Thread: Firing Blanks

Firing Blanks

Another noob question I know! I'm slowly learning.

Basically is it bad for a CO2 pistol to fire it without any ammunition, just CO2?

I really can't see how it would at all - I can just see it waiting CO2 - but some people have suggested it might

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Another noob question I know! I'm slowly learning.

Basically is it bad for a CO2 pistol to fire it without any ammunition, just CO2?

I really can't see how it would at all - I can just see it waiting CO2 - but some people have suggested it might
    I honestly don't know! I've always been told not to dry fire any cartridge gun - something about it not being good for the firing pin to not make contact with a primer - but airguns don't have primers: or firing pins, for that matter.

As you say, doing so does nothing but waste C02.

I've heard that you shouldn't dry fire airguns either: but I'm not sure why you shouldn't.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Zippo I can't see why it would be bad as all you are doing is venting the co2, but if you want an experts advice ask magicniner on here, he's bound to know for sure.

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

It won't do it any harm at all, Zippo. In fact, with an empty mag inserted so that the CO2 doesn't vent from the breech, they make excellent short-range bug-killers.

Wasps, flies, you name it - instantly liquefied!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    It won't do it any harm at all, Zippo. In fact, with an empty mag inserted so that the CO2 doesn't vent from the breech, they make excellent short-range bug-killers.

Wasps, flies, you name it - instantly liquefied!
    I'm glad it's not just me that's a bug & fly "Dirty Harry"
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Also very good for shooting spiders out of the centre of their webs. Depending on the size of the spider they can travel quite some way down the garden.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Wrecked a blowback Umarex desert eagle doing it, snaped the valve after about 8-16 empty shots. It was crap anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    Also very good for shooting spiders out of the centre of their webs. Depending on the size of the spider they can travel quite some way down the garden.
    Do I see another type of UBC pistol competition for next Season?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I've heard that you shouldn't dry fire airguns either: but I'm not sure why you shouldn't.

Jim
    If I've got this right, with spring airguns the build up of air pressure behind the pellet cushions the piston as it stops. Without a pellet there is no air cushion for the piston and it damages it as it rockets into the stop at full force. Pneumatic airguns are usually safe to dry fire as they just open a valve and release air.
    Daystate Merlyn LE (number 22); AA S410; AA TX200; BSA Scorpion; HW40. Plus a couple of them there fowling pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by chris100575 View Post
    If I've got this right, with spring airguns the build up of air pressure behind the pellet cushions the piston as it stops. Without a pellet there is no air cushion for the piston and it damages it as it rockets into the stop at full force. Pneumatic airguns are usually safe to dry fire as they just open a valve and release air.
    OK, makes sense.

Jim