Thread: Peep sights advice wanted

Peep sights advice wanted

Hi all, just bought a BSA International 22lr Martini target rifle with Parker Hale peep sights. Can't tell you any more as I am waiting delivery.

I've never used/adjusted peep sights & other than the 'ignore the aperture & concentrate on front sight', I have not a clue really

Before I make an arse of myself at the range, is there any tips you know of which might help ??

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Hi all, just bought a BSA International 22lr Martini target rifle with Parker Hale peep sights. Can't tell you any more as I am waiting delivery.

I've never used/adjusted peep sights & other than the 'ignore the aperture & concentrate on front sight', I have not a clue really

Before I make an arse of myself at the range, is there any tips you know of which might help ??

Cheers Dave
    I don't think you need to know much more really Dave. I've used numerous peep sights, vintage and modern. Adjustment is simple and precise, pretty much like a scope really. If you've got one of those bore sighter laser jobbies, you could familiarise yourself with the adjustments before 'going public'.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

edbear2 Guest
    HI Dave...as Garvin says, there is not much that can go wrong...however, it depends on the ambient light available what size hole in the aperture works best...this is why they often have aperture units with several choices....obviously the larger the hole, the more light transmission, and many people (myself included) when using these sights for the first time, make the mistake of thinking that the smallest hole possible will be more accurate...this is not usually the case

You don't say what style of foresight element you will be using....have a look here;

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.htm

A great website, with tons of info!......also there are more than a few classic smallbore books which go into great detail.....have a search for "smallbore target shooting" by W.H. Fuller, (these turn up on auction sites...don't pay silly "collectors" prices!)

Sometimes though...too much reading can get you tied up in knots....the best thing is to get some range time in and see how you go...fellow shooters should normally be only to happy to help!

Thanks for the replies chaps. I have already found that site
    "Ed?" & it is very informative. I think I am getting a set of fore sight discs as it was vaguely mentioned on sales gen, & there is a disc box on fore stock
    I expect someone still makes them if not!
    Dave

Using aperture sights isn't rocket science, although understanding the mechanics of how they work isn't simple. The important points are to get the eye-relief, aperture size, and foresight size correct.

Eye-relief governs the focus on the foresight. If the rearsight aperture is too close, it's harder for the eye to focus on the foresight. Start with a distance of 1.5-2in; slide the rearsight back and forth until the foresight looks as sharp as possible. Unless you're young (i.e under 25, or are long sighted) the target will be slightly out of focus. So long as it's still clear enough to centre, don't worry and get the foresight sharp.

The size of the rearsight aperture helps to fine tune the brightness of the sight picture. If the range is dark, or you shoot with a very long eye-releif, you 'll want a larger aperture to compensate. Most P-H sights have a 6-aprture disc, going from 0.03-0.08" in 0.01" steps. Start with holes 2 and 3 (0.04" and 0.05").

If using a ring foresight rather than a post, the size of the target helps to determine the size of ring you need. The ring needs to be 1.5-2X the size of the target. This gives a nice thick ring of light between target and ring; the contrast between ring, light, and target helps you to centre the target without your eye focusing on it. If the ring is too small it's harder to centre the target, especially if your aim isn't rock steady. For NSRA 25 yard targets, try an aperture of 3.5-4.0mm (0.13-0.16").

As for adjustment, the clicks will be either 1/4 or 1/8 MoA. From memory Mki and II Internationals had 1/4 minute clicks, Mk III, IV and V Internationals had 1/8 minute clicks. Turn the turrets clockwise to move the shots up (top turret) or right (side turret). Turn anti-clockwise to move the shots down and left.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    I expect someone still makes them if not!
    Dave
    Helston gunsmiths normally have some some, and they come up on eb@y very often.....A seller near Bisley was selling new repros a while back, and Fultons of Bisley may be worth a try....

Also there are some great ones made by Lee Shaver....especially for Americans who use these sights on big bore B.P. guns..(this sets fits the FS22 and similar)..I have a couple of sets of these exact elements somewhere, new and sealed which I bought while working in the USA....if you get stuck, give me a PM, and I will have a hunt for them.

Just had a look at my notes I used to shoot a Martini ISU all I have is if zeroed at 25 yards the going up will put you near enough on the Bull at 50 yards also when you want to adjust go the opposite way to Anschutz sights i.e. turning the elevation wheel clockwise will raise the fall of your shot turning the windage wheel away from you will move your shot to the right,,beautiful rifles to shoot,you could also try James Hallam of the classic Gun Company of London for parts,
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil