Thread: A Big Hello and a Long Introduction!

A Big Hello and a Long Introduction!

Just like to say hi to all the forum members and take a chance to introduce myself. I'm 44 and have been an airgun enthusiast since the age of 12 when my father bought me my first rifle.

It was tradition in our family (of 3 brothers) that your 12th birthday present was an air rifle. Since my two other brothers are older, they already had their guns and regularly went out shooting with my dad. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to turn 12 and be able to join them.

That first gun was a Webley Hawk Mk2 and served me well until I upgraded to a Meteor, selling the Hawk to fund the purchase. The Meteor was then upgraded (or so I thought) to Webley Osprey which was totally useless as a hunting gun. I got rid of that and bought a Sharp Innova which was a cracking little gun which suited my stalking-style hunting because I could keep it loaded and ready without damaging the mainspring. The Innova was then replaced with the classic HW35, the Luxus version with the 35 inch barrel and a walnut stock. Although it was second hand, it was in good nick and was a pleasure to use. I eventually sent it off to be Venomised and kept it for many years.

Finally, although I really wanted a PCP, I couldn't afford one and plumped for the next best thing, a Titan Mohawk single stroke pneumatic. That proved to be a fantastic gun which was incredibly accurate, quiet and powerful. However, the last couple of inches on the cocking stroke were a nightmare! Unfortunately, I hit some financially hard times and sold the rifle to my brother. He still has it now and uses it on his land in France where he has a farmhouse.

A few years passed without a gun in my possession but all that changed this weekend when I went with some friends to Cornwall where a friend's father has a cottage. He has a BSA Spitfire and we spent one afternoon plinking in the field bordering his house. The old shooting bug came back with a vengeance and the next day saw me at the gunshop with Visa card in hand. These days I can afford pretty much what I want but I realised that back in Reading I would have little opportunity to shoot and couldn't justify a £700 PCP. Although I scuba dive and have several cylinders, a PCP was a no-go. I finally went for a BSA Lightning and a 4X40 scope which will be the basis of my shooting for the time being. If I can find a club and/or land on which I can shoot locally, I'll certainly upgrade.

Anyway, thanks for reading this and I hope to be a useful member of the forums.

Safe shooting!

WhirlJack

PS It wasn’t until I joined this forum that I found out about the passing of my all time airgunning hero, John Darling. I was fortunate enough to spend an afternoon with John at Bisley many years ago. He was a terrific guy and will be greatly missed. RIP John.

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    Wow - great first post

Hello and welcome on board

Once bitten by the shooting bug.....

Whirljack Hi

great little group here and i can certainly identify with you being in the exact same position. just getting back into this after a long break my self. i was a little older getting my first air rifle at 14 (im now 40 and have owned a few since)
    used to own a pcp but just cant justify the outlay on one right now, though i could afford one.
    just looking to share a few hours with my son in the garden with his gamo shadow 1000 and keep the rats under control around my wifes chickens lol, the shadow is ok just has an awfully long pull on the trigger. there is a club near me and my son would like to join so will be going along with him
    saw one of those bsa lightning tactical's at my local when purchasing the gamo shadow for my son is the lightning tactical the same gun you bought if so how are you finding it?

best wishes Mark

Hello to you and thanks for taking the time to reply. What a friendly forum this seems to be!

In answer to your question Mark, when I got back to the cottage I bolted on the scope and carefully marked out 25 yds at which to zero in. After a few adjustments I was getting 1/2 inch groups from the FT position (don't know it's official name but where you sit 90 degrees to the target and put your arm on your knees and rest the gun in the crook)..

I put 500 Bisley Pest Control pellets through it that day and I was impressed. I bought the standard Lightning, not the XL and to be honest the build quality seems to be excellent. My only criticism, which I've found to be widespread, is that the trigger is a bit woolly even after adjustment.

I plan to gas ram it in the near future and get some decent optics. I bought the gun at Trago Mills and needed everything there and then and they only had cheap scopes.

hi and welcome

Trago mills, same place i bought the gamo shadow 1000 for my son we visited the Liskeard branch, thats where i looked at the bsa lightning with the tactical plastic stock. seemed nice enough but has had some bad press regarding QC due to being assembled by gamo in spain