Thread: taking air rifle to france???

realhunter Guest

taking air rifle to france???

is there any way i can take my air rifle to france with me??? been offered the chance to stay at a castle with lots of rabbits foxes and wild boar would like to take my own rifle for the bunnies.

will be able to use other guns whilst there. any advice would be gratefully received

It may be, but:

from what i understand it is illegal to hunt with an air rifle in france. shooting targets in fine, as long as they aren't feather or fur.

hopefully someone will have more info in a minute!.

realhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by It deserved it...
    It may be, but:

from what i understand it is illegal to hunt with an air rifle in france. shooting targets in fine, as long as they aren't feather or fur.

hopefully someone will have more info in a minute!.
    i hope not my girlfriend is french but unfortunately doesnt know about the hunting restrictions. i dont mind if i cant but my lightning is new and would be nice to have a weeks hunting with it so i can see what she is like.

used to have a vulcan and knew the gun so well since ive had the new one i aint hit a thing!!!
    yet on paper its zeroed perfectly but on saying that it is considerably lighter.
    cheers for reply just hope your wrong

Don't want to put a downer on your plans but it is illegal to shoot live quarry with an air rifle in France (FACT).
    You would be best to leave your gun at home and use what the locals use.
    You might also want to avoid hassle with customs on either side .
    Have a nice holiday .
    AA410 carbine .
    Baikal IZH 27E-IC.

realhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfangel
    Don't want to put a downer on your plans but it is illegal to shoot live quarry with an air rifle in France (FACT).
    You would be best to leave your gun at home and use what the locals use.
    You might also want to avoid hassle with customs on either side .
    Have a nice holiday .
    oh well thats put a real downer on it . but should be a good holiday anyway

never hunted apart from airgun quarry so will be a great experience for me.

just had info from girlfriends mother and its ok for me to use guns for hunting out there so im not disheartend.

i can see a few sleeples nights coming up. any one been hunting in france or similar would like to know what its like.

will let you all know my results when i get back.

only down side is that they have lots of work for me to do round the estate when i get there so its gonna be a working,hunting and sleeping holiday.

thanks for reply much appreciated dont fancy getting nicked in a foreign country when i cant speak the lingo

French girlfriend, staying in France, and you're going to be sleeping..????? (As well as working and hunting).

You must be older than I think Trev.
    To be good, one must do good.

realhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie
    French girlfriend, staying in France, and you're going to be sleeping..????? (As well as working and hunting).

You must be older than I think Trev.
    some passions are stronger than others and my hunting is always stronger lol. and for your info im only 34.

but saying that ive still got my eye for the birds usually pidgoen and corvids.

maybe i will fit in a bit of the other as long as it doesnt interfere with my hunting.

amazing how kids ruin your love life lol

Platinum Guest

Taking air rifle to France???

Yes, it's definitely illegal to hunt with any power air rifle in France and I think it's illegal to take an air rifle into the country...

But you can take in two cartridge rifles of non-military calibre if you have an FAC and a European firearms passport...

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be a rimfire in the castle armoury! If not, it could be interesting to shoot a bunny off the castle walls with a rifle made for dropping boars.

Barry

realhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    Yes, it's definitely illegal to hunt with any power air rifle in France and I think it's illegal to take an air rifle into the country...

But you can take in two cartridge rifles of non-military calibre if you have an FAC and a European firearms passport...

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be a rimfire in the castle armoury! If not, it could be interesting to shoot a bunny off the castle walls with a rifle made for dropping boars.

Barry
    wont leave much for the pot though!!!

still i suppose it saves paunching it

John Henry 1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by realhunter
    i hope not my girlfriend is french but unfortunately doesnt know about the hunting restrictions. i dont mind if i cant but my lightning is new and would be nice to have a weeks hunting with it so i can see what she is like.

used to have a vulcan and knew the gun so well since ive had the new one i aint hit a thing!!!
    yet on paper its zeroed perfectly but on saying that it is considerably lighter.
    cheers for reply just hope your wrong
    Am sure you can find something more interesting to do on your hols with your nice French girlfiend than shooting rabbits
    cheers

Landswehr Guest
    The bad news is that your UK air rifle is well over the limit, power-wise for France. This means it will be classified as a 'declarable' weapon which will require a British FAC and an International Firearms Permit in order to move it around inside the EU.

Once in France (You WON'T be flying will you - with a RIFLE! ) you will have to register it with the local Gendarmerie...in French and in person.....with your passport and all your UK paprwork, including bill of sale to prove ownership.

Getting it back again past YOUR customs should be a laugh!

Once here, you still cannot legally hunt for 2 reasons: (1) Hunting with air rifles is illegal in France and (2) You need a hunting permit (Permis de Chasse) for which you have to pass a test.

In short, it's not worth the hassle.

The good news is that this is France. Depending on how rural your location is going to be, you may find that a local Farmer will be quite happy to lend you a battered rimmie if you're going to be popping off his pigeons (They don't shoot corvids - they are of the opinion they do a useful job) and rats (as long as you buy the ammo - which you can do with no paperwork).

If it's VERY rural, you may even get the local cop asking for a go.......!

Hope that helps.

realhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhrhodes
    Am sure you can find something more interesting to do on your hols with your nice French girlfiend than shooting rabbits
    cheers

i did ask if she fancied being chased through the forest but she didnt seem interested unless she had the gun and was chasing ME. funny that!!!!

realhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Landswehr
    The bad news is that your UK air rifle is well over the limit, power-wise for France. This means it will be classified as a 'declarable' weapon which will require a British FAC and an International Firearms Permit in order to move it around inside the EU.

Once in France (You WON'T be flying will you - with a RIFLE! ) you will have to register it with the local Gendarmerie...in French and in person.....with your passport and all your UK paprwork, including bill of sale to prove ownership.

Getting it back again past YOUR customs should be a laugh!

Once here, you still cannot legally hunt for 2 reasons: (1) Hunting with air rifles is illegal in France and (2) You need a hunting permit (Permis de Chasse) for which you have to pass a test.

In short, it's not worth the hassle.

The good news is that this is France. Depending on how rural your location is going to be, you may find that a local Farmer will be quite happy to lend you a battered rimmie if you're going to be popping off his pigeons (They don't shoot corvids - they are of the opinion they do a useful job) and rats (as long as you buy the ammo - which you can do with no paperwork).

If it's VERY rural, you may even get the local cop asking for a go.......!

Hope that helps.
    thats a great help. luckily the place i am giong to has ample land so should be going with the land owner and another to do the hunting they both have the required permits needed to hunt.

so as long as they know the land and the boundaries shouldnt be a problem!!

dont mind not shooting its just a good experience to try some different hunting. as said in previous reply only done small vermin shooting so looking forward to it.

definately leaving my gun at home dont want to go through all the aggro with customs and other authorities. i like my life to be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by realhunter
    i like my life to be simple.
    With a French girlfriend? I tried one once. Filling her up with food got one result..... (hehehe).

But mad as a hatter. Used to break up at least once a month. (?)

Definately, definately, not boring. Would happily have her back tomorrow if I could get valium to help me cope.

Good luck.
    To be good, one must do good.