Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump it up, you just gotta pump it up!

Sniper 296 Guest

Pump it up, you just gotta pump it up!

Could I have some info on pumps.

What I would like to know is the pros and cons of a pump,
    What are avarege second hand prices,
    Shall I buy new or second hand?

Thanks all!

Mart

Hello,

Pumps are great!! They are simple to use, and very convenient... good for keeping fit too!

Dependant on required pressure, they are not too strenuous to use... I fill my Daystate X2 from empty in about 30 strokes, but anything requiring more than 200bar can be quite hard work.

It is important that the air pumped into your gun is completely moisture free, so this means that gun and pump should be at exactly the same ambient temperature, ie if you take the pump out of a warm cupboard into a colder temperature, there is a chance that condensation will form inside the pump barrell, which will be transferred into the guns cylinder. I always put my guns and pump into the same room for at least an hour, so that the temperature equalises.

It is also VERY important that you clean the pump adaptor and rifle valve before using the pump, as and muck from either will be pumped into the gun by the high pressure, and this can damage the seals.

If you are careful with it's use, it is a quick, and convenient way to recharge your gun.

Incidentally, you can now buy an inline moisture filter for the pump... cost about £40.

Regards,

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

sneaky beaky Guest
    pro's... unlimited portable air (tried taking a 12 ltr, even to the car )... con's... it takes a fair ammount of effort to pump up a gun... pro's a 3ltr 300 bar will be light enough to take anywhere... con's... you will get to know the guy at the dive shop really well

it depends on what you want... some say a pump (and this may well be true) cannot supply the moiusture free air a bottle doe's... but if it is fitted with a filter... its a close second.

have used both without a problem d/bottle for fill up's and pump as back-up for low bottle...

some would never use pump's... some swear by em... tricky box of frog's really

me... 12ltr, 3 ltr, lazy git... would recommend a good pump/filtered until you get a d/bottle.

hope this kinda helps

a.t.b (p.s drunk when posting, im shure you will get better info ) *hic*

Addidas are very comfy and wear well. However, if you are working to a budget, Dunlop Green Flash are quite nice.

Soz. Couldn't resist

Sniper 296 Guest
    interesting......

With pumps do I still need a quick fill adapter? or such like?

RochdaleLad Guest
    Yep.

Basically, the pump replaces the bottle in the refilling system So you still need QF adaptor, hose etc.

Different if you have a Rapid though - that just screws into the base of the pump (Logun type).

I gave up on my pump after about 6months. Mainly because it developed a fault, and I CBA'd pumping a 400cc bottle up too many times. Went out and bought a s/h 7ltr 300 BAR bottle

Pumps are good if you're a cheap basta*d or are fit, but don't take _that_ much effort to pump a "normal" gun (S400 etc.)

A new pump is about the same price as a s/h bottle, so if you really want a pump I'd go second hand, but try and check the pump out before you buy it.

HTH,
    David.

Pumps

Excellent advice from the guys, average price for a secondhand pump, 55 - 65 beer tokens, I have had the Logun and the Webley pumps, and found the Webley easier to pump.

Also the pumps are under a fair amount of stress when pumping (so are you!), so a new one might be a good idea, (I've bought two secondhand and one of them didn't last very long).

Regards

Ben
    Last edited by master_shriller; 19-12-2004 at 01:12 AM.

RochdaleLad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by master_shriller
    Also the pumps are under a fair amount of stress when pumping (so are you!), so a new one might be a good idea, (I've bought two secondhand and one of them didn't last very long).

Regards

Ben
    Seconded. Mine was OK, but like I said after about 6 months of constant use (and little to no maintenance) it just gave up the ghost. One of the seals went, I think. It's now in bits waiting for me to fix it

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    I have an RWS pump, its been fine so far, and doesnt really take a lot of effort.
    My only complaint is when shooting at the club ,after my 60 or so shots I have to go do it there and then, which is a pain in the ****, though not a reflection on the pump, just on pumps in general

maty j is offline Nothing ventured, Nothing gained
    i use a axor pump for my s400 and its ok. not to hard but will get you in good shape. hasnt bust yet and is verry good at stoping moisture. with a dive bottle youll have to get it tested etc so another point to consider. if you were just starting in pcps i would get a pump imo.

i have two pumps both hills pumps they are now about 3 years old they are in constant use we have two falcon raptors one aa410 and my pcp ratcatcher both pumps have been rebuilt twice seals from hills are very cheap and come by return of post as for the moisture bueiness i service all the guns regularly including cylinder strips never any problems hope this helps.

engineer

Sniper 296 Guest
    A pump it is then! cheers guys!

Cheers for all of this help.

Mart

Quote Originally Posted by RochdaleLad
    Pumps are good if you're a cheap basta*d or are fit, but don't take _that_ much effort to pump a "normal" gun (S400 etc.)
    Don't quite understand this???? Cheap?? Pumps are around the same price as a bottle, indeed I have seen new bottles and hoses cheaper than I have ever seen a pump, but generally, the smaller bottle sets are around the same price.

I have a Hills pump, not the cheapest, but the workmanship and quality is absolutely outstanding. The precision needed to build these is of the highest standard, and knowledge necessary to maintain them is very basic. There's no reason, if properly maintained, why they shouldn't last for years.

As I said earlier, no problem at all to use, with even a basic fitness level. I'm over 50, and whilst it takes a minute or so longer than using a bottle, I have no problems at all, so all you youngsters out there........

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

Sniper 296 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by savantuk
    As I said earlier, no problem at all to use, with even a basic fitness level. I'm over 50, and whilst it takes a minute or so longer than using a bottle, I have no problems at all, so all you youngsters out there........

Doug
    No problem here then I am only 18!

Quote Originally Posted by engineer
    both pumps have been rebuilt twice seals from hills are very cheap and come by return of post

engineer
    Do you have the phone number for Hills? My pump needs a rebuild
    Pumping should be done fairly slowly, too fast and heat builds up which isnt a good thing as lubrication breaks down