Thread: Hi all

Hi all

On the look out on behalf of a friend who is re introducing Bell Target shooting to his pub. Something low powered and vintage, in keeping with the pub in question. Replies here if poss, cheers all, John

Hi John.

I am using an Air Arms SM100 .177 which I think is around 15 to 18 years of age.

I've fitted an Aperture rear sight & my friend 'wonky donky' has made me a custom foresight.

It's deadly accurate and I'm up against modern FWB's, Steyr's, Walther's etc and I'm not doing too badly with it, considering I've only been Bell Target shooting for around 10 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Atb

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    On the look out on behalf of a friend who is re introducing Bell Target shooting to his pub. Something low powered and vintage, in keeping with the pub in question. Replies here if poss, cheers all, John
    You mean a pre-War BSA? Or just a nice gentle target gun? Might be able to help out when back in London.

Sorry for delays in replying. This will be strictly old school, iron sights only no fancy aids to shooting. Looking out for an older gun, or more modern soft shooting rifle.

Cheers all

Hi,

I belong to a great Bell Target League in Worcestershire this is the Lord Ednam League, it is over 100 Years Old...We shoot around Village Pub's and Village Hall's..We only Shoot Spring Recoiling Air Rifles,with Standard Sights only as fitted to these rifles only in .177..ie;-Weihrauch 77k/77 also Weihrauch 35k/35 and also 80k/80 and also Air Arms TX 200,with all these rifles the Foresight has to be either made or modified..The Straight out of the Box rifle that most member's in our League seem to Buy is the 77k..
    We Shoot Bell Target at 6yd's, the Bell Target Centre is 5 feet off the floor..The Centre of the Target is 8.5mm,this make's very interesting shooting..2 sighting shots allowed followed by 5 shot's to count toward's a score..Also some Night's we have a little fun... We all shoot Old pre war BSA Under Leaver Air Rifles.. The lights are dimmed and the target lit only by a candle...As you can imagine this is Fun...

If I can help in any way..Contact Me...

Regard's

Inproved

Hi Inproved,

I'm guessing all your venue's are long established & used to Bell target shooters & airguns in general...if someone wanted to start from scratch & found a venue that wasn't anti guns & prepared to give it a go...how would they go about setting up a (removable) backstop/bell target & what insurance policy would they need..?

I know their are "pockets" of Bell target leagues (B/ham,Wolves,Salop) but are there any near me...ie Derby/Ashby..?I'm thinking that with these colder winter months coming on..it might be nice to move indoors...thanks,Chris.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post

On the look out on behalf of a friend who is re introducing Bell Target shooting to his pub. Something low powered and vintage, in keeping with the pub in question . Replies here if poss, cheers all, John
    ... Hi John, yhpm.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Hi Inproved,

I'm guessing all your venue's are long established & used to Bell target shooters & airguns in general...if someone wanted to start from scratch & found a venue that wasn't anti guns & prepared to give it a go...how would they go about setting up a (removable) backstop/bell target & what insurance policy would they need..?

I know their are "pockets" of Bell target leagues (B/ham,Wolves,Salop) but are there any near me...ie Derby/Ashby..?I'm thinking that with these colder winter months coming on..it might be nice to move indoors...thanks,Chris.
    HI Chris, That's an interesting question mate.....The Ednam has been going for a fair while, and although this is my first year, I still find it strange to walk into a country pub and see 20-30 guns laid out all over the place, and shooting going on in plain view of customers in the bar! (apparently, in one old place...you shoot across the bar into a separate area).

I suppose it has just been going on so long here, that it is the norm, although I wonder what a tourist would make of it if they stopped by one night for a quiet pint in a quaint old boozer. We actually had that happen a while back during a practice night.....a guy and his son came in and our captain let him have a go with his TX.....one bull and a very close nearly later, the guy admitted he was a member of the IDF.

Our "home" pub has a skittle alley out back, and we have shot in a village hall, but in one place we shot across the pool table in the bar, with people queuing into the lounge waiting their turn.

On setting up...

The targets are portable, and incorporate a pellet catcher and are self lit with just a 13amp plug, so the only evidence of there being a "range" on a non shooting night will be a screw in the wall, and possibly a mark on the floor at the 18 foot range. On the night, the target will be hung, a table pulled out and a perspex / lexan screen erected (at ours anyway) to provide a safe area for the scorer who resets / repaints the target. Have a look at Airgun sport issue 8 which shows our range. There is no backstop apart from the target. The whole thing takes 10 mins to set up / break down........clearing the empty glasses, bottles and plates (food is laid on) normally takes longer!

Insurance wise, I will ask on Thursday for you as I have no idea, or maybe their are publicans on here that may know....Our league runs weekly on Thursdays from September till April, so it is good for the Publican to have an extra 25-30 people in during the winter........last week we actually ran two targets, and there were 50 odd extra people spending money, so he was really pleased!

If you haven't got AGS, I will scan and email the article to you mate, just PM me.

Regards, Ed

P.S.......I think there are plans for a target on the website.....and also the reason the target was pink in the AGS article was because it was the one used by our ladies team!.......we normally have a butch black one but it was away for repair on the night I took the photos!...(just adding this in case our captain Mike reads this...he has a serious issue with pink)
    Last edited by edbear2; 23-10-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Cheers chaps very informative, Gareth have replied to pm.

Cheers all, John

Cheers for all info, landlord has secured a couple of oldies, tap loaders and with only a wooden stock (very technical description I know!) so won't know what they are till I order a pint of mild and a pickled egg!

Cheers again, John