Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mick dawes rip

Mick's wife, Pat, called me today to ask if those of us who knew him could let others know that Mick has passed away.

The funeral arrangements are yet to be finalised but as soon as they are known, one of us will post them on here.

Thanks.

I am sad to hear this news. On the few occasions when I met Mick, I was impressed by his skills and knowledge. The guns he made were very innovative. I was impressed by his patience and willingness to share his knowledge. A sad day.
    Last edited by Powderfinger; 27-10-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Crap...

...gutted, owe him a massive amount
    Pardon?

Condolences to Pat and family.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mick back around 1990 and what a pleasant gentleman he was.

i have just been and seen pat and sharon, micks funeral is on november 2.
    the funeral is taking place at west bromwich crematorium, newton rd,

the funeral leaves micks house at 14.10, and arrives at the crematorium at 14.30

pat as requested that no flowers are to be bought, but would like any donations to go to cancer research.

pat as asked anyone who knew mick are more than welcome to attend the service, and afterwards at the windmill pub, coronation rd wendsbury.
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

I will attend if I am not required to work that day. Thanks for letting us know the details.

I have just spoken to Pat and she would like to thank everyone who attended micks funeral yesterday, she would also like to thank everyone for there donations to the cancer charity.

Rip mate, you will be greatly missed
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

In 91 i was on a training course at Sutton Coldfield and visited Hilton Park FT club; then Micks club. As a complete outsider Mick befriended me for the day and let me shoot his "Mick Dawes Special". Although by this time we were well established with PCP's, It was the first time I had shot something quite like it. I remember you pulled a very crisp trigger, the scope fogged momentarily (it was a cold day!) and when it cleared the 55 yard target was down. I repeated this until I became bored and went back to my own rifle which felt like a flintlock in comparison.

It set me (and probably others) on a path which took many years and a lot of technology to achieve. Later with Nick Jenkinson, I had a look at the engineering (this was by now when Brocock were going to make them). It was way in advance of anything then available.

As I remember Mick pioneered regulators, dry lube in PCP’s and full width springs with light hammers, something we now take for granted. More than this though, I remember his friendship on that day and at every meeting however infrequent since.

Tony Belas