Thread: Match Pistol wanted

Match Pistol wanted

I too am looking for a 10 metre match pistol. I live in South Cornwall and don't know any stores in the area that cater for serious enquiries i.e. go and try several different ones out to see what suits before I buy. I need some advice on what to avoid and the quality makes to consider, whether PCP is really much more accurate over SSP. If it's any help I'm in good shape, weigh 11 stone, Hand size 9" around the palm. Shoot FT at the moment but have joined a club that shoots 10 metres competitively in rifle and pistol. I want to try both and have a lovely FWB300SU on it's way. I don't want to spend a fortune in case it's not for me but I want something better to practise with than the clubs starter pistols and that will be good enough for postal competitions in the beginning.

A FWB65 or 80 would seem the ideal partner for your 300SU; spring powered recoilless sidelever. They go for around the £200-300 mark for a good one. Accuracy is excellent, though you won't find them in the Olympics any more, but then they are considerably cheaper than a Steyr LP10.

If you are on a tight budget, look at the Gamo Compact SSP; a good one can be had around the £90-100 mark second hand.

The Baikal IZH46 SSP has a good following (about £200-300 I think) and the TAU7 CO2 is also worth considering. CO2 is notoriously inconsistent in varying temperatures, but this is not an issue with the TAU in my experience.

If you can stretch your budget higher, have a look at Steyr, Anschütz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, Swiss Arms Manufacture, Morini...

My only experience is with the FWB65 and the TAU7, but others on here have far more knowledge. Try before you buy; what is good for one person may not be good for another. Good luck!

Matt

you need to decide a budget first, as you can get something half decent from £175 new upto £1300 for a new Steyr.

As said before, the semi recoiless FWB's are damn good and perfectly accurate. With the SSP's over a 60 shot course, you may get fatigue from all the cocking/loading, this is where a PCP would have an advantage. But if shot properly, they are perfectly accurate.

A decent second hand PCP (FWB P34 for example) could be had for around £400 second hand, rising to £900 for an almost new second hand LP10
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

This was my reply to a similar question a while ago.

It depends on what you want to spend?

For a good 10m pistol at reasonable cost you want a second hand Feinwerkbau 65, 80 or 90 for around £180 - £280. This will be miles better than anything new at the same cost. A good FAS 604 SSP is also worth considering at around the same money.

A little more (£300-£450) and you could get a good second hand Co2 Match pistol Like a Feinwerkbau C10 or C25.

After this you are moving into second hand Morini 162, Feinwerkbau and Steyr LP2 or LP10 Money. For £550 - £700

Above this point most new match pistols are above £1000 and if you want one of them you usually know by then what you are going to buy.

Remember that the fit of the grip is VERY important. Also how the pistol feels and how it comes on to the target. You may spend more money but it may not be the best pistol for you. It is best to try as many as possible.

HTH

Mark

target pistol wanted

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Might be worth mentioning what the Club's starter pistol is, and a rough idea of what budget you have ?

Steve.
    In answer to your question Steve. The club have Beeman and Gamo but people fiddle with the sights a lot, teenagers I guess, so I prefer to have my own and never rated Gamo in the scheme of things. Budget wise I always believe you get what you pay for mostly so second hand £200-300 for a good pneumatic but if a real bargain on a Steyr was to come along I'd snap it up and if the gun didn't suit me I know it would be easy enough to resell. I like the sounds of the Feinwerkbau pistols, good heritage, habe been advised against co2 due to ambient temperature issues apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    This was my reply to a similar question a while ago.

It depends on what you want to spend?

For a good 10m pistol at reasonable cost you want a second hand Feinwerkbau 65, 80 or 90 for around £180 - £280. This will be miles better than anything new at the same cost. A good FAS 604 SSP is also worth considering at around the same money.

A little more (£300-£450) and you could get a good second hand Co2 Match pistol Like a Feinwerkbau C10 or C25.

After this you are moving into second hand Morini 162, Feinwerkbau and Steyr LP2 or LP10 Money. For £550 - £700

Above this point most new match pistols are above £1000 and if you want one of them you usually know by then what you are going to buy.

Remember that the fit of the grip is VERY important. Also how the pistol feels and how it comes on to the target. You may spend more money but it may not be the best pistol for you. It is best to try as many as possible.

HTH

Mark
    Thanks Mark,

That is most illuminating. I think I'll look for a FWB 80 and see how I go from there
    Pro Sport .177 v-mach, Feinwerkbau 600 su,
    Ruger 10/22 in Boyd custom stock, Kid Trigger unit and Tac Sol Barrel.
    Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter, Anchutz 1907 in Precise Alu stock

Red face match pistol

Sounds like the situation i was in 6 months ago...I joined the club and started pistol last feb/march time, used the club FWB fora while then bouht a Baikal IZH 46M which did me for 3 months, sold it for the same money as I bought it and found a STEYR LP10 on here for £700 so now I am happy that when I shoot a 7 its not the pistol its me!

