Does the Drozd count as a pistol? Semi auto BB.
    dont think it be any good for home deffence
    Sliced bread.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Sol,
    This meet coincided with Whitby Goth Weekend, Tracey was quite happy for me to spend our wedding anniversary at the summer meet this year provided it was a one-off but WGW is not negotiable.
    I'll be getting the target system over next week, but can't attend the shoot
    ATB,
    Nick
    lol that looks cool have a good weekend.
    if you're dropping it off on the firday eve you'll see me there
    Sliced bread.

The point of a home defence gun is that its left in your house loaded for when you need it doesn't necessarily need to be cocked as that only takes a fraction of a second to do. The thing is the guns going to be sat there until its needed or is taken out to clean. I've never shot q real pistol but common sense and gcse physics tell me that if the spring in the mag has been depressed for a long period of time its not going to function properly. And i would imagin a lot of stopages are caused by the mag not doing what it should be.
    You should be doing a certain amount of practise and drills with it, even if it is to be kept at home. The magazines tend to be built with longevity in mind, so it would take a bit longer than a few days to damage the springs.

I think the G17 only has around 34 parts overall, so one can maintain them quite easily. As a budget option, people recondition them from S/H. Revolvers certainly have their benefits, but pistols have had a good century to catch up, and the ammo has improved too...

Hmm, I say all this about self loaders, and have just spent an afternoon struggling to get one (shotgun) working.

I have had a 6"S&W Berretta 92FS and also a Walther CP88 Competition. Of these i would rate in order of preference.

1. Walther CP88
    2. S&W
    3. Beretta 92

Ironically the only one I still have is the Beretta which I find to have a heavy and spongy trigger but fun none the less.

I found the S&W to be the most accurate especially at longer ranges but since most of my shoots were rapid fire efforts I found the Walther best in this field - I know the Smith has a higher mag capacity but as the magazine change was mandatory this was offset by the shorter trigger pull of the Walther ( due to the smaller magazines ) making it easier to stay on target when firing off a couple of shots a second. However the previous owner of the Walther had done some work to improve the trigger (which was a peach) so this may have some bearing on my experience.

Doubt that was of any help to you.