Thread: Cleaning a CO2 pistol

Cleaning a CO2 pistol

So what do I need to keep my Beretta PX4 maintained and in good condition?

I believe I need some form of oil (Pellgun oil is the one I keep hearing about) to lube the gas seal. But there is also (looking on the sponsor site) silicon lube, normal lube, re-blueing stuff, degreaser and gel stuff.

Do I need any of these? Is the lube and the silicon lube similar to pellgun oil (that's sold out)?

Do I need a barrel cleaning kit? Do I need to take the gun apart and lube the slide and such?

What do I need to do!

Any help in reducing my confusion would be very appreciated!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    So what do I need to keep my Beretta PX4 maintained and in good condition?

I believe I need some form of oil (Pellgun oil is the one I keep hearing about) to lube the gas seal. But there is also (looking on the sponsor site) silicon lube, normal lube, re-blueing stuff, degreaser and gel stuff.

Add a drop of Pellgunoil on every third or fourth CO2 capsule and use branded CO2 - pierce capsules with the pistol upside down.
    That way you'll get enough oil flushing through the system to keep it clean where it counts - use Gecos or other clean pellets to keep the internals clean.

There is no Blueing on any Umarex CO2 airgun.

Do I need any of these? Is the lube and the silicon lube similar to pellgun oil (that's sold out)?

No, not really, Pellgunoil will do.

Do I need a barrel cleaning kit? Do I need to take the gun apart and lube the slide and such?

It's not really designed for user maintenance but my strip/rebuild guide is linked on the UBC site, you can use felt barrel cleaning pellets.

What do I need to do!

Any help in reducing my confusion would be very appreciated!
    Hope This Helps
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

It does thank-you! I will just get pellgun oil maybe cleaning pellets and I'm getting some good pellets from the sponsor soon too.

Out of interest what is blueing? A search didn't turn up too much but it sounded like a way of dying metal?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    It's a kind of stain - often called "blacking" in the UK, I'm told - that used to be a popular color finishing, and rust inhibitor, on cartridge pistols.

Not so common on new pistols, which tend to be made of stainless steel, aluminium, or high-tech plastics, or some combination thereof.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Guide to cleaning a CO2 pistol...

An excellent guide, Nick. If you are using Pellgun Oil, then I assume it is best to use capsules that don't contain any silicon oil?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meteor View Post
    An excellent guide, Nick. If you are using Pellgun Oil, then I assume it is best to use capsules that don't contain any silicon oil?
    I stick with Crosman and Brass Eagle CO2 as that's what's available locally, if you use dry CO2 use Pellgunoil every capsule.
    A fair amount of lube going through the system will only keep things slippy & allow dirt & wear products to wash through with it - it's all good!
    ATB,
    Nick

Im happy to use Crosman co2 in Crosman pistols and I dont add oil as that is what you pay extra for. The lube is in the capsule.
    In my Umarexs I use Umarex capsules and the occasional Crosman for lube and clean. I dont think these pistols need or appreciate lots of lube and the handbooks dont say it is necessary.
    I have had problems with pistols caused by too much internal lube and tend to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Im happy to use Crosman co2 in Crosman pistols and I dont add oil as that is what you pay extra for. The lube is in the capsule.
    In my Umarexs I use Umarex capsules and the occasional Crosman for lube and clean. I dont think these pistols need or appreciate lots of lube and the handbooks dont say it is necessary.
    I have had problems with pistols caused by too much internal lube and tend to avoid it.
    I'd agree that overlube can cause problems but I've bought several faulty Umarex pistols that made miraculous recoveries after adequate lube was run through them so there's an optimum level, if your hand get's oily you're overdoing it
    Regards,
    Nick

Dont deny that pellgun oil can work miracles on dodgy co2 guns.
    Oily hands, thats a different hobby