In 91 i was on a training course at Sutton Coldfield and visited Hilton Park FT club; then Micks club. As a complete outsider Mick befriended me for the day and let me shoot his "Mick Dawes Special". Although by this time we were well established with PCP's, It was the first time I had shot something quite like it. I remember you pulled a very crisp trigger, the scope fogged momentarily (it was a cold day!) and when it cleared the 55 yard target was down. I repeated this until I became bored and went back to my own rifle which felt like a flintlock in comparison.

It set me (and probably others) on a path which took many years and a lot of technology to achieve. Later with Nick Jenkinson, I had a look at the engineering (this was by now when Brocock were going to make them). It was way in advance of anything then available.

As I remember Mick pioneered regulators, dry lube in PCP’s and full width springs with light hammers, something we now take for granted. More than this though, I remember his friendship on that day and at every meeting however infrequent since.

Tony Belas