Thread: Eyepatch ?

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.

Eyepatch ?

I've recently acquired a fwb 300s , fancied trying something different and also hoping to hone my standing shot skills

Having only used scoped rifles i'm used to shooting both eyes open,
    something i cannot do using the FWB,

Trouble is the closed eye feels left out and twitches/flickers whilst trying to shoot, maybe perseverance would train the eye to behave however i thought about an eyepatch,

Does anyone use one or an alternative?

I'm not looking for olympic standard but any hints/tips would be welcome

atb jay
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

I use an eye blinder for pistol shooting, for rifle though it's more common to attach the blinder to the sight itself, like this:

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog..._Sighting.html (half way down)

I made one from a plastic milk bottle that goes behind the iris
    Not sent from an iPhone.

Hi Jay,

I use a "blinder", no, not a poke in the eye but a narrow strip of paper held on with a headband. Ideally you need to keep both eyes open to allow light to both pupils, so no big pirate patch, otherwise the sighting eye gets tired and strained and sight picture deteriates, closely followed by scores!!!
    A strip of card (from an old target) about the width of your finger, no more, placed in your headband and positioned in front of your non sighting eye (obviously). When positioned correctly you will have both eyes open and gathering light but the clear sight picture will be from your sighting eye only. Hope this makes sense?

Bing!

Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    I've recently acquired a fwb 300s , fancied trying something different and also hoping to hone my standing shot skills

Having only used scoped rifles i'm used to shooting both eyes open,
    something i cannot do using the FWB,

Trouble is the closed eye feels left out and twitches/flickers whilst trying to shoot, maybe perseverance would train the eye to behave however i thought about an eyepatch,

Does anyone use one or an alternative?

I'm not looking for olympic standard but any hints/tips would be welcome

atb jay
    Do we need to bring a parrot up to the club for you Jay?

Ideally you need to block the sight path but not the ambient light levels. So something translucent would be better than a full blacked out patch.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    Do we need to bring a parrot up to the club for you Jay?

Ideally you need to block the sight path but not the ambient light levels. So something translucent would be better than a full blacked out patch.

Mark
    If any trick or treaters appear over the weekend dressed as pirates.. look out

Maybe some of the frosted glass from the bathroom window

I'm sure i can knock something up in the workshed tommorow now i've got some pointers, cue the A-Team music

Thanks for the ideas guys
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Hi

I just use a headband with half an eley ammo box lid which works for me

Alan

keeping the unsighting eye relaxed is key, as is matching it to what the sighting eye sees in light intensity... the eyes will try and pair up and balance each other, hence something frosted is the usual solution...

tracing paper or greaseproof paper folded might offer a solution

Jayt, why cant you use FWB with both eyes open? Thats always best..
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by barrow_matt View Post
    I use an eye blinder for pistol shooting, for rifle though it's more common to attach the blinder to the sight itself, like this:

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog..._Sighting.html (half way down)

I made one from a plastic milk bottle that goes behind the iris
    Done exactly that and seems to work a treat, mind i've had ten cups of tea this morning just to finish the milk off

I was lucky that i had the bellows fitted to the rear sight so i cut the hole smaller then forced the bellows through so it sat snug in the second section without moving,

I'll do a few 10m cards later and see how i fair, thanks again,jay

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The eyes are also ballance receptors, for standing shooting a close patch would not help, the big blinder on the rearsight can also have an influence, and impair your ability to control sway. The ideal blinder is a small one just wide enough to block the line of vision to the target but allow you to see either side of it, idealy mounted forward of the eye on glasses frame or hat.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The eyes are also ballance receptors, for standing shooting a close patch would not help, the big blinder on the rearsight can also have an influence, and impair your ability to control sway. The ideal blinder is a small one just wide enough to block the line of vision to the target but allow you to see either side of it, idealy mounted forward of the eye on glasses frame or hat.
    Good Shooting
    Robin

Thanks Robin. As ever from you, great advice (in addition to the advice from others on this thread) as I was wondering the very some thing myself!!!