It always makes me sad too see that the ramsj about CO2 and temperature is still around. They've shot olympics and world champs with co2, how bad do you think it ís?? If its good enough for thóse shooters wouldnt it be good enough for us?? As long as you shoot at normal ranges (inside) you'll never have real temp differences anyway. The Tau 7 was chrono tested from about 10 to 22 degrees or something, and didnt give ONE single fps difference..
    As long as yóu are comfortable shooting at a temp, so is yr weapon.
    The 1996 worldrecord was shot with CO2..while there already wére pcp's around.
    I myself shoot best (= most consistent, smalles group) with my Tau 7. Not with my morini, hammerli or aeron pcp's.
    Unless yr shooting toplevel, CO2 has no downsides. And the only réal downside is, balanceshift, not temperature. Topshooting insnt outside in the cold anyway!
    Yeah, when I shoot close to zero temp, my shooting changes, but ís it the Tau?? Or is it me having chills?? I dont shoot well with ány gun at those temps..And what if it díd shift a tad? Few clicks, solved. You have to alter many times because of the light etc. Thats what practise shots are for. So whats the problem with a few clicks for temp??
    CO2 temperature problems are SO exagerrated..In matchguns that is. Cheapo crosman stuff is another story..
    Feel free to choose CO2. Its just as accurate as pcp. As is SSP by the way. Pcp is just easier to cock, and cause its more modern, it may have better ergonomics and adjustability. But inherent accuracy is the same.
    Pcp is a hype, everyone 'must' have pcp. Cant recall many shootings that nééds pcp though cause they're so good.
    I own my pcp pistols cause I love their looks. But I cant outshoot the Tau 7 anyway..My best is around the 180-182 ex 200. And I'm no topshot.

If you want spring, look for the Diana 10 as well. I very much prefer it above the, for me, awkward FWB65. Too light up front, and awkward sidecocking.
    FWB makes nice SSP's for instance. And the Tau 7 is a great CO2 pistol.
    ATB,
    yana

I'd agree with everything Mark (cones) has said above, and add to that with the quality ones your not going to lose much if any money on them (assuming they are looked after), if you ever come to sell them afterwards.

Steve.

Interesting opinion on the co2. Thanks for illuminating a newbie on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by subatomic View Post
    Interesting opinion on the co2. Thanks for illuminating a newbie on this subject
    What Yana says is spot on. CO2 match pistols are not like Umarex types, and even if there is a little variation summer to winter, it's a matter of a couple of clicks.

yep, I guess what was putting me off was exactly the Umarex type which in my experienceshoot all over the place. I was shocked when I used a steyr pcp pistol, the accuracy was spot on so I thought it may be due to constant air pressure so thanks to Yana for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    It always makes me sad too see that the ramsj about CO2 and temperature is still around. They've shot olympics and world champs with co2, how bad do you think it ís?? If its good enough for thóse shooters wouldnt it be good enough for us?? As long as you shoot at normal ranges (inside) you'll never have real temp differences anyway. The Tau 7 was chrono tested from about 10 to 22 degrees or something, and didnt give ONE single fps difference..
    As long as yóu are comfortable shooting at a temp, so is yr weapon.
    The 1996 worldrecord was shot with CO2..while there already wére pcp's around.
    I myself shoot best (= most consistent, smalles group) with my Tau 7. Not with my morini, hammerli or aeron pcp's.
    Unless yr shooting toplevel, CO2 has no downsides. And the only réal downside is, balanceshift, not temperature. Topshooting insnt outside in the cold anyway!
    Yeah, when I shoot close to zero temp, my shooting changes, but ís it the Tau?? Or is it me having chills?? I dont shoot well with ány gun at those temps..And what if it díd shift a tad? Few clicks, solved. You have to alter many times because of the light etc. Thats what practise shots are for. So whats the problem with a few clicks for temp??
    CO2 temperature problems are SO exagerrated..In matchguns that is. Cheapo crosman stuff is another story..
    Feel free to choose CO2. Its just as accurate as pcp. As is SSP by the way. Pcp is just easier to cock, and cause its more modern, it may have better ergonomics and adjustability. But inherent accuracy is the same.
    Pcp is a hype, everyone 'must' have pcp. Cant recall many shootings that nééds pcp though cause they're so good.
    I own my pcp pistols cause I love their looks. But I cant outshoot the Tau 7 anyway..My best is around the 180-182 ex 200. And I'm no topshot.

If you want spring, look for the Diana 10 as well. I very much prefer it above the, for me, awkward FWB65. Too light up front, and awkward sidecocking.
    FWB makes nice SSP's for instance. And the Tau 7 is a great CO2 pistol.
    Agreed, 125%!!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.