Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone ever decide to go "all manual"?

I have owned a Co2 pistol for a short while, a Umarex CP92 I think it was, but gave it to a friend because it just didn't do anything for me. I love shooting air pistols, I own a lot, seven Webleys, five Hy-Scores, two BSA Scorpions, a Baikal, a Gamo, an Abas Major, a Record Jumbo, a Record Champion, an HW45, an Em-Ge Zenit, a Lovena Lov-2 and a Champion G50. It's not the fact that you are reliant on a source of powerlets particularly that bothers me, I just found it a bit unrewarding to shoot and also didn't like the amount of alloy working parts in it. My Webley Tempest, which is the pistol I shoot most often and get the most enjoyment and satisfaction from, is almost entirely steel in its working parts and provided I look after it, it will outlive me, whereas all the Co2 guns I have seen have seemed like little more than toys in comparison. They have poor sealing around the mags, are made of soft alloys and do not inspire confidence or give you the feel of a quality air pistol. I'm sorry if that offends some of the fans of Co2 guns on here but it's just the way I feel. Give me a classic British spring pistol like a Webley overlever or a BSA Scorpion any day.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I'm sorry if that offends some of the fans of Co2 guns on here but it's just the way I feel. Give me a classic British spring pistol like a Webley overlever or a BSA Scorpion any day.
    I don't think you'll offend anyone, IPAS and PP is the answer, if you haven't tried either or have tried them & don't like them then you have no need for a multi-shot pistol but competing in IPAS and Practical Pistol timed events is impossible without something capable of the shot count & rate of a cartridge pistol or revolver,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I'm not giving up my CO2 Smith and I'm not recommending anyone give up any guns of theirs: but with the cost and hassle of C02, batteries, green gas, air tanks etc., I was just wondering whether any of you decided to stick entirely with guns that can be operated without any external power source: springers and SSP's and pump-ups?

Jim
    The compleat pistol-shooter-about-town, really must have both types.
    I don't like my S&W because I can't shoot it. I like the my rohm but although they're less accurate in my hands I get more fun from my HW75 and 45.

Give a Gamo a go

Try either a Gamo AF10 or its older brother the PR15, single stroke pneumatic but both can be fed from the internal mag holding 10 Gamo BB's.

Great fun with out the cost of CO2

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Try either a Gamo AF10 or its older brother the PR15, single stroke pneumatic but both can be fed from the internal mag holding 10 Gamo BB's.

Great fun with out the cost of CO2
    Interesting...multishot without CO2.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I don't like my S&W because I can't shoot it.
    Why not?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I don't think you'll offend anyone, IPAS and PP is the answer, if you haven't tried either or have tried them & don't like them then you have no need for a multi-shot pistol but competing in IPAS and Practical Pistol timed events is impossible without something capable of the shot count & rate of a cartridge pistol or revolver,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Agreed. For slow, precise action there's no need for multishot capability. Although you might want CO2 or PCP propulsion if it's a serious bullseye comp, just to avoid wasting energy on cocking or pumping.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    The AF10 is actually slightly more versatile in that it can also fire pellets single shot, and access to the barrel for loading is very good - better than most other overlever-style SSPs (the barrel extends almost to the rear of the overlever assembly, which is completely open at its rear end).

The downside, in my opinion, is that it isn't as solidly built as the other Gamo SSP pistols. The PR15 (15 shot ball only), and single shot PR45 and Compact all have some common parts among them; the AF10 is a quite distinct design and the overlever (in particular) and barrel seem rather lightly built. As far as I can tell, the magazine design cannot use a breech seal, so power may be less than expected for the effort put in.

Iain