Thread: Original 50

Thumbs up Original 50

Hi there, thanks very much for an informative post. I am replacing the main spring on an Original Model 50 and have followed your instructions. Everything seemed to go fine as you outlined. However, after putting it all back together again - the gun will not cock. The cocking lever goes all the way to the rear, but the action is not held at cock. I do not really understand the way the ball bearing sear works so would be grateful for any information that. If you have any pointers for what else to look for I would be grateful

MODERATORS: please move this thread and the previous one that asked the question to Collectables or General. I think we need to keep the Idiots Guide to instructions not questions.

But to answer the question: assuming that you have assembled the parts correctly...I suggest: If you can, mount gun securely and watch what happens when you try to cock it ... does the spring become coil bound? If you cannot see this, strip gun again and rebuild but without the spring. Try to cock and if the sears engage then there must be something that stops the piston moving far enough back.
    Have you used a new spring? Does it have more coils than the original one? Have you added preload washers in piston or at the trigger block?
    It is a matter of elimination that may need you to remove washers or a coil off the spring.
    Cheers, Phil