Thread: Scope Focus

Scope Focus

When I point my scope at the sky, everything is in focus. As soon as I point it at something, the reticle becomes so fuzy it disappears. Is there anything I can do, or is it just me. It's a Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 non AO.

Thanks guys.

FS.
    A Decent Jokes Page
    80K .22
    Domino O/U 12g

if its in focus at longer distances it may need re-parallaxing
    Regards
    Seggy

Ratpak Guest
    Is the eye relief correct?

Or another one is to check the eye piece is in focus by adjusting it.

Hope that helps, time is short.

Ta

The eye releif is right (I think - there are no black fuzzy circles), and I have adjusted the focus as much as possible.

How do you re-parralax them?
    A Decent Jokes Page
    80K .22
    Domino O/U 12g

Guide Taken from http://www.total-pestcontrol.co.uk/

Hope this helps (its easy to do, mine came undone with just hand pressure)

Mart.
    Last edited by Martin; 16-12-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Sounds like Martins guide will sort you out, I had an identical problem on my 3-9 x 50 which is due to most scopes parallax being set for firearms at 100Yds. In my case the outer ring came off quite easily with finger pressure. You will need to re zero once you've got the focus right, mine was off by 6 inches at 30 Yds.

Just a thought, but surely reparallaxing will not affect the focus on the reticle, that's done using the occular bell. It sounds more like the eye relief is changing with position, ie, as you lower the rifle to a more horizontal position?

I hope this helps.

[QUOTE=cr*pshot]Just a thought, but surely reparallaxing will not affect the focus on the reticle, that's done using the occular bell. It sounds more like the eye relief is changing with position, ie, as you lower the rifle to a more horizontal position?
    [QUOTE]

Uh - uh. Have tried everything I can - eye relief, focus, the lot.
    A Decent Jokes Page
    80K .22
    Domino O/U 12g

I don't want to sound (even more than usually) thick, but I'm assuming that you're aiming up to look at the sky (that's where I usually find it...) and roughly horizontally to "point at something"? What happens when you aim up at say a tree, with the rifle at the same angle as when you're looking at the sky? I was thinking perhaps the reticle itself is shifting position according to the angle (I hope this isn't the problem).

Thanks guys, all sorted now, no idea what was the matter, my only suggestion is that I may have been looking at something a little too close!
    A Decent Jokes Page
    80K .22
    Domino O/U 12g

Unless it was under 10 Yds I can't see any reason why it would be too close.
    Really does sound like the parralax to me, unless you've adjusted it I would expect it to be set to 100 Yds out of the box. In my case I found the reticule would split into two the closer the target was but I could get a clear picture if I moved my head to the side, this is a classic symptom of parralax error. As soon as I tried the instructions from total pest control I found a dramatic improvement in picture. I set mine up to give me clear sharp cross hairs on an in-focus target at 30 Yds, then screwed the locking ring back on.
    Now I have no problems from 10 - 55 Yds.

Well, I'll stick my finger in my ear and say RED bacwards, but I thought the only way to get the reticle in focus was to adjust the bell housing at the rear of the scope to suit the individual eye. Also wouldn't have thought that the eye relief would alter the reticle's focus.

It is possible to have the reticule crystal clear when glancing through the scope at sky (adjusted to perfection using the eye bell) but when you look at something at close range your eye works hard to get the target in focus - so much so that he reticule becomes a complete blur. You can then consciously shift the focus of your eye to see either the reticule or the target but not both - until the parallax is suitably adjusted. At least thats what I found.