Thread: Another old beginner - East Suffolk

Another old beginner - East Suffolk

I used air rifles as a boy in the Sixties; I now have two sons, nine and sixteen, and after they found my old Webley Junior pistol they expressed interest, so I bought a BSA Cadet, (an air rifle of the type that I used as a boy and can remember) from an old friend who, conveniently, is a farmer.

I think that boys should grow up knowing how to use an air gun responsibly, on the principle that, if they do, they are unlikely to be silly around firearms in later life.

Which leads to two questions:

The more important one is that I believe that proper training is advisable for my boys - forty or fifty years ago one just got a gun, some pellets and a warning to "be sensible with it" but times have changed!

Am I right? And where does one go for this - would a local club be the place, or would they just groan?

The second question is that since my own taste and interest is really confined to Ancient British springers, which I have some hope of understanding, what is a good rabbiting Webley?

Thanks in advance.

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    Hi and welcome

Clubs are great ways to get introduced to the sport! Safety is paramount, as you rightly say

Can't help with your rifle query, but I'm sure someone else will be along soon

Hi & welcome.

Sounds like your boys will be just fine with you as a mentor but the lads would probably love it at a club also.

Springerwise, the old ones are lower powered than todays rifles, personally I'd get a HW(Weihrauch) or an Air Arms off the secondhand section on here.

Rgds

dave.

Hello!

Thank you all very much. I hope that one day I may be able to offer advice but at present I need to receieve it!

hi and welcome