Thread: Pistol grips

Pistol grips

Hi,

Ime a newbie here and wondered if anyone could help with some advice.
    I have a Twinmaster Action 10m pistol.
    It came with the universal grip, and i find that its a bit shall we say,, vague in the hand.
    Although you can get the anotomical grip for it, priced at around £120, i was wondering if anyone knew how or where to get one made to actualy fit my hand properly?
    Ive thought about trying to make my own but, to be honest i wouldnt know how to start, and ive never been any good working with wood.
    If theres a way to split wood i can do it without even trying to.
    Any help or advice would be most welcome.
    Thanks.

Hi Dave,

I can't give you any specific advice on your gun as I don't know .... But some generic thoughts may help:
    £120 doesn't sound too expensive for a good grip - but is it worth spending that on your gun, when with all due respect, it will still be a Rohm, just an expensive one. This is your call - how much do you like the gun?

To get a craftsman to make you a new grip will cost more than this.

You could use some filler to reshape your existing grip to give you some improvement. You'll ned a dremmel or something to shape properly - with a bit of care you could get reasonable results. Chances are you'll be reducing the re-sale value of your gun though.

You could buy a 'walnut blank' on fleabay for about a fiver - and using a dremmel build a grip from scratch yourself. This is not as hard as it sounds - but will take time and effort; and it leaves your original grip untouched should it all end in tears. Good fun trying though - just do it outside as there is a lot of dust.

But I think this option is the most sensible - trade your gun in for one which already has a decent grip (which will probably only require minor filling/sanding to make it suit you perfectly). If you buy a Walther/Morini/whatever you will also be getting a better trigger and all round better gun than your Rohm. If you need multishot (is the Twinmaster a five shot?) then you are probably looking for a Steyr LP50, which secondhand will be somewhere between £650 and £900 depending on condition. Maybe an older LP5 would be a bit cheaper; but they don't come up for sale very often. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

McT

pistol grip

Hi McT,

Thanks for your advice its very welcome.
    I didnt know you could buy wood blanks on fleabay so will take a look.
    The Twinmaster i have can be used as a 5 shot , but as i use it for 10m target shooting i keep it on single shot.
    I know the Rohm is not a top of the range gun but cash is at a premium at the minute so i have to make do with what i have and try to improve on it.
    Thanks again for your advice anyway.
    Dave.

Sure someone was selling a selection of Rohm grips on here recently

Thanks mate but, i carnt get onto the for sale or swap pages yet.
    Seems i havnt posted enough yet,,,,, most annoying.

Pistol Grips

Hi All,

Just to let you all know that i had a go at making my own grip and as usual made a spactacular cockup of it.
    Splintered it, like i said, ime totaly useless when it comes to working with wood.
    Anyway, i got lucky and found a guy that made a grip for one of our club members.
    Went along to see him, he took some measurements of my hand and fashioned a fantastic grip for me, all for £50.
    Fantastic guy, as for my scores? well, they have improved no end.
    Thanks for all your input guys it was much appreciated.

Great news Dave. Glad you got it sorted.