Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom FWB Sport pics thread

Custom FWB Sport pics thread

There's been some interest in FWB Mastersports in collectables recently so I thought I would put together some pics of different Sports customised here in the UK. If you have others, please post them on this thread.

First off is a standard Airmasters Mastersport, made by Dave and John (& Rich?) Welham in the '80s. Others on here will be able to describe the exact modifications made. One was to add a tiny grub screw to the breech pivot bolt to stop it coming loose.

I had a Mastersport once with bronze rings brazed on the end of the piston - a kind of Lazaglide equivalent. It also had a neat rear sight blanking plate with allen key bolts.

Second off is a Bowkett custom Sport with a less 'fancy' than usual Don Robinson stock. It has a beautifully crafted and very effective breech locking device added to guarantee the lock up is consistent. If you don't want to use it you can leave it open and rely on the original ball detent only.

The Bowkett internals include a piston modified to accept an O ring and a separate spring guide in place of the standard FWB one fixed to the trigger block. This seems to work very well and the rifle fires with a nice 'snap' and little felt recoil. The carbine barrel has been shortened at the breech and refitted into the breech block, to preserve the barrel choke.

Third is a Venom custom shop Sport.

Fourth (thanks to Paddy and Robin) is one of only two Mastersport FT Sports ever made (another pic here). It's fully tricked out and even has an ajustable pistol grip palm rest, like on a 10m match pistol! (More pics of the FTS from Robin HERE).
    Last edited by Garvin; 20-10-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: More of Robin's pics
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

wow some great info and pics, thanks for sharing, never seen the bowkett one before, looks great , i have a 127 sport that venom moddified the piston to accept a power pulse seal of theirs, would never part with it,
    thanks again
    atb
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

Once again young Danny...good stuff & thanks 4 sharing it with us

Great post......thank's

I have a venom tuned 127 with an unusual 'bull' barrel:

See this and this and finally this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin;4600173

Second off is a [URL="http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/Garvin1/FWBMastersport4Custom.jpg"
    Bowkett custom Sport[/URL] with a less 'fancy' than usual Don Robinson stock. It has a beautifully crafted and very effective breech locking device added to guarantee the lock up is consistent. If you don't want to use it you can leave it open and rely on the original ball detent only.
    the breech lock off that one is now at the bottom of my scrap bin
    sorry mate it had to go

BBS member Gingernut has emailed these pics of his engraved and custom-stocked 127 with 124 barrel. He is keen to know more about it, if anyone has any suggestions?

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    sorry mate it had to go
    Now now Mally, no sour grapes just 'cos you haven't managed to find a Bowkett yet.

Or are you saying you've got my old one?

Seriously though, the lock is a lovely bit of work though not everyone's cup o' tea. If you want an absolutely rigid lock up it's about as good as you could get.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Blimey Garvin that was quick!
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Blimey Garvin that was quick!
    Thanks a lot.
    You're welcome.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Now now Mally, no sour grapes just 'cos you haven't managed to find a Bowkett yet.

Or are you saying you've got my old one? bingo

Seriously though, the lock is a lovely bit of work though not everyone's cup o' tea. If you want an absolutely rigid lock up it's about as good as you could get.
    remember my mate brickie dave bought that one off you
    well he had me modify it for him

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    sorry mate it had to go
    I saw that lock 'in the metal' and also thought it was a horrible horrible thing, however efficient it might have been. Not suprised Malcolm gave it its orders.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    BBS member Gingernut has emailed these pics of his engraved and custom-stocked 127 with 124 barrel. He is keen to know more about it, if anyone has any suggestions?

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    That is one of the 'specials' that The Airgun Centre in Rayleigh, Essex sold in the early 1980s. You can tell by the pattern of chequering on the fore-end, go check your AGW ads about 1982.

Ah ah at last I have info on it.
    I bought it off a young chap three years ago. It had no foresight a broken trigger and a scruffy stock. Obviously the engraving got me and it shot well.
    I blush when I recall what I paid for it but in my defence I have spent a bit on it. Not on the internals though as it still shoots well.
    Thanks Hsing-ee.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Ah ah at last I have info on it.
    I bought it off a young chap three years ago. It had no foresight a broken trigger and a scruffy stock. Obviously the engraving got me and it shot well.
    I blush when I recall what I paid for it but in my defence I have spent a bit on it. Not on the internals though as it still shoots well.
    Thanks Hsing-ee.
    I think the engraving was done by Don Blocksidge (sp?) who seemed to do all the airgun engraving back then. The Airgun Centre is still going, they used to do a 'service for life' deal, so try getting them to re-spring it when the time comes!

Seriously though, best to slip a Maccari kit if its guts need replacing, or a Bonnie & Clyde kit